+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Before I waste $25 on Teleport...

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
i have a few questions since i dont really know much about this kinda thing. first, do i have to be connected to the same network as my mac to
    iPhone? More like MyPhone iRoach74's Avatar
    Thanks
    Default Before I waste $25 on Teleport...
    i have a few questions since i dont really know much about this kinda thing. first, do i have to be connected to the same network as my mac to use this or can i do it anywhere i have any sort of connection. also, can i access my mac while it is off? or does it have to be turned on to be accessable by this app? and can some one please explain the full functionality of this app? i read something about flash??

thanks in advance for any replys

iPhone? More like MyPhone 808mp5's Avatar
    Thanks

i would try to google the app... there has to be reviews on it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 808mp5 For This Useful Post:

ninjoshua (08-07-2008)

Thanks
    thanks for the quick reply and helpful info! *end sarcasm

Green Apple
    Thanks

It doesn't work with UltraVNC so I do not like it. It still needs some work. MochaVNC does though and it does everything I need it to for $4.99.

Sorry...I just read what you were asking. It will work from anywhere if you have a public IP with your ISP.
    Last edited by 4nic8tor; 08-06-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 4nic8tor For This Useful Post:

iRoach74 (08-06-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me dirtybird1977's Avatar
    Thanks

I have used Teleport and MochoVNC Both do basically the same thing but the apps are miles apart. I used both in combination with TightVNC I used both on the same network as well as setting up a static IP and port forwarding. While MochoVNC does basically what you want for only $4.99 the interface is quite lacking and screen refresh worked sometimes very slow and clunky. As far as Teleport, I give it a 4 out of 5! I was blown away. Partially because I was using MochaVNC as a starting comparison. Teleport's interface is quite pleasing and the highest point on my list was the screen refresh. It was quite responsive almost instantainious at times. I tried this over a broadband wifi signal as well as a 3G signal. I almost could not tell the difference. I would highly suggest Teleport if you want an app that really looks put together or Mocha if you just want to play around with it.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtybird1977 For This Useful Post:

iRoach74 (08-06-2008)

Thanks
    what about vine server?

Green Apple
    Thanks

How does teleport rate to VNsea?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Teleport is 100% Touchpad Pro. Mocha VNC lacks in features. So if youve ever used Touchpad Pro youll know what to expect.

Rip
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adplaya View Post
    Teleport is 100% Touchpad Pro. Mocha VNC lacks in features. So if youve ever used Touchpad Pro youll know what to expect.
    I would say it's more like 120%!

Extremely well implemented compared to other remote desktop apps for iPhone.

Teleport will allow you to control you mac/pc as if you were sitting in front of it and see what is on the screen/screens (it supports extended desktop).

One of the uses I put it to is when viewing my PC on my projector screen. I can control everything without the need for keyboard or mouse.

You can access your mac/pc from anywhere in the world once you have set up no-ip or similar for emailing yourself files etc. or providing support for someone.

To answer the original OPs question, you will need to have your mac turned on to access it. I did see a wake on lan app for the iPhone that you could maybe use to wake your mac up but it will need to be 'on' at least.

What you read about flash refers to being able to view flash websites on your iPhone by viewing them on your mac/pc via Teleport.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rip For This Useful Post:

iRoach74 (08-07-2008), ninjoshua (08-07-2008)

Thanks
    ok. thanks everyone

Thanks

Here's something for your reference. First Look: Teleport, new VNC client for the iPhone - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) Don't forget to click the thanks button

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sayam For This Useful Post:

ninjoshua (08-07-2008)

Thanks

Teleport stinks on my PC! First it doesn't use ultraVNC (which I think is a better vnc server) So I had to install tight vnc. Screen refreshes are really slow. Also its control's are counter to "iphone way" of screen of scrolling. You have to move the mouse in the direction you want to go. Where as with Mocha vnc, photos, safari windows etc, you side your finger to the right to move the screen to the left.
    I hope they fix the issues because I blew way $25 based on reviews on web. Right now mocha VNC wins hands down (at least with pc's)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does it play nice with Leopard's built in VNC server (back to my mac essentially)?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i can connect while i'm at work--we have wire and wireless at work. my itouch connects fine there. now at home it times out when trying to connect

is there a setting i need to change to access the desktop from home? i thought since it worked there it would work anywhere i had access to a wireless signal

Rip
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakayvakid View Post
    i can connect while i'm at work--we have wire and wireless at work. my itouch connects fine there. now at home it times out when trying to connect

is there a setting i need to change to access the desktop from home? i thought since it worked there it would work anywhere i had access to a wireless signal
    It's certainly not the program - more likely a router issue. Contact the develoer, he's really helpful.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteo View Post
    Teleport stinks on my PC! First it doesn't use ultraVNC (which I think is a better vnc server) So I had to install tight vnc. Screen refreshes are really slow. Also its control's are counter to "iphone way" of screen of scrolling. You have to move the mouse in the direction you want to go. Where as with Mocha vnc, photos, safari windows etc, you side your finger to the right to move the screen to the left.
    I hope they fix the issues because I blew way $25 based on reviews on web. Right now mocha VNC wins hands down (at least with pc's)

I was also using it on a PC with UltraVNC. So perhaps Teleport is a good option for a Mac but if you need VNC on a PC MochaVNC is much better. However, now that WinAdmin is out you can use remote desktop and it is much more secure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Teleport's 1.1 update did a lot of little unforeseen things (tweaking) that made it go from half azz working to a great app IMO. I preferred Mocha before the update, now "Jaadu" has surpassed Mocha.

The biggest improvement is in the scrolling feature, it works now...... correctly. Navigation has finally came back to being as good as touchpad pro, which was by far the best in terms of doing what you wanted it to do when you told it to.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah, I only tried the very first Teleport release too so perhaps it is worth another shot.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm very happy with MochaVNC. Just make sure you install the latest beta version of UltraVNC. (I'm on Windows Vista x86)