Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do you set up the iremote?

Default How do you set up the iremote?
    Looked around for a guide to set up the iremote but cant find anything on it. How do you set it up?

Quote Originally Posted by saintsc93 View Post
    Looked around for a guide to set up the iremote but cant find anything on it. How do you set it up?
    Biggest thing is to have the iPhone WiFi connection and your computer's WiFi connection on the same IP subnet. Or, IOW, connected to the same WiFi router.

Then, you just open iRemote and iTunes at the same time. Mostly automatic and self explanatory.

For Apple documentation:

About Remote for iPhone and iPod touch

HTH.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hartphoto For This Useful Post:

saintsc93 (07-28-2008), skb875 (07-28-2008)

Hmm, it says to select my phone in the "device list" in iTunes.. I don't even see my device list..
    wwjd

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skb875 For This Useful Post:

saintsc93 (07-28-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by skb875 View Post
    Hmm, it says to select my phone in the "device list" in iTunes.. I don't even see my device list..
    Here's how it works for me (can get back to this list of steps at any time, just by deleting the Playlist on the iPhone, and then quitting/re-opening iRemote.

Mac with iTunes library attached to WiFi network 10.0.1.x (this is the same iTunes and Mac that I use to sync my iPhone via USB cable). iPhone connected to same WiFi network (happens to be an Airport Express). iPhone is NOT connected via USB during this process.

Open iTunes. Open iRemote. On the iPhone, press Add Library (it immediately give me a 4 digit code to enter in iTunes).

In iTunes, a Devices category has shown up on the left most column, listing my iPhone's device name, with the little iRemote icon next to it. I then click on the device, and iTunes prompts me to enter this code. After entering the code, my playlists show up in the iRemote screen on the iPhone. iTunes gives me an OK button to click, that I can now control iTunes via iRemote.

And that's literally all I do for it to work.
    Last edited by hartphoto; 07-28-2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: clarification

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hartphoto For This Useful Post:

saintsc93 (07-28-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Numberzz's Avatar
    Thanks

This time with pictures!
    1. Open Remote

2. Select "Choose a library..."

3. Select "Add a library..."

4. You will get a passcode

5. Select your iPhone from the Devices menu

6. Enter your passcode, and then it will say this:

7. You now win.
    Last edited by Numberzz; 07-28-2008 at 02:08 PM.
    "Now everyone calm the hell down and let me think about how to clean up your mess, while you build me a monument dedicated to how awesome I am."

MacBook Pro + iPhone 3GS

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numberzz For This Useful Post:

saintsc93 (07-28-2008), Zorro4321 (01-09-2009)

Default One More Thing to Try
    A lot of threads like this make activating iRemote sound like a no-brainer, but I found it somewhat difficult. I finally got it to working, and one or more of these suggestions (in addition to all the above) may have made the difference.

I had a hard time seeing where I was supposed to enter the 4 digits. The picture above helps. It is in that list to the left. It has a different icon than when the iPhone is just connected via USB.

Second, although I had "sharing" turned on under iTunes Preferences, I also had "Share selected playlists" selected, and then I had no playlists selected. I don't know if this made a difference, but things started showing up when I made the correction.

Last, I have a rather large library (1422 items and counting). It just seems to take some time for the iRemote to read the library.

But in the end, it now works, and I'm beginning to see why people like it.

My Windows xp PC is connected (wired) to my wireless router. I can see the iPhone 3GS when connected via USB but not when on the wifi only. IP Network is good. Computer is .100 and iPhone is .101

Thoughts?

My Windows xp PC is connected (wired) to my wireless router. I can see the iPhone 3GS when connected via USB but not when on the wifi only. IP Network is good. Computer is .100 and iPhone is .101

Thoughts?
    Last edited by chaskinsnc; 07-06-2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost