+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The Converter (previously known as Converter on 1.x)

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Just purchased 'The Converter' from the app. store, here's the quick review: I really liked this app (called simply Converter) on 1.x, it was easily one of the apps I
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default The Converter (previously known as Converter on 1.x)
    Just purchased 'The Converter' from the app. store, here's the quick review:

I really liked this app (called simply Converter) on 1.x, it was easily one of the apps I used the most and had a great UI. The Converter came out today for 2.0 so I had to grab it.

The Converter > Home

Pros: an INSANE amount of conversions, all the way from clothing sizes to data transfer to luminance. Currency is included as well, and is easily updated by shaking the iphone. The interface is uncluttered and presents multiple conversions, and the massive amount of conversions can be customized. Search feature to find specific units.

Cons: jumpy performance (1st Gen iPhone). UI, although uncluttered, has no 'simple mode' like it used too. Both of these items are slated to be fixed in the next update.

Comparison: I also have 'Units' which I used before The Converter was released to 2.0. Units UI is more pleasing, but actually selecting what you want to convert takes more time than with The Converter. 'Units' looks like it works better, but I get results faster with The Converter. Overall, The Converter gets the nod for it's ultra-comprehensive list of conversions and relative speed of getting results, even if they're not presented as cleanly as 'Units'

Summary: Well worth the $0.99 and more units than 'Units'. Bringing back the 'simple mode' will make this app even better, and should make the UI more accessible for folks wanting a more straightforward approach like 'Units'.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tiorio For This Useful Post:

ninjoshua (08-04-2008)