+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MMS App?

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Is there a MMS app for 2.0?
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default MMS App?
    Is there a MMS app for 2.0?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

No, one of the privileges of having the most technologically advanced cell phone ever produced....is no MMS...What the h$&* Apple?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Seriously, could someone try to fix a mms app for cydia 2.0 LOL.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The reason is this, the best interest for both Apple and AT&T, is to release "features" bit by bit. Because the iPhone is functional and scalable, and provides so many different type of users with so many options, by not including MMS in the plan, they not only create a "I want" mentality and it produces A LOT of buzz for them, this is just good PR and Marketing, this tactic maximizes profits without blowing it all in one fiscal quarter. In return, when they do release the MMS option, they will have a whole "huge" demographic that will come buy the phone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mctwisty View Post
    The reason is this, the best interest for both Apple and AT&T, is to release "features" bit by bit. Because the iPhone is functional and scalable, and provides so many different type of users with so many options, by not including MMS in the plan, they not only create a "I want" mentality and it produces A LOT of buzz for them, this is just good PR and Marketing, this tactic maximizes profits without blowing it all in one fiscal quarter. In return, when they do release the MMS option, they will have a whole "huge" demographic that will come buy the phone.
    QFT. Apple could release the iphone now with MMS and video recording etc etc, it is of course capable of it as we have seen. They could also easily have a 5mp camera in there too, but as mctwisty says, they are not stupid.

They do not want to make profit only once by selling you a ferrari right away, they want to make a bit of profit each time you upgrade an engine size or furry dice add-on

Great business sense, and we all lap it up! God bless the unofficial app scene for giving those in the know these apps before apple decide it's time to profit some more!

Thanks

I've been in touch with Mats at Swirly MMS and he confirmed they are working on a release for 2.0 expected in 2 to 4 weeks.

The last version relased on 1.1.4 was working excellent on my phone cant wait for the new release!!!!
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

Green Apple
    Thanks

I use swirly mms on my 1.1.4 1st gen iPhone and its great. I'm not upgrading to 2.0 till all the options tweaks and programs I have on my phone now is available for 2.0

P.s. Does anyone know a way to backup mms ie texts to tour computer and restore them after a upgrade or restore?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ericidle View Post
    I've been in touch with Mats at Swirly MMS and he confirmed they are working on a release for 2.0 expected in 2 to 4 weeks.

The last version relased on 1.1.4 was working excellent on my phone cant wait for the new release!!!!
    Downside is Im sure it still wont work for AT&T users. We are the ones most pissed!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Lack of MMS has nothing to do with them creating an I WANT mentality. Maybe lack of 5mp camera, video, ect does but Apple wants nothing to do with MMS.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How about an application that will take the MMS messages sent to you and auto load the picture if you email it to somewhere?? So you don't have to manually input the username and password?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper44 View Post
    Lack of MMS has nothing to do with them creating an I WANT mentality. Maybe lack of 5mp camera, video, ect does but Apple wants nothing to do with MMS.
    And why in the world would that be? I simply don't understand the reason.

Thanks

I just wanna double check, NO ATT users for Swirly to work? I thought it may have just been me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone whateverman24791's Avatar
    Thanks

I learned about this when I first realized that MMS would never be on the iPhone:

One of the most perplexing feature omissions from the iPhone was the lack of support for the MMS protocol. One can only assume that this was a deliberate choice by Apple, though it is hard to determine why.

Many users who are accustomed to snapping photos w/ their camera phones and sending those photos to friends and family via text/MMS messaging have been surprised to find out they can't do the same with their iPhone.

Thankfully, due to iPhone's email capabilities - there is a workaround.

In this day and age, almost all mobile phones have not only a phone number, but an email address. In fact, most mobile phones have two emails - one for plain text messages, and one for MMS.

Using iPhone's email picture function, you can still get your photos over to your friends' phones by emailing it to their phone. This does not require that the destination phone has email support. By emailing your picture to their phone and not their email, they'll receive it like a normal MMS message, provided they have MMS support on their phone.

Here's how to do it:

1) open a photo on your iPhone
    2) click on the send photo link (bottom left hand icon)
    3) select to email the photo
    4) using the table below, enter the phone number of the person you want to send to, followed by the email prefix for their provider

Service Provider MMS Email Prefix
    Verizon------------vzwpix.com
    AT&T/Cingular-----mms.att.com
    Sprint/Nextel------messaging.sprintpcs.com
    T-Mobile----------tmomail.net
    Virgin-------------vmobl.net
    Boost Mobile-------myboostmobile.com
    Alltel--------------message.alltel.com
    Amp'd Mobile------vzwpix.com

So, for instance, if you wanted to send an email to a Verizon user who's number was 8175551212, you'd send to [email protected].

Hopefully, the iPhone will be updated to include MMS support soon. For now, this works.

Originally Chad Shmukler from How can I send a multimedia message (MMS) from the Apple iPhone? | The iPhone FAQ

PS If you want to have a friend send you a picure, just have them send it to the email account that you have set up on your iPhone!
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by whateverman24791; 07-29-2008 at 07:22 AM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

fonz06 (07-29-2008), ltjbigshot (07-31-2008), mcdj (07-31-2008), wao1201 (07-31-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    yeah this is how i been doing it

the problem is peeps are so used to sending to a phone number that they forget about ur email and send it the reg way. then u got to go to a web site to view the **** or text the person back. they may or may not feel like dealing with the extra steps. haa

not having mms sucks along with no copy and paste. haaa

great post though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    No, one of the privileges of having the most technologically advanced cell phone ever produced....is no MMS...What the h$&* Apple?
    Apple looks toward the future, not the past. They were the first company to drop floppy drives from their computers, and most other followed suit. same goes here. Email is the way to go, not MMS.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

iPhone? More like MyPhone bbplayer5's Avatar
    Thanks

how about Rogers in canada? whats their server?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bbplayer5 View Post
    how about Rogers in canada? whats their server?
    <phonenumber>@pcs.rogers.com

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Eurisko For This Useful Post:

wao1201 (07-31-2008)

Thanks

Apple looks toward the future, not the past. They were the first company to drop floppy drives from their computers, and most other followed suit. same goes here. Email is the way to go, not MMS.
    and with the app store, there are now IM apps that maybe will replace SMS and may or may not be able to send pics or at least links to pics... they first have to give PUSH access to these apps and we will be free from MMS and SMS charges... that would in my book justify the $10 increase they added to the iPhones internet plan.
    Last edited by reznor9; 07-30-2008 at 09:02 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Now all I have to do is memorize which friend is on which network and their corresponding address.

SWEET.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by defmute View Post
    Now all I have to do is memorize which friend is on which network and their corresponding address.
    Well, if MMS is of the utmost importance to you, just add the their phones email address to your contacts.