Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [app update] idea for getting around apples rules

Default [app update] idea for getting around apples rules
    would it be possible to say release for example a good Instant Messenger app via the app store. And for us jailbroken users maybe make a seperate modified file that we could download and replace via installer, cydia, rapidshare or whatnot that would modify the app so it allows it to do certain things outside the rules such as run in the background? This way you have it for legit users and have a little something extra for jailbroken users... Not sure if it's possible using the sdk, but just a thought

i would imagine that once apple got wind of it, they would remove it from the apple store?

woundnt just be labeled more so as a hacked app? I mean they haven't pulled super monkey ball and it's been found to work by modifying the files and permissions

The Monkey Ball crack running around the internet is no different than any other no-cd crack for PC games. The way its edited, you can't replicate on other paid apps, which is why it's one of the few cracked apps out there.

As far as IM is involved, I think it's going to pay off to just wait till September for the Apps Push Service. With it, we'll be able to run tons of apps and receive notifications instantly without needing to run multiple background processes, saving battery life.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

is it confirmed that apple is going to approve push service for appstore apps? I heard that it in discussions, but not set in stone

A whole section of their last presentation was about their upcoming push service. Apps will be able to:
    1- push a number bubble for the app icon (like we see now on e-mail, sms, and calls)
    2- push a sound notification (same as above)
    3- push a text notification (like SMS)

It'll be free for developers and comes out (hopefully) in September. It really is the best solution they could come up for. Instead of 10 apps running in the background, you have just the Apple push service running, which notifies you if any of those apps have anything for you.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/i...evs-announced/

http://highscalability.com/apples-ip...n-architecture

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

nice.. thanks for the info. I guess apple is doing something right for us... I was expecting them to wait till the next generation iphone to do something like this.

I would be so quick to use what has happened with Monkey Ball as a fair example of measures apple would take against modified apps, i mean Monkey Ball is pretty much the poster boy of the app store. All anyone heard in the first couple days after announcement was that Supper Monkey Ball was coming to the iphone. So to take that app off would be a pretty big deal, a mesager app wouldnt be that big.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Crash Bandicoot just got cracked too

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    Crash Bandicoot just got cracked too
    So did Chopper and Vay... wow! The AppStore has been pwned! But it was bound to happen... just look at all the apps for WM phones... there are cracks everywhere for those apps too.