+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple has really dropped the ball with the AppStore...

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I am infuriated, absolutely infuriated with Apple's AppStore selection process at this point... I was under the impression that the whole point of the AppStore developer "screening process" was to
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Apple has really dropped the ball with the AppStore...
    I am infuriated, absolutely infuriated with Apple's AppStore selection process at this point...
    I was under the impression that the whole point of the AppStore developer "screening process" was to ensure quality control; make sure that only the good applications made it into the pockets of iPhone owners and weeded out the bad coding and the bad ideas. I now firmly believe that Apple has very little strategy for the AppStore screening process. Why else would miserable applications be in the AppStore, while useful Applications like turn-by-turn GPS, Video recording, and various games from the jailbreak scene are forced to wait?

My examples of horrible applications in the AppStore (you be the judge):

-Crazy Lighter, Crazy Candle, Crazy Spark, Encore! ($.99) - all these games do is display a candle, lighter or sparkler in looped video on the screen.

-Crazy Face, Moo Box,Woo Button ($.99) - make annoying noises

-Esteem Aid, Rotary Dialer, iStapler, iRepublican, iDemocrat (pretty much anything by Shekhar Yadav) - these applications don't really do anything useful or look that entertaining, yet are on the appstore before any Video Recording applications

Anybody want to explain this miserable phenomenon to me, please? I am very curious why absolute junk is allowed in the AppStore, but what we have been waiting for (Copy/Paste, Video Recording, MMS) is still absent.

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Although I love the App Store, I have to agree. 50% of the apps shouldnt even be in there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

Theres also a lot of great apps on there too like Monkey Ball, Palringo, Tap Tap Revence, Break Classic, Bewjeweled, Bomberman, AquaForest, Crash Bandicoot, Chopper, Bubblebash is alright, Brainchallnege is really good, HoldEm is awesome, hanmanslim simple but fun app, de blob s interesting, Enigmo awesome, cro-mag pretty fun, Trism, Tetris is amazing it works exactly like it should all the free ones that were in installer don't compare definitely worth getting if you like Tetris! Pinball is fun, Pianist is fun, montoracer kind of hard to use but good app, Muddle great app, Pacman works great, Scrabble, Vay (RPG for iphone) Labryinth, Chess, solitare, pool, Starsmasher

there all pretty much games but I hear what you mean and don't worry VideoRecorder is coming to 2.0 they submitted it to appstore but waiting to see if getting accepted and if not going to be able to use on jailbroken iphones which my 2.0 is. Also Swirly MMS is in the works for 2.0 and so all that leaves is copy and paste!

I also am hoping Kate comes to 2.0 soon and the taskbar notificions for (sms, email ect)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Emir S.'s Avatar
    Thanks

The answer is quite simple.....if it passes the rules, it's in.....regardless how low quality, useless, etc the app might be.

Most of the things people wish for, do something outside of the boundries that Apple has set.

I claimed a long time ago that the JB sellection will contain more usefull apps compared to the App store due to the rules set.
    I was right.
    Not sure why people expected more.
    Last edited by Emir S.; 08-03-2008 at 01:56 PM.

Rip
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Additionally, why are apps that are country specific, New Zealand TV for example, available in the UK store and universal apps like EBay and Pay Pal not available in the UK app store.

And reviews are only seen in the country store where they were written, so an app can have really bad reviews in one country and non, or worse still, positive, in another.

Apple need to get a grip on quality control before all trust is lost.

Green Apple
    Thanks

why the hell did you buy those apps??

it's like complaining to the manager in the supermarket because some cookies are more delicious than other...

Thanks

There is teleport, the best vnc app ever made for the iphone.

Thanks

The App Store is much like 98% of the rest iTunes' paid offerings (music/videos/etc.). JUNK. But, there's $$$$$ to be made, so Apple keeps there cause someone's going to buy it, and they get to keep their part. Don't expect it to change anytime soon.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kargod View Post
    Anybody want to explain this miserable phenomenon to me, please? I am very curious why absolute junk is allowed in the AppStore, but what we have been waiting for (Copy/Paste, Video Recording, MMS) is still absent.
    Sorry to break this to you, but none of the apps you want will ever be in the AppStore.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Travace's Avatar
    Thanks

there is lots of good apps as well my only gripe is how many damm magic 8balls are we gonna see . i think there is 3 or 4 different ones :/

Green Apple
    Thanks

I haven't bought or downloaded any of those applications. I have read reviews and descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by ez3t0r View Post
    why the hell did you buy those apps??

it's like complaining to the manager in the supermarket because some cookies are more delicious than other...
    I didn't buy or download any of those apps. I read the descriptions and reviews and came to the conclusion that they are utterly useless crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Sorry to break this to you, but none of the apps you want will ever be in the AppStore.
    I know. That's why I'm complaining. I have a strong feeling that those (with the exception of Copy/Paste) will be "incentive features" for us to buy the next iPhone...
    Last edited by kargod; 08-03-2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Why do so many people complain? It's not like Apple makes all those worthless apps, all they do is approve them to be in the app store. Sure the iPhone is missing a lot of common features but it has set a new standard for a cellphone. Compare it to some phone you had five years ago. Anyways the games are way better on there than the jailbroken ones and does it really cost you that much to donate to some good apps like the VNC one and other ones you might find useful? I think I've written more than enough. So I'll shutup now.

EDIT: Don't get mad and flame me because you know I'm right.

Thanks

Apple will continue to do so because at this moment are is a huge lack of business applications for the corporate and business user. I can predict that the games has brought in more revenue, much more revenue that the Business categories. And Apple knows that.

Take this for example, teenagers and kids will buy those apps (games) as they become available. It may seem as if Apple is making the wrong decisions towards the horrible games, however if revenue keeps coming in, Apple will continue to let in the pointless applications. As I see it, teenagers are more bound if to purchase games and useless applications that appeals to be cool and interesting. After all, they have the money for the actual iPhone, a few more bucks would not hurt.

Kargod, if you prefer better applications for the business field, or professional orientated applications, you should look into using the Blackberry. I left the iPhone initially because of so, however since the announcement on Exchange on the iPhone I gave the iPhone one more chance. Though professional applcations can not compare the the Blackberry, exchange HTML emails on the iPhone is amazing.
    Last edited by weezyhuy; 08-04-2008 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kargod View Post
    I know. That's why I'm complaining. I have a strong feeling that those (with the exception of Copy/Paste) will be "incentive features" for us to buy the next iPhone...
    Not really. For the exception of video recording (which I doubt the 1st-gen/3G camera can do well), Copy/Paste and MMS are both software changes, so even if a new iPhone comes out, as long as they keep Firmware the same throughout the models (just like 2G/3G have the same software), then there's no reason we'll eventually get them.

Problem is, those apps need to be provided by Apple themselves.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

what im annoyed with appstore is that I dont really know which apps are the latest to come out. I'm just looking forward to Installer and new apps on Cydia in all fairness.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    what im annoyed with appstore is that I dont really know which apps are the latest to come out. I'm just looking forward to Installer and new apps on Cydia in all fairness.
    You can sort by release date. Also, Apple has a twitter feed with the latest apps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    There is an RSS feed that shows all new apps when they are posted to the app store.

Recently Added iPhone Applications - Pinch Media

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blue2noise For This Useful Post:

DiPSET08 (08-04-2008), kargod (08-04-2008), Numberzz (08-06-2008)

Thanks

^Thanks for that link blue. Bookmarked & thanked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Has anyone considered the fact that the Appstore has only been open for about a month? Nevermind the fact that the official SDK has only been around since March. It takes time to make good software.

I'm not ignoring the fact that there are some crappy programs, but as it was said, Apple doesn't control the programs submitted, they just make sure they work, and aren't harmful to the device. That being said... are there not an equal number of crappy JB apps? Of course there are. The only difference, is now you have to put a price on these programs. But really, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

There are also a number of very excellent programs already available, with plenty more on the way. Oh, did I also mention that plenty of originally JB only apps are arriving in the appstore?

Example: ProRemote 1.0

Now, before anyone goes "ZOMG! $150!!! RIPOFFZ!!!11,"" realize that good professional music software is expensive, and $150 is actually rather on the low end. I intend to purchase it as soon as it hits the store.

Beatmaker is also a very solid MPC style sampling/sequencing software. I believe Teleport was also mentioned and is, hands down, the best virtual desktop software currently available. There are also plenty of GPS programs popping up, and some of the newer ones are looking way better than any JB app.

Either way, all I'm saying is give the Appstore a good long hard look before dismissing it. And if you still don't like it, come back around Christmas and tell me there aren't any good apps available.

Thanks

When it comes down to it: Apple is a business. And a businesses first priority is making money. They get $99 + $0.30 just for selling one of those horrible apps. That's why they get through.