Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Limit

Default App Limit
    I dont know where this thread should be but am i the only one that has his 9 pages of app limit?

Any fixes ?

i remember in 1.1.1 we had unlimited i had up 12 pages of apps

Just curious what happens when you try to install a new app!? Does iTunes send back an error? On the iPhone does it say sorry you can't install any more apps!?

it doesnt do anythign really the app store goes back to the home screen, as if it crashed but at the same time i think it puts it on que. Once i delete an app, that app shows up starts to download and install. that only work for one app the rest of the time it acts like nothing happened and takes u to home screen

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dan0609's Avatar
    Thanks

A lil off topic. but 9 pages!!! holy bajesus. Ive got 3 & at that most are pointless apps. You sir need a laptop! lol jkjk

I had 12 full pages back on 1.1.4. Have you tried using bosstool to move the fonts and ringtones? You might just be out of space
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you out

are you sure you had 12 pages? im not out of space, all those files are moved, all my apps are set on the other bigger partition, im not low on space just they had the 9 pages limit ever since they released this "wiggle" affect.

Oh yes I'm sure =) I remember there was an 88 app limit or something like that before, but they fixed that somehow. For some reason, I think it was a summerboard update.

yeah they had that limit before but now im just limited to the pages :-/ thats like what uhh 9x16 + 4 = 148 apps. i mean i can use Appflow to access more apps if i were to ssh the rest of apps i wanted

Yeah, I'm really not sure. I could swear that I had more pages at one point though.

yeah like i said i had more in 1.1.1 and possibly 1.1.2 that was all before the "wiggle" and if u had 1.1.3 wiht the touch with out hte wiggle i had 12 as well. (wasn't the limit but there wasnt enough apps)

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Same problem for me... 9 pages. Additional apps simply don't install. I wonder if it is the number of apps or pages? I will try to hide some with poof and see.

Can we get a fix? Developers??? I'd pay for this!
    Last edited by techgirl; 08-15-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Add

Techgirl at your service... Modding MyPhone since Day 1!

AIM: lindseycholmes
    Facebook: lindseycholmes

The 9 page limit is seemingly a limitation of the matrix setup Apple uses in the Springboard plist. When you go over the 9 page limit, the new app is not registered in this matrix& doesn't show up. If you delete some othe apps you'll see those 'missing' apps 'move into view'. I just found syncing with iTunes just took too long with so many apps to backup.

Yes - Steve Jobs said in one of the firmware speeches that we would be able to have up to 9 homescreens of apps. That includes webclips, jailbroken apps, stock apps, and AppStore apps. This limit was removed with one of the early SummerBoard apps, but it was back with firmware version 1.1.3 or 1.1.4. There was also a limit of 80 apps in the /Applications folder (for jailbroken apps) that was removed with the last SummerBoard version on firmware 1.1.4, but I am not sure if that limit also applies to AppStore apps. I am all for more SpringBoard pages, but it would be great if Apple would provide or would allow a third-party to provide folder structures or some sort of stacks feature (as somebody has done for jailbroken iPhones) so that the applications can be categorized for those who wish to do so. Another app which is needed is one that relists all apps on the SpringBoards (AppStore and jailbroken, if possible) in alphabetical or another order so that we won't have to resort all of the apps after a restore. These types of things should be commonsensical. I'm not sure why Apple continues to lack creativity in these areas (as it has done by not creating and not permitting others to create a better SMS app, camera app, MMS app, video recording app, etc.). There isn't even a way to group people (personal, business, etc) on the phone! I just don't get why certain decisions were made to omit such basic features. I love the phone, but I wish that some reporter would ask Apple all of these questions to get an answer. It's unbelievable!

Yep, the 9 page limit is an official Apple policy. I guess those 16 gigs are meant for music and videos basically.

Quote Originally Posted by vandy1997 View Post
    ...There isn't even a way to group people (personal, business, etc) on the phone! ...
    Hmmm... on the phone yes there is no grouping of contacts... not sure how it's done on a MAC but on a PC you sync your contacts with outlook... and within outlook you can create contact groups...

9pages of apps... hehe im up to 5 and i don't even use a third of them
    Last edited by 808mp5; 08-16-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    "Search" is your friend

iPhone? More like MyPhone techgirl's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 808mp5 View Post
    Hmmm... on the phone yes there is no grouping of contacts... not sure how it's done on a MAC but on a PC you sync your contacts with outlook... and within outlook you can create contact groups...

9pages of apps... hehe im up to 5 and i don't even use a third of them
    You can group contacts in Mac's addressbook too, just one of the stooopid, simple factors left out of this fab phone

Techgirl at your service... Modding MyPhone since Day 1!

AIM: lindseycholmes
    Facebook: lindseycholmes

lmfao techgirl!!! Trees!!??!
    Trees like greens??? Godsgreen?? LOL

First of all there is and was no 80 app limit for Springboard. That was only a bug introduced to the iPhone, iPod touch by the addition of FreeBoard into the SummerBoard app. If you didn't install FreeBoard you never had to worry about this bug. I myself had 176 apps on my 32Gig iPod touch running on firmware 1.1.4. Second, if you install more apps than SpringBoard can hold (9 pages), the apps will be on the device, only you wont be able to see it untill you delete another app and respring Springboard. To bypass this install "Boss Prefs" for the Poof function (hides apps from being seen on the Springboard) and AppFlow (allows you to browse all apps, even the hidden ones on your device and launch them) from Cydia. ****But Beware of Having too many Apps****Now that I'm on 2.0.1, I've noticed a change in the behavior of my device. Unlike on 1.1.4, 2.0.1 doesn't handle a large number of apps on the device as well. The more apps you have the more sluggish you will make our device, resprings will take much longer and overall performance is lowered. You will also see your device have redundant resprings for no reason. For this reason I believe Steve Jobs is not concerned with allowing for more Apps on the Springboard. Apple is known for a clean sleek approach with their products and it works! Unlike with PC and PC applications you have less problems with Apple products, they just do what they are supposed to do. I say this to include that apps like SMS, Camera, and other native apps are less prone to have problems because of it's simplicity, which saves Apple from having lots of pissed off customers calling in for tech support or coming into the Apple stores. For more advanced or modified apps you'll just have to get it from Cydia or Installer at your own risk.

I hope this is helpfull, if not, pull my finger. LOL
    Thanks guys.

Anyone knows the specific # of apps that can be installed b4 the fone wont be able to boot? Cuz mine cant after installin the 390 app pak ! (im on 2.02 )

Edit: seems like we only get 2 gigs for apps i guess the number doesnt matter now.. its the space!
    source
    Last edited by spyboy_1; 09-06-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks
    use categories available through cydia it will help you and feel free to hit the thanks button