Closed Thread

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Beware! Aurora Feint Secretly Collects personal infomation

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Aurora Feint collects phone numbers and emails from the contacts your stored on your iPhone. It creates a file named iMmoAccountData under the its application folder that contains all these
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Beware! Aurora Feint Secretly Collects personal infomation
    Aurora Feint collects phone numbers and emails from the contacts your stored on your iPhone. It creates a file named iMmoAccountData under the its application folder that contains all these info. Check your iPhone if you have OpenSSH installed on your iPHone.
    I already confirmed this on my iPod Touch.

Full report and fix

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hmm. After putting money in theappstore and installing this game for free, i feel dissapointed with apple in allowing this to happen so easily

Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

well... that sucks.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I thought it'd take another week or two before we'd start seeing iPhone spyware.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If it's true and you checked, report it to Apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You guys, it collects this information because the game supports friends over wifi or cellular I am not sure which one but it will tell you if your friends are playing or not. It's not spyware or anything of the sort.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcgee_jr For This Useful Post:

skb875 (07-21-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcgee_jr View Post
    You guys, it collects this information because the game supports friends over wifi or cellular I am not sure which one but it will tell you if your friends are playing or not. It's not spyware or anything of the sort.
    Yup, people just love jumping into the wrong conclusions. If you had bothered to play the game for more than 5 minutes, you'd learn about the party feature in which you can share your character to your friends. This feature uses your contact list, which all apps can access.

Oh hey, looks like the people behind the game already replied. Can we close this thread now?

Can you please correct this article? I’ve written a detailed outline of what we’re doing with people’s contact list data on our web site. The short answer is we only store what you type in to our application on the web server. We never spam, rent, sell, or do anything funky with your personal data.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask me personally.

By the way, preventing the application from writing to the account data file will break your save games.

- Jason Citron

P.S. We are posting the privacy notice now. It should be live by noon PST.
    Last edited by Happy Noodle Boy; 07-21-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

reply:
    admin Says:
    July 21st, 2008 at 4:04 pm edit

Well, the problem is that users are not told by Aurora Feint that they are actually using the information stored in the Contacts application, and the personal information collected by the app is definitely not submitted through your website.
    So I would like to see you guys inform the users that you are actually using the contacts information from the iPhone, and let users to choose if they want Aurora Feint to use it for Community Features.
    Thanks
    -Stephen

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shishi727 View Post
    reply:
    admin Says:
    July 21st, 2008 at 4:04 pm edit

Well, the problem is that users are not told by Aurora Feint that they are actually using the information stored in the Contacts application, and the personal information collected by the app is definitely not submitted through your website.
    So I would like to see you guys inform the users that you are actually using the contacts information from the iPhone, and let users to choose if they want Aurora Feint to use it for Community Features.
    Thanks
    -Stephen
    It's people like you that change users to stop creating such fun and free applications. Instead of coming back and saying oh ok thanks for letting me know and for posting this on your website you come back with this lame *** statement. go troll elsewhere if you can't be grateful for this amazing wonder app.

Thanks

Thread Closed