+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Palringo Instant Messenger

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Originally Posted by peteo Apple releases their "push" messaging service. Allows developers to send msgs/commands to apple which in turn will send to your iphone. This will be built into
    Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peteo View Post
    Apple releases their "push" messaging service. Allows developers to send msgs/commands to apple which in turn will send to your iphone. This will be built into the iPhone OS and will always be running and connected to apple.
    So for IM clients, a company would have to setup a back-end server that would send an alert to apple when you get an IM and your IM app is shut down. Then apple will send this to your iPhone. On your iPhone you will see a message that you have a new IM (or something similar) and then if you want you can open the app to read it. This will be for any app (myspace, facebook etc) that uses apples "push" API
    Yeah what a fail idea. Apple's server traffic is going to increase exponentially... Also, if the concern is battery life, shouldn't it be up to be end user to allow background processes?

Anyway, it's just another excuse for Apple to get their way, heh.
    i r brando

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xwinger View Post
    how do i sign in? i created an account, now i entered the email and password and pressed done. now its just sitting with my info entered and not doing anything
    Solution. You have to put your information into the palringo section of the settings app. Like the actual iPhone settings app, not in the palringo program. Not really very intuitive.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to onesilentlight For This Useful Post:

xwinger (07-28-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Thanks

Im not impressed at all really. No option to keep you logged in when you hit home, no buddy icons etc...

Mobile chat will own this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onesilentlight View Post
    Solution. You have to put your information into the palringo section of the settings app. Like the actual iPhone settings app, not in the palringo program. Not really very intuitive.
    OK thanks
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

In WLM (dont know about other services) when i start convos or reload convos..or after sending a pic..sometimes i cant send a message..

the text entry line and send button disappear when the keyboard comes up.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bouzo's Avatar
    Thanks

'FRING' was the best app IMO for messaging service. Loved it on my 1st gen iPhone, runs in the background too. Their website says they are working on a 2.xx version. I'll be waiting for that one. Keep in mind, with Palringo, your passords/info has to go through their server, which brings up a huge security issue.

I won't be trying it

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Add my Palringo username guys: gQstatus05

Need some iPhone friends. I've been using the App on my AT&T tilt. I love it. The one program at a time rule is BS. I think it should be up to us to have battery life issues. I called Apple today and all they said was to go to Apple.com and go to the forums sections and request that feature. We should all do it, hopefully next update it'll be included.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gQstatus05 View Post
    Add my Palringo username guys: gQstatus05

Need some iPhone friends. I've been using the App on my AT&T tilt. I love it. The one program at a time rule is BS. I think it should be up to us to have battery life issues. I called Apple today and all they said was to go to Apple.com and go to the forums sections and request that feature. We should all do it, hopefully next update it'll be included.
    Apple already is coming with a better solution than background processes. Wait a little bit more for push functionality and apps will be able to run indefinitely without killing your battery.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    yeah thats the downside and upside of the app store.. no app is allowed to run in the background.. so it wont slow performance or drain the battery. But it makes IM apps pretty limited
    That's what i'm saying

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    September people, just wait till September.
    what's gonna appen in september? an upgrade?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This program isn't bad at all. I like it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

In Sept. The 2.1 firmware is supposed to add push for IM programs such as AIM, Yahoo so forth. So app technically wouldn't be running in the background. But the message sent to an Apple Server and than Instantly "Pushed" to your phone like MobileMe.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12