Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AppStore Applications Pirated Already???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default AppStore Applications Pirated Already???
    ((Also, guys, before you read the below, please don't PM me of where I found this. For certain reasons, I won't be telling me where I found it. It was just simply a security/exploit article, not anything describing the method, or a video, or anything like that..))

I've heard the FairPlay DRM Certificate (which Apple uses in the AppStore) has already been hacked out there. I won't give out the location of where I found this out, but it's already been proven possible to work for the iPhone.

Sorry guys, some of you may hate me talking about this, but it was really just inevitable. Apple has tried to make money off of something that was free, and soon it will be free. You can't stop it. When an official 2.0 jailbreak comes out, I probably will expect to see AppStore apps becoming more and more widely available via free means for custom firmware instead of an actual "store."

Data can be copied, patches can be made, certificates can be bypassed and utilities can make it a whole lot easier. So, in turn I ask to open a discussion. What do you think about this? Is this awesome? Does it suck? What are your comments? I'm curious to know what people think.
    Last edited by DarkPraetor; 07-14-2008 at 06:29 PM.
    "Money is only unimportant if you have it."

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

same like with anything else. If ppl will think that something is not worth the money it costs then hackers will hack it. Same like with movies, music and programs. But no worries, developers will still make nice money. At least i hope and believe so.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Its not about people believing if the program is worth the dough they would have to fork out, they just want something for free.....dont care about the people spending huge amounts of time and effort to create these apps. Granted, I think some may be priced high, but then again to each his own. I may find an app priced high, whereas someone else may find the app much more useful to them and therefore priced right.

I just hope this does not discourage the development of some REALLY COOL apps later down the road.

I think it's inevitable, there will always be some people who refuse to pay for stuff. The internet provides a window for free* content if you know where to look. I for one plan to take no part of it, since I believe if it gets out of hand developers will simply just abandon the iPhone entirely. Then again, pirating hasn't stopped gaming and such, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Not every phone out there is being jailbroken. A majority of iphone users will buy apps from the appstore. It's the same thing with video games, like someone else said. The ps2 was incredibly easy to hack and get free games for but it didn't kill gaming. Just because there is a large community of hackers doesn't mean the legit community isn't 100 times as big.

Its plain stealing. If someone doesnt think something is worth its asking price they simply dont buy it. You wouldnt do this with a Corvette would you? If its price is more than you think its worth, would you simply go take it for nothing? SIMPLY STEALING

Quote Originally Posted by bschucher View Post
    Its plain stealing. If someone doesnt think something is worth its asking price they simply dont buy it. You wouldnt do this with a Corvette would you? If its price is more than you think its worth, would you simply go take it for nothing? SIMPLY STEALING
    When we get advanced enough to live in a virtual world, you better believe ill bittorrent any car i want.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Still, it takes a large percentage of Apple's stock jailbroken and exploited to be saying that. Nearly every iPhone on eBay was unlocked before the 3G came to light. Take a look at this website for example, it is up for.. what reason now? ...... Mkay. I'm not sure about you, but I want the most out of my phone, and so does nearly everyone I know.

Think about it this way, and this makes it beneficial to all.. Not just Apple. I personally think Apple made a terrible step which will most likely lead to their own downfall. I would not be this reckless with my own company. Developers can do better on their own, and I wish to see one day all the great stuff of the iPhone actually reaching it's FULL POTENTIAL for once.

If developers begin to abandon the iPhone because of Apple's own rules and limitations (dependent upon "protecting" it's product, right?) They will have to realize their fault and conform to OTHER peoples standards other than their own. Apple will have to change the way they handle the iPhone Developers, that means a new agreement, new terms, new type of control.. It's not in Apple's hands anymore. I know some people act like Apple has had control the entire time, but the reality is that they've really just "tried" with little success. There are many people questioning Steve Jobs' ability to run the company as we speak.

If developers handle applications by themselves, there could be less chance for piracy and more chance for actual exploits and uses of what Apple has hidden from us all, such as the "oh so secret" file-system. Give me a break guys. That means COOLER APPLICATIONS, LESS RESTRICTIONS, and MORE FUN FOR EVERYBODY. And don't even mention system instability, there are even problems with some AppStore applications from what I hear.
    Last edited by DarkPraetor; 07-14-2008 at 05:40 PM.
    "Money is only unimportant if you have it."

Thanks

Well that all depends on how easy this Corvette would be to steal.
    Now if the keys are in the ignition and everybody else around me is taking them too and its publically acessable, y not?

Hense using Installer on a JailBroken phone. hahaha

wow, the thinks I come up with when I start rambling. lol Hey it kinda made sense in the end, right? lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

You would 'steal' if you can get away with it. I personally will 'steal' a Corvette if noone will catch me or if I dont get caught so your example is a bad one.

Again, its all about economics (yes I keep banging on about it) but it's true. In the perfect world consumers will always go for the lowest priced goods (assuming the quality is the same) and it an app is pirated, that means the lowest priced goods is simply free.

Yes the whole pirate apps thing is completely wrong but it encourages development of better security.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Taniban For This Useful Post:

Girrelephant Master (07-16-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Yes the whole pirate apps thing is completely wrong but it encourages development of better security.
    Security will always be broken, which is why I believe that in order to fight against piracy, the punishment needs to be stricter. As of right now, thanks to the anonymity of the internet, one can get anything without much to worry about, but I do hope that this change. I'm all for freedom of content and not limiting internet, but the trend I've been seeing especially in the online world is a scary one. Everything can be found for free / hacked. And this by itself isn't the problem. The problem comes when young people get used to this. They expect everything in the internet free and it really undervalue the people who try to use the internet as a viable way of making a living. Developing an app is no different than any other job, and when the product of your job is stolen, it hurts you.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

i have to disagree, its not stealing as you say it is. your example of car is totally wrong. software piracy is more like someone buys a real car, then make blueprints so everyone else can make exact same copy of it without buying it for real from car maker and of course with risk of getting caught because its illegal. don't take me wrong, i don't mean to excuse piracy i just don't fully agree with your opinion about software "stealing". it like with movies, you have millions and millions of them on P2P networks and movie companies still pack up their pockets with huge amount of money. i think its all in developers hands. dont you think that if let's say monkey ball would cost 3 bucks then let's say every second iphone owner would buy it, but now with 10 bucks for a game how many people will buy it? 2 out of 10? see my point? but thats just my theory and my opinion and me as anybody else could be wrong

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    Security will always be broken, which is why I believe that in order to fight against piracy, the punishment needs to be stricter. As of right now, thanks to the anonymity of the internet, one can get anything without much to worry about, but I do hope that this change. I'm all for freedom of content and not limiting internet, but the trend I've been seeing especially in the online world is a scary one. Everything can be found for free / hacked. And this by itself isn't the problem. The problem comes when young people get used to this. They expect everything in the internet free and it really undervalue the people who try to use the internet as a viable way of making a living. Developing an app is no different than any other job, and when the product of your job is stolen, it hurts you.
    It's a cat and mouse game. yes security will always get beaten but at the same time it furthermore increases more development in security. Exactly like iPhone in which everytime we upgrade our new firmware we have to find ways to break it. You have said it yourself, 'the problem comes when young people get used to this. They expect everything in the internet free and it really undervalue the people who try to use the internet as a viable way of making a living.', then surely people will combat it by finding alternative ways to make a living.

Well, it's all up to the developers. All of the apps on Installer and Cydia were done for free, and distributed for free with them to stay free. If you charge money for your work, it should be charged; that is, if it's physical. The problem with software is that it can be copied and distributed quickly and quietly. It's like the car analogy, with software, you can buy the car then distribute the blueprints, that's all right. When there was prohibition in the U.S., previous beer companies stopped making beer and made parts of the beer, saying "be sure not to add these or you'd get an illicit beverage", and it was all legal. You can do the same thing with software, make parts and it's legal, but it's up to the consumer to either make or use the product(s), and to determine whether it is good to use them or not.

There will always be people that don't necessarily want to pay a certain amount for an app, but those same people would not buy the app in the first place so by pirating it do you really think that is taking revenue away from the developer. You cannot take away what is not there. I have paid for apps from installer and downloaded the free ones as well. Its not like I wont pay, but when the prices are outrageous or people are being charged for things that used to be free, people will find a way to get it back to the way it was. There would be no need to pirate if prices were up to a level consumers like. Like with itunes, there is a large amount of people buying music, there is a large amount of people downloading free music, but that does not change the fact that artists are still making their money.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to harryding For This Useful Post:

gavko (07-14-2008)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harryding View Post
    There will always be people that don't necessarily want to pay a certain amount for an app, but those same people would not buy the app in the first place so by pirating it do you really think that is taking revenue away from the developer. You cannot take away what is not there. I have paid for apps from installer and downloaded the free ones as well. Its not like I wont pay, but when the prices are outrageous or people are being charged for things that used to be free, people will find a way to get it back to the way it was. There would be no need to pirate if prices were up to a level consumers like. Like with itunes, there is a large amount of people buying music, there is a large amount of people downloading free music, but that does not change the fact that artists are still making their money.
    It means that they are not making as much money as they should be. Yes the developer still makes a profit, but you are 'stealing' some of his profits. If there wasn't a free alternative one would be forced to buy the app.

ya i knew this was gonna happen and i am glad it will be available soon. cant wait.

Regardless of whether you feel the prices in the AppStore are fail or not, those are the prices. You don't go into your local grocery store, decide bananas cost too much, and walk out with a bunch of them. Downloading a hacked version of an app is the same as walking into any brick and mortar store and shoplifting. Not only would downloading this make you a criminal, but would also hurt the iPhone development community.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rosbaughcr View Post
    Regardless of whether you feel the prices in the AppStore are fail or not, those are the prices. You don't go into your local grocery store, decide bananas cost too much, and walk out with a bunch of them. Downloading a hacked version of an app is the same as walking into any brick and mortar store and shoplifting. Not only would downloading this make you a criminal, but would also hurt the iPhone development community.
    Prices are flexible, and changes with comsumer supply and demand and substitutes and other things. What hacking does maybe lower the price so its not an entirely bad thing. And again as I was saying in other posts it is stealing you are right, but the difference is, you dont get caught and people will keep on doing it becuase if this fact.

I would re jailbreak if this was possible I mean if there is already something to make it work why not take advantage of it... even though mmi does not support warez which is respectable I doubt they've paid for every song on their phones

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast