Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Setup Mocha VNC Lite with DynDns.org for remote access??

Default Setup Mocha VNC Lite with DynDns.org for remote access??
    I am trying to remotely connect to my Macintosh while outside of my home network via my iPhone, using the newly released Mocha VNC Lite app released on the App Store last week...I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong and why I cannot get the connection to work properly, and I was hoping someone could give me a hand in figuring out what the problem might be...

I am trying to connect to my Leopard 10.5.4 desktop computer, on which I've enabled Remote Management in the Sharing System Preference Pane (not "Screen Sharing" for more technical reasons), and in the 'Computer Settings' options for Remote Management, I've entered in my chosen VNC password. +**Though I am not sure whether or not "Allow Access For All Users" has to be checked instead of what I currently have, which is "Only These Users..."+

I also have a paid account with dyndns.org with whom I've signed up for a Dynamic Domain Name Service.

I have also tried configuring my airport extreme to forward the necessary ports to my local desktop machine a couple different ways - I've tried using a random port between 30,000-50,000; and I've tried using the suggested port 5900, which is the default suggested by Mocha VNC Lite....I forwarded the ports mentioned to a static LAN IP address I've setup for computer...

...and for testing purposes, I have Leopard's firewall configured to "Allow All Incoming Connections"

Using VNC Lite, I entered in my Dynamic Domain Name into the 'VNC Server IP Address field (having tried a variety of alternate ways of doing so, such as - domainname.kicks-***.net -- http://domainname.kicks-***.net -- https://domainname.kicks-***.net -- vnc://domainname.kicks-***.net - vnc://domainname.kicks-***.net:LAN-IP - etc.) ...and yes, name.kicks-***.net is really one of the domain names they offer

In the VNC Server Port field I've entered in the port that I chose to forward in my airport extreme settings.

Finally I have "Mac OS Server" turned on, "Save Password" turned on, and "32-bit color mode" turned on...

Nothing I've been able to come up with has worked!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

I am using my iphone with mocha and dyndns

One issue i had was i had to make sure all traffic on 5900 (vnc port) was being directed to my specific IP within the networe

ex

make sure

port 5900 is being forwarded to 192.168.1.xxx (the ip of the computer you want to connect to within the network).

let me know

Thanks

Do you also have the Update DynDNS daemon running on your Mac? It needs to update the website with your current and ever changing IP so it can be routed properly to your home computer.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Do you also have the Update DynDNS daemon running on your Mac? It needs to update the website with your current and ever changing IP so it can be routed properly to your home computer.
    Dynamic IPs change very little these days. With a cable modem you will keep your dynamic IP unless you unplug the power for an extended period of time (Time Warner and Comcast have 24 hour leases so you would have to be unplugged for more then 24 hours). There are a couple exceptions to this rule (certain people at the ISP can remotely force a new IP, etc) but it's generally true. While the update daemon is nice as you don't have to worry about manually updating so you don't get the email from DynDns saying your domain is about to expire, it's not really needed these days in most cases.

I am running the daemon and it is updated...

Can you please let me know precisely what settings you entered into VNC Lite's various connection fields?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FoneWeasel View Post
    Dynamic IPs change very little these days. With a cable modem you will keep your dynamic IP unless you unplug the power for an extended period of time (Time Warner and Comcast have 24 hour leases so you would have to be unplugged for more then 24 hours). There are a couple exceptions to this rule (certain people at the ISP can remotely force a new IP, etc) but it's generally true. While the update daemon is nice as you don't have to worry about manually updating so you don't get the email from DynDns saying your domain is about to expire, it's not really needed these days in most cases.
    This is actually dependent on the service provider, and quite necessary for mine, which expires DHCP licenses every 90 hours.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    This is actually dependent on the service provider, and quite necessary for mine, which expires DHCP licenses every 90 hours.
    Both Motorola and Cisco UBRs (adhering to the DOCSIS 1.1 and 2.0 standard) will renew the IP address' lease as long as the cable modem is still online when the lease expires. If your IP address is changing every 90 hours when your lease expires, their your ISP is running a non-standard setup or something is configured wrong.

ok for one you need to run your ddns through your router or modem. obvious. open ports. use Open Port Check Tool . your ip changes frequently as on 4-5 times a day atleast for me and everyone i know but if your *external ip*(DDNS) is locked into the router or modem it will update automatically without the gay daemon.