+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Typepad not really free and they offered me bribes - Do you agree?

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
TypePad, A so called free Application down-loadable from the AppStore is a Bloging Application and is offered free. Yes free to download but not free like other free Applications to
    iPhone? More like MyPhone chriscoyne's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Typepad not really free and they offered me bribes - Do you agree?
    TypePad, A so called free Application down-loadable from the AppStore is a Bloging Application and is offered free. Yes free to download but not free like other free Applications to use.

If you download this application you will see when you go to use it that you have to PAY. Perhaps a 14 day trial but afterward you need to PAY.

Does this sound FREE to you? Other free application are indeed FREE and you don't need to PAY.

It all started when I quit the App midway and they sent me an email asking WHY? Question: "Is it something we said" So I replied.

It was to. TypePad Support
    Six Apart, Ltd

I replied.

Yes its was. I downloaded your App on Apples Application page and found out rather that just making money selling your App like everyone else, you trick us by then having high rates to Blog. This diversion will not bode well for you on reviews and Blogs and Forums. Why not sell the App?

Disappointed with your marketing trick. WordPress releasing their App soon. For Free. You could have made money with selling Ads. Revenue model.

Think Again.

They replied:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the note. We'd be happy to offer you a 20% lifetime discount! You can enter IPHONE in the referral field when registering for your 14 day free trial. We think you'll agree that TypePad is well worth the monthly fee. Wordpress.com doesn't compare in any way to our services.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance.

This looks like a bribe to me.

I said

Melanie, I still find your reply disingenuous. I appreciate your offer though. You fail to answer why you did not offer the application for a price rather than getting people to download it only to find out it was a trick to get people to buy your plans. This revenue plan is a mistake and you will undoubtedly fail to meet your revenue plans with this outlook.

Why not just sell the Application to your lowest plan... if its, so good? Then let users upgrade when they understand it and like and then they could compare it with others like Blogger from Google and WordPress. On WordPress. I fail to see how you can say that it does not compare when has not even been released yet.

There has also been talk that applications may be downloaded for a trial period before people buy it. You may want to resubmit your Application to Apple with my views in mind.

If you would like to fully answer my views I will post them to Forums and Blogs and may review your application on a Podcast.

A new Guy Zalery said:

Thanks for following up. it sounds like the confusion here is that the App for posting is indeed FREE, but that you must have a TypePad account (either as a Paid subscriber or a Free Guest author on another paid account) for the free app to be os use to you.

We apologize for the confusion and will work on making this more clear in the application download.

I said:

You fail again to answer the question and statements. What Melanie could not answer. I have already made a complaint to Apple that your Application does not conform to Apple rules regarding free Applications and is indeed deceitful. I have asked that your Application be removed for non-compliance. Yes it is free to download but requires a short free trial and then charges afterward. It is not Free by Apples own rules.

Waiting for the next reply. I did indeed made a complaint to Apple to remove TypePad for non-compliance to being a FREE application by Apples own rules. I did say that id the company re-submited their Application as a Pay Application that would be fair.

What do think... Am I wrong? To me Free Application should be free to use.

Moderators...This is not Flaming User should be aware of Non-Free Applications. Or trick applications to get you to pay. However good the App is.

Chris

Update - They Said" We appreciate your passing along your opinions to us. However, as Zalary mentioned, the application itself is Free. This is in no way a ruse to hook people into paying for TypePad service. When you download the application, you are in no way obligated to purchase an account, and the application can be removed from your iPhone at any time. Furthermore, our prices are clearly stated on the TypePad website in an area that is accessible to anyone who happens to go to TypePad.com. TypePad has never offered a free service, because the services that we offer currently are more than worth the price of the subscription. We may consider offering a free, ad-based service in the future. If you would like to try the free trial and use the 20% lifetime discount code for iPhone users, then we would be happy to have you as a subscriber. However, you are under no obligation to do so, as we have mentioned.

The automated area of the email, "you recently requested help", is a polite greeing and simply indicates that you requested a reply from us, nothing more.

I said.

I still believe, what you are doing is wrong, ingenious, deceitful and contemptuous and your replies prove your contempt. Apple and the News Sites, blogs and forums will hear of your blatant fraud. How would it be if all Free Applications (Your the exception to being really fee) charge for their use after they downloaded them? You defraud Apple from their distribution Fees of 30% to handle you misconceived free application. You have a different meaning of FREE. You spilt hairs on the meaning. Yes again, your programme is free to download. But NOT FREE to use after 14day trial period. Can you name one other Free Application in the List of Current iPhone Applications? Perhaps Personal Assistance App may be another, but I have not download that one yet. If they to, are deceitful I will report them as well. This is not a personal campaign. What you are doing is just plain wrong. Someone needs to check this before others try it.

Again. Yes it sweet your greeting. As as this form letter suggest that I requested your assistants is also blatantly wrong. You contacted me first. And stop your bribery with discounts to palm me off. I would not take your application even if offered FREE. What an oxymoron in your companies case.

They Said - Nothing. Gues now they are fed-up with me.

I said in a new email - A new offer of compromise.

Melanie an others involved with my complaint.

I see now that you are fed-up with me. In this email I would like to be more helpful by a few suggestions.

Let me update you on events. Besides my FeedBack Complaint filed with Apple, I have now also made a second complaint now be expedited through an Apple Representative and to an investigation. Apple by the way have agreed with my argument. With that said, and my feeling that your Free Application has been misrepresented by you, I would like to make a few more points for clarification.

- Indeed anyone going to your web site can see your pricing
    - Although in the AppStore accessed from the iPhone and in iTunes does not indicate that this is a pay service once a free trial period is over. If fact ,as you have explained, prospective users, are - not notified prior to download that this is just a Free Application Download and in fact in time you need to subscribe to your various plans.
    - I am not the only one. In Fact look at your reviews in the AppStore. Some say, excellent (witch I am sure your blogging creation service software is) But many others saying ...Not Free...Not - - Free and more Not Free. So,
    - My I suggest a compromise. Re-submit your iPhne Application at a Price. One that fair to Apple's Distribution Handling and fair to users and alleviates this Free Notion.
    - Consider a price like 49.99 for the first year of Blog Service and the Price of the Application.
    - Allow users a demo period before the full price is billed to them by Apple.
    - If they stay, then bill them. In the Application offer discounts and upgrade methods separate from Apple to say your Pro Version.
    - Your credibility would be restored. I would be one of the first to sing your prasies.
    - There you have it. Pricing would vary depending on you. But, a program like this is fair.

Yours sincerly,

Chris Coyne

Colleen said July 17th

Thank you for following up. The application is also available to existing TypePad subscribers, who have already paid for an account. We do not charge for our other mobile blogging apps so it doesn't seem fair to charge for the iPhone app, either. The prices for TypePad are clearly marked and the registration page requires a credit card. The app is free, not the blog service which includes hosting and customer support.

I can pass your feedback along to our development team, however. Thank you for taking the time to share that.

I could not believe she did not even review my emails before answering.

I said.

Colleen, I can't believe you did not read the history of my emails and give back yet another disingenuous answer to top everything off. You clearly are not qualified to answer. It was not feedback but a solution as compromise. Clearly, You will want Apple to delete your application for deceptive practices. I was hope a more sensible view would prevail. Can you get a manager or executive to make intelligent answer.

Disappointed yet again.

I will be done with this soon. Hope I win.
    Last edited by chriscoyne; 07-17-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Update
    If you find my Postings useful or interesting. Press the .... Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I don't see anything that they did wrong. By offering their app for free they get more people to download it, and hopefully pay for it after the trial. I wish every non-free app offered a trial like this. As far as them bribing you, that isn't a bribe, that is a tactic used by almost every company that deals with the public to get/keep customers, because even a slimmer profit is better than no profit.

Edit: By charging you for an account to use the app, and not for a full version of the app itself, they are within the guidelines set by Apple. You may notice that "A Personal Assistant" does something very similar.
    Last edited by Rosbaughcr; 07-15-2008 at 08:58 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rosbaughcr For This Useful Post:

ninjoshua (07-16-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Uhm, yeah, 'Guy Zalery' appears to be correct and you sound confused. The APP is FREE to download. You pay for an account, not the app. There are many apps like this, such as the VOIP app that is free to download, but you have to pay for minutes (after some free calls or minutes)...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to y00y For This Useful Post:

ninjoshua (07-16-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosbaughcr View Post
    I don't see anything that they did wrong. By offering their app for free they get more people to download it, and hopefully pay for it after the trial. I wish every non-free app offered a trial like this. As far as them bribing you, that isn't a bribe, that is a tactic used by almost every company that deals with the public to get/keep customers, because even a slimmer profit is better than no profit.

Edit: By charging you for an account to use the app, and not for a full version of the app itself, they are within the guidelines set by Apple. You may notice that "A Personal Assistant" does something very similar.
    Thanks for your comment, I sort of agree with you. I just find it a bit disturbing. Yes the download of the App is free, But to charge fees afterward to use, is a tricky tactic. How would you like to download a Free Game and then have to pay to use it?

Also, Apple have agreed to host the application at a price determined by the developer. This somehow cuts out Apple's ability to collect 30% distribution and management fees. In this case all Apps could be free cutting Apple out of the loop. In this scenario, Apple would make nothing for their work.

Thanks
    It's seems like a perfectly legitimate business practice. A lot of apps are free because they encourage you to use a service that allows the company to make money.

Take the eBay app for example. It's free, but you of course still have to pay fees to sell something on eBay.

Bank of America offers a free app to manage your BoA accounts. You of course have to have a Bank of America account to make this app useful.

I usually research the company and their software in a web browser before downloading apps.

And as far as the 'bribe' I would agree with Rosbaughcr; a lot of companies offer discounts when they know a (potential) customer is not satisfied. Some companies have whole departments devoted to this called "retention".

But I can understand your disappointment. And I think they should probably say something in their description in the App Store like "Account Required."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ninjoshua View Post
    It's seems like a perfectly legitimate business practice. A lot of apps are free because they encourage you to use a service that allows the company to make money.

Take the eBay app for example. It's free, but you of course still have to pay fees to sell something on eBay.

Bank of America offers a free app to manage your BoA accounts. You of course have to have a Bank of America account to make this app useful.

I usually research the company and their software in a web browser before downloading apps.

And as far as the 'bribe' I would agree with Rosbaughcr; a lot of companies offer discounts when they know a (potential) customer is not satisfied. Some companies have whole departments devoted to this called "retention".

But I can understand your disappointment. And I think they should probably say something in their description in the App Store like "Account Required."
    I like what your saying. I get your point. But Ebay does not charge you to use the program or to Join... TypePad does. You can use the ebay App and only pay when you buy something or sell something. Ye,s Bank Apps you need an account for it to work. But they do not charge you to Join or open an account.

iPhone? More like MyPhone luqven's Avatar
    Thanks

TO CHRISCOYNE
    the reason why they have this as a "free" app is because unlike other non free apps, it's a subscription, therefore you never pay for the app or a service that it gives you, you only pay for the type-pad service. The app only warns you that you will be unable to use it without a service, it, as they said, does not require you to pay at anytime. I do believe this should have some kind of indication of not being totally free, but you take it a little too far by saying that it is a "fraud".