+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: No Customize, must jailbreak

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
spicychicken has announced that he has tried to ask apple to let his (amazing) app into the store but apple said no so you must jailbreak Customize and Firmware 2.0
    iPhone? More like MyPhone whateverman24791's Avatar
    Thanks

Default No Customize, must jailbreak
    spicychicken has announced that he has tried to ask apple to let his (amazing) app into the store but apple said no so you must jailbreak

Customize and Firmware 2.0

As we all know, the much anticipated 3G iPhone is coming out on Friday, along with Firmware 2.0 and AppStore. There is good news and bad news.
    Bad News
    I have attempted to contact Apple, however, they will not allow Customize to be distributed through the AppStore.
    Good News
    Customize 2.0 will still be available through Installer and Cydia package managers, and will run on firmware 2.0 (I am working on making it compatible now).
    More Good News
    It will still be possible to jailbreak your phone after an upgrade to firmware 2.0. You will be able to use apps from both the AppStore and from Installer/Cydia. This should also apply to 3G Phones. As I find out more, I will post instructions on how to do this.
    Best, Spicy

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

mcdj (07-31-2008), oo3 (07-15-2008), sammo123 (07-14-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

apple should really allow customizing to be sold in the appstore
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

Thanks

well we can def see why we want to be able to change eveything but from their perspective i can kinda see why they wouldnt like the idea....screw this WE WANT CUSTOMIZE!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

mcdj (07-31-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd pay for Customize and add-ons for it through the AppStore....their loss.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Apple just loves shooting themselves on the foot! I just don't understand why they would do this? Everyone in the jailbroken world pretty much has Summerboard or Customise. By putting Summerboard or Customise in Appstore might have reduced the people who will jailbreak their iPhones.

Thanks

it's amazing that 2 of the coolest apps for the jailbroken community will prolly never see the app store, yet stupid **** like the iphone lightsaber makes it. brilliant apple!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone AKA_Ben's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple has never been a supporter of personalization. Hell almost everything they sell comes in only black, white, or metal!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Ben View Post
    Apple has never been a supporter of personalization. Hell almost everything they sell comes in only black, white, or metal!
    true, and this is the very reason why apple didnt support 3-rd party apps with 1.1.x firmware. they dont want customization, but we do, and weve got the dev team

11. The Following User Says Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

mcdj (07-31-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKA_Ben View Post
    After those old desktops that came in a mix of clear and almost every color under the rainbow I gladly welcome the black, white, and metal. THose things were hideous. I would love to have customize without jailbreaking, but I can see why Apple wouldn't want it. I think part of their reasoning is that they want someone to see you with your phone and definitively know that it's an iPhone/iPod, rather than just any touchscreen handheld device. This plan would work a lot better if every knockoff iPhone didn't pirate their icon set.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Apple just loves shooting themselves on the foot! I just don't understand why they would do this? Everyone in the jailbroken world pretty much has Summerboard or Customise. By putting Summerboard or Customise in Appstore might have reduced the people who will jailbreak their iPhones.
    Their decision to bar apps like Customize has nothing to do with blocking personalization or not wanting the money from App sales, it has EVERYTHING to do with support and system stability.

They intentionally blocked access to CoreServices because it lessens the ability for an application to actually break the system and the need for technical support. By allowing applications full bore access to the entire file system, you're just asking for issues.

Jailbreaking exists for those of us who know enough about our devices to take the next step. Your average Joe on the street does not know enough, or care enough to self repair problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RightOn View Post
    Their decision to bar apps like Customize has nothing to do with blocking personalization or not wanting the money from App sales, it has EVERYTHING to do with support and system stability.

They intentionally blocked access to CoreServices because it lessens the ability for an application to actually break the system and the need for technical support. By allowing applications full bore access to the entire file system, you're just asking for issues.

Jailbreaking exists for those of us who know enough about our devices to take the next step. Your average Joe on the street does not know enough, or care enough to self repair problems.
    this guys one of them smart city folk ...i agree though

15. The Following User Says Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

mcdj (07-31-2008)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RightOn View Post

What I am trying to say is, there should be some exceptions to this rule. Summerboard and Customise clearly does not make the system less stable. People have been using it since forever and NONE of us really have f**ked up our iPhones have we? Summerboard and Customise I would say are one of the biggest apps in the jailbroken Iphoning world, and MAYBE with a little of Apple's help, Apple can lower the number of people that jailbreaks their phone.

Thanks

Well I ve read some posts where people claim just that. When I was a noob i did get the SWOD once when I installed Summerboard, changed the theme before rebooting. I merely had to restore and re-jaulbreak and learned from the experience to FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. Sadly, the average Joe wont read or refuses to read instructions, so the rest of us suffer.

One issue I had recently as in the other day was when i decided to play around with backup and was in the process of disabling Summerboard, Customize and Freeboard (5 icon dock), I ended up screwing that up and had to restore. Not sure what I did as I "followed directions" but it happens. I also knew the remedy is usually at worst restore and re-jailbreak/unlock. Sad part is that the average user will go calling up ATT or Apple to complain about their 'lousy" product and demanding a new phone instead of realizing that they made an error that is entirely fixable. If all teh support people and Genuis bar folks had to fix these sort of errors it would be a disaster.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

cmon dev team...i need that jailbreak :P

19. The Following User Says Thank You to whateverman24791 For This Useful Post:

mcdj (07-31-2008)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

come on dev team I need customize....i will not upgrade untill customize is up and running on 2.0....my 1.1.4 is great..

Thanks

same i had an awesome 1.1.3 jailbreak but the appstore looked appealing and i thought the jailbreak was already out but it isnt...but its still good anyways!