+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Question: AIM

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Dear fellow modmyirs... I just picked up my iPhone 3G, and well, I have a question about this AIM thing, I use AIM all the time on my computer, but
    Thanks

Default App Question: AIM
    Dear fellow modmyirs...

I just picked up my iPhone 3G, and well, I have a question about this AIM thing, I use AIM all the time on my computer, but the lady at the at&t store said that the instant messages would still count as text messages, and considering I don't have unlimited texts, she confused the crud outta me, does anyone know if the IM's are indeed free?

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

The IM's will use your data plan not your text messages shes just an idiot lol

Thanks

Haha alrite kool, she was talkin bout how AIM for other cell phones u have to pay it as a text, and I was like wth? Then how do iPod Touch users IM? They pay too? And she said idk...well thanks for the answer. I think I'll wait till AIM improves their app a lil bit tho...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    yea most ATT reps are idiots.

Thanks

Awesome, so long as I don't get charged for texts doing this, which would quite frankly be stupid, and you guys know better than at&t, I'll check it out, but still I'm waiting for a better version to come out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trent J.'s Avatar
    Thanks

You will not get charged for texts. Or else I would be mad over on my texts..
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trent J. View Post
    You will not get charged for texts. Or else I would be mad over on my texts..
    Wrong, you will get charged for texts. AIM is not a "text" though. Using AIM will only use your data plan as stated previously.

Becareful how you phrase something or someone might get the idea that texting is free (or some other crazy idea).

Anyone else hate AIM for not running in the background? I loved Agile Messenger, and how I could be doing other things and still get replies.
    Last edited by Oen386; 07-16-2008 at 02:53 PM.

Green Apple Girrelephant Master's Avatar
    Thanks

The only thing that uses TXT is SMS.app, most ATT reps, are to say kindly "uninformed".

Thanks

Aha, thanks for all the replies guys! Umm, yeah, I was thinkin SMS.app would be the only thing to take texts, and I am still waiting for AIM to release a better version as I stated previously, we REALLY need it working in the background! Or if not at least release Agile Messenger or Apollo IM or somethin...neways, thanks!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by polishdemon View Post
    Aha, thanks for all the replies guys! Umm, yeah, I was thinkin SMS.app would be the only thing to take texts, and I am still waiting for AIM to release a better version as I stated previously, we REALLY need it working in the background! Or if not at least release Agile Messenger or Apollo IM or somethin...neways, thanks!
    jivetalk needs to make an app for iphone.

nevermind i just checked their site and this what they say.

BeejiveIM for iPhone - native application
    BeejiveIM's native iPhone application is currently being developed. We anticipate the beta will be available for download sometime in September 2008.
    Last edited by vietalogy; 07-16-2008 at 07:26 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polishdemon View Post
    I believe Apple does not allow apps to run in the background, so it has nothing to do with AIM updating their application.

Thanks

I think I may just stick to agile messanger for now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I hate aim not working in the background. Is there any app that you can be on the main menu and still be able to receive an indicator that you have a text? This is so basic......

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

Use wifi
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

Yeah I think I'm just gonna have to stick to the AIM apps available on Safari for the iPhone...for a while at least...
    You, sir, have been PWNED.
    Have I helped you at all? GIVE ME SOME LOVE, sry, I mean thanks...
    And remember, wear your seatbelt, don't run with scissors, and drink milk. Have a nice day!
    Apple Style Logo Battery
    MGS "!" Alert Custom Text Sound
    Two MGS Ringtones

ikd
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    There was a bit in the recent Developers Conference that Apple did about how IM clients would work. They have some protocol or someting that waits for info to be pushed - anyhoo, check the video out it explains it there.

[ame]http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jun/0806wdt546x/m_080690210abcn_650_ref.mov[/ame]

Look out for the Push Notification Service section about half way through. It states this service will not be available until September.
    Last edited by ikd; 07-20-2008 at 02:49 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ikd For This Useful Post:

Decon Meiou (07-20-2008), polishdemon (07-20-2008)

Thanks

Thanks for the vid!
    You, sir, have been PWNED.
    Have I helped you at all? GIVE ME SOME LOVE, sry, I mean thanks...
    And remember, wear your seatbelt, don't run with scissors, and drink milk. Have a nice day!
    Apple Style Logo Battery
    MGS "!" Alert Custom Text Sound
    Two MGS Ringtones

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ikd View Post
    There was a bit in the recent Developers Conference that Apple did about how IM clients would work. They have some protocol or someting that waits for info to be pushed - anyhoo, check the video out it explains it there.

[took video link out - Decon]

Look out for the Push Notification Service section about half way through. It states this service will not be available until September.
    This man speaks truth.

I don't believe the aim application needs to be "updated" rather it is only working at 50% capacity. Not until apple updates their system that the AIM.app will reach its full potential.

If i could, i would hug you ikd, you also realized what i have been silently screaming to myself every time i see the "running aim in the background" comments.
    Last edited by Decon Meiou; 07-20-2008 at 06:40 PM.

ikd
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I for one would not want an IM running in the background as it would muller the battery. We just need to wait until the service is introduced by apple, the I suspect we will see a load of IM clients appear.

Thanks

Well from what I understand is that the company who created the app is running a separate server that monitors your program. So if you turned on the dont sign off when app closes option the server will keep you signed in and when you receive a new IM the server sends a message to an apple server then that is pushed to you. I foresee alot of crashes when the service first starts up due to the companies constant server usage though.
    Everytime you dont press THANKS god kills an iPhone(so please save zee the iPhones)