Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WeDict

Install WeDict Dictionaries

1. Go to the StarDict website download the "tarball" file of the dictionary You'd like to have.
    2.Uncompress the tarball file with an unarchiver of your choice(for example 7-zip)
    3. After you are done de-compressing you should get three files. For the dz file, rename to gz and de-compress it.
    4. After step 3 there should be three files. a .dict file, a .idx file, and a .ifo file. You can delete the .ifo, and put the .dict and .idx files in wedict folder

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JimColeman For This Useful Post:

tsr (07-30-2008)

Tks jim.will try out soon

tks again.the dictionary works.but the brittanica encyclopedia is not compatible!after decompressing,getting the file with a lengthy suffix ending .dict.Neither it works nor the shortened with a suffix .dict!But the latter one shows up along other dictionaries on the wedict settings.any idea Jim?!

just tried it - and it works great.

Make sure you change .dict.dz to .dict.gz and then decompress this file - this will leave you with the proper .dict file.

Hope this works for you.

Jim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimColeman View Post

You can delete the .ifo, and put the .dict and .idx files in wedict folder
    Not working for me. Do you mean put them in the WeDict.app folder? Or somewhere else?
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Figured out how to keep WeDict with SSH dictionaries after reboot. Will post full instructions this afternoon.

Sorry to be dense, but is it possible to add new dictionaries on the 3G phone without jailbreaking it? (I did add dictionaries on the old phone, but it was jailbroken; prefer to leave new phone as-is, if possible.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rajputro View Post
    I downloaded some dictionaries, untar them, and got 3 files for each (.dict.dz, .idx and .ifo). However, just dropping them in the /private/var/mobile/Applications/9A5... /WeDict folder does not work.

I also noticed, the default chinese dictionary has different extentions in that folder (.dict, .idx and .idxc).

We are mising something...

Use 7zip to unzip the "dz" file and put them into the WeDict.app folder.

installed Longman dictionary on wedict on iPhone 3g 2.0.2! But when look up a word, Longman show a bunch of html code. Anyone know how to make it display properly? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimColeman View Post

1. Go to the StarDict website download the "tarball" file of the dictionary You'd like to have.
    2.Uncompress the tarball file with an unarchiver of your choice(for example 7-zip)
    3. After you are done de-compressing you should get three files. For the dz file, rename to gz and de-compress it.
    4. After step 3 there should be three files. a .dict file, a .idx file, and a .ifo file. You can delete the .ifo, and put the .dict and .idx files in wedict folder
    thanx for the info. i download a dictionary from stardict but when i try to de-compress the dict.gz file i keep getting the error message that the file is corrupt. tried it with all available dictionaries but the same msg .
    any help pls.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12