+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AppStore problems causing endless reboot

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I've got an iphone 3g and I've been having some problems installing apps via the iphone's appstore. Today, about an hour ago, i tried to install an app (sorry, i
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default AppStore problems causing endless reboot
    I've got an iphone 3g and I've been having some problems installing apps via the iphone's appstore. Today, about an hour ago, i tried to install an app (sorry, i forgot the name, but it's the Getty Images one found in the "news" category). During the installation process, the iphone crashed and immediately went into the reboot screen (black screen, apple logo in the center). It typically reboots successfully within 2 minutes. 4 minutes came and went and I decided to force another reboot (home + power button until the screen turns black and then goes back to the black/apple logo screen). That didn't work. Then, I tried turning off (home + power until the screen turns black, then stop pressing the buttons before it forces a reboot). Nada. Tried getting into recovery mode. Didn't work. Then, tried connecting to my mac's itunes. Thus far, it's not recognizing the iphone, but since connecting the iphone 3g to the mac, itunes has not recognized the phone ... itunes has a spinning beach ball. Has anyone else seen something like this? I'd appreciate some suggestions as I'm not really sure what else to try. Thanks in advance!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I remember people used to get the endless reboot if they installed more than 80 (I think thats right) apps. I don't know if that still exists in 2.0 but is there any chance you have that many apps?

iPhone? More like MyPhone sammo123's Avatar
    Thanks

my phone did this too but now ti doesnt for some reason lol
    RIP Steve Jobs.. You changed the world

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

anyone find out why this is rebooting the phone?
    i have an app that just keeps on trying to install and was wondering what it was

the app that started causing problems was dimond twister

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've noticed that the new 1.2.0 firmware isn't very stable.

Also, I was able to break out of the endless reset by using iLiberty to force the phone into recovery mode.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I guess it's a good idea to restart your iPhone everytime you install/uninstall an app. My iPhone crashes occasionally when I start an app right after I install one.

Green Apple Girrelephant Master's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphoneguy2007 View Post
    I've got an iphone 3g and I've been having some problems installing apps via the iphone's appstore. Today, about an hour ago, i tried to install an app (sorry, i forgot the name, but it's the Getty Images one found in the "news" category). During the installation process, the iphone crashed and immediately went into the reboot screen (black screen, apple logo in the center). It typically reboots successfully within 2 minutes. 4 minutes came and went and I decided to force another reboot (home + power button until the screen turns black and then goes back to the black/apple logo screen). That didn't work. Then, I tried turning off (home + power until the screen turns black, then stop pressing the buttons before it forces a reboot). Nada. Tried getting into recovery mode. Didn't work. Then, tried connecting to my mac's itunes. Thus far, it's not recognizing the iphone, but since connecting the iphone 3g to the mac, itunes has not recognized the phone ... itunes has a spinning beach ball. Has anyone else seen something like this? I'd appreciate some suggestions as I'm not really sure what else to try. Thanks in advance!
    yea, iphoneguy2007, I am right with you. I have had my iPhone crash once 2 days ago, and oncemore today. 1.2.0 is VERY untsable. I waited on hold for 3 hours to talk to them, and finally after a long time of working with Apple we finally got it to even find it in iTunes without making my Mac freeze. I am going to send you a PM with my email because I am interested in working on this very issue. Oh yea, and I am PST, but just about always up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

YES. Diamond Twister is my app that is crashing the iphone as well.

Sorry to say, you must reset, restore. AND DO NOT SYNC, otherwise itunes will try to re-install the Diamond Twister again. You'll get caught in the loop.

What a mess.

Good luck.

Currently I do NOT know how to erase an application from my account. (to prevent it from re-installing, or stopping an app from installing!) Any one know how to do this?

I will contact AppleApp Store and ask both questions.

1. How do I erase an app I know longer want. (that is crashing my iphone)
    2. How do I stop an app from loading/installing. (how to quit app installer).

I'm up again, but I don't think I can sync any longer. If I do, it will try to re-install diamond twister again. Arrrgh.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Many have complained about this hole process.... When it reboots and reboots it is in crash mode..... these are some of the things you should NOT do....

1. Delete the software off your phone use itunes to remove it
    2. If you remove the app off from your phone because you hate it remove it out of itunes before plugging your phone in and then sync..... step three how to remove it....
    3. Leave your phone unplugged remove it out of your applications first then plug your phone in and sync it.... and DON'T TOUCH IT let it sync.... (I know... it takes forever so do this at night because if you get a call then you have to start all over again) To remove it out of your applications... it is the applications in itunes and not in your applications tab on your iphone while in itunes....

To fix the problem....
    3. If your stuck at the apple logo hold down your home button and power until you see your screen go completely black... at this point it might cycle around again... keep trying it until it goes completely back.... once it goes black let go of your power button but keep holding the home button down and plug it into itunes.... then you should be able to see a connection to itunes and at that point you should be able to restore it to get it fixed.....

It may take you a few times to get this but it will work... as once the phone gets into that mode it is hard to get it out of it..... also you might have to reboot your system or reload itunes to get it to recognize the phone again...

4. If you don't want a app to install... plug your phone in... go to your applications tab uncheck it and apply...

I have noticed that when I have boughten an app once I get to my applications tab it is already checked and the only choice is to sync the phone at that time.... and I don't want to go through three hour process waiting for it to sync to install the software...

So once I buy an app... I go to my applications tab, look for the application which is always checked uncheck it and then recheck it and then I can click apply by doing it this way I don't have to wait to install the app and sync the phone.... It just installs the app itself.... If I have installed apps and want to make sure they are backed up I will wait and sync it in the middle of the night.....

I would not suggest removing a ton of apps at the same time.... as I have removed an app one time and the icon was still left on the phone... when I tapped it I was in big trouble. The best way around this is to keep control of what you are doing... don't go crazy when you are removing apps and installing them....

You can click the thanks button if this has helped

I also found this information on Mac Forums...No more "backup every time" or endless apple logo crashes!
    1. Unplug your iPhone. If you're stuck at the logo, press the power/lock and home buttons at the same time. Hold them until the phone shuts off
    2. Hold down the home button and plug in the sync cable while holding. Do not let go of the home button until the screen shows up with a cable connecting to iTunes on the phone
    3. Press the button to recover your phone. Wait for the Recovery to finish and the phone to reset
    4. Go into EDIT > PREFERENCES > SYNCING on iTunes. Delete all old backups that you feel comfortable deleting (I got rid of all of them). Also (*VERY IMPORTANT*), click the checkbox next to "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods".
    5. Select the radio button to set your iPhone up as a new iPhone. Wait for activation.
    6. Click to sync whatever you want on the Info, Ringtones, Photos, Podcasts, Music, and Movies tabs. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT NOT TO SYNC APPS.
    7. Perform a sync, then eject the phone
    8. Set up any config you want (email accounts, settings, ringtones, etc)
    9. Plug the phone in and press the sync button (it will not autosync). When you do, it will sync and take a backup. This backup takes about 3 seconds.
    10. Go to the Apps tab and select to sync ONLY clicked apps. Unclick all apps.
    11. Add your apps one at a time, like so: click the checkbox next to one app, press sync (takes a small amount of time per app). Once the app is done installing per iTunes, look at your iPhone. You'll notice the little spinning internet indicator at the top left is still spinning. Wait until it is done!
    12. Repeat step 11 until finished. Click the checkbox, press sync, wait, ONE APP AT A TIME. iTunes will not try to backup every time.

When you're done, eject your iPhone, move things around, do all your logins you have to redo since it crashed, etc. If you want to, plug the iPhone back in. It will not auto-sync since you turned that off. You can click on another app, click sync, and it syncs the new app WITHOUT a backup!

WHAT TO DO IF THERE IS A PROBLEM SYNCING AN APP

If you try to sync an app (one at a time), and during the sync someone calls you or you get an error in iTunes saying the app had a problem, go to your Apps tab, UNCHECK the app you were just trying to sync, and press sync again. Allow it to de-install fully, then click the box and press sync again to try one more time.

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR PHONE STARTS TO LAG

I don't know if this is a good idea or if it is approved, but when I open a bunch of different programs, my phone starts to get slower and slower. I also notice that when you go into a program you've already opened, it's usually quicker than the previous time. So I'm not sure if this is like OSX, where closing an app doesn't free it up, only by right click closing does it truly close. So here's what I do:

Go into an app you've already exited. Instead of exiting again, hold down the Home button for about 6 seconds until the app disappears. That seems to cause it to truly close, and the phone will work faster on other things. Now as a disclaimer, you MIGHT be crashing the app...I don't know. But it seems to help.
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 08-04-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

bhz1 (09-03-2008), starrygirl75 (08-11-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

toothfairy,

You are on the button on your last post.

Please people, re-read his instructions. They work!

Most importantly don't go crazy re-installing and queuing re-loads of your iphone. It will crash. One app at a time.

SLOW and EASY works. Otherwise, the OS crashes and down the tubes again goes your iphone.

btw I'm still reluctant of loading "Diamond Twister" again. That's the app that took me down and caused me a lot of wasted-time to get my iphone back from the graveyard.

ENJOY THE RIDE.
    Last edited by smooky; 08-04-2008 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smooky View Post
    toothfairy,

You are on the button on your last post.

Please people, re-read his instructions. They work!

Most importantly don't go crazy re-installing and queuing re-loads of your iphone. It will crash. One app at a time.

SLOW and EASY works. Otherwise, the OS crashes and down the tubes again goes your iphone.

btw I'm still reluctant of loading "Diamond Twister" again. That's the app that took me down and caused me a lot of wasted-time to get my iphone back from the graveyard.

ENJOY THE RIDE.
    Yeah it is some ride isn't it! LOL But ya gota love it!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

BEWARE of "diamond twister" it still crashes the firmware 2.0.1 and pwnage 2.0.2.

I thought I would take the chance again. BUT, I went on that RIDE AGAIN. Hard crash. Full restore... 30 minutes .. argh!!!

Unless I see a version change with diamond twister, I'm finished with that app.

BEWARE ALL.

Thanks

Well I've come the conclusion that Appstore is evil. I've deleted all of my legal apps from my phone. Then I went and looked for the cracked versions of those legal apps (and of course found others too). I've installed the app version of those apps in the root Applications folder, and so far I haven't had a single problem again (touch wood).
    So I think the hackers are just better at it then Apple with their own phone lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

You know, after thinking about this for the past month, I've come to the conclusion that these issues likely develop from a corruption of the springboard.plist file. I have yet to test this in practice with a backup of the file (and a restore after a crash), but I suspect this is the likely cause. I've also noticed that some of the larger apps take a while to install, so I would advocate patience too.

Thanks
    toothfairy,

Just wanted to thank you for the tips. I was restoring my iphone 3g several times a day thanks to the endless loop problem. I have been following your tips and I have not had to restore since. I was seriously ready to either get rid of all my paid apps (about 75.00 worth!) or go back to using my old iphone! Thanks for saving me loads of time and my sanity!
    )

Thanks

Ok... I stated this as I found it on Mac Forums...
    I also found this information on Mac Forums...No more "backup every time" or endless apple logo crashes!
    1. Unplug your iPhone. If you're stuck at the logo, press the power/lock and home buttons at the same time. Hold them until the phone shuts off
    2. Hold down the home button and plug in the sync cable while holding. Do not let go of the home button until the screen shows up with a cable connecting to iTunes on the phone
    3. Press the button to recover your phone. Wait for the Recovery to finish and the phone to reset
    4. Go into EDIT > PREFERENCES > SYNCING on iTunes. Delete all old backups that you feel comfortable deleting (I got rid of all of them). Also (*VERY IMPORTANT*), click the checkbox next to "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods".
    5. Select the radio button to set your iPhone up as a new iPhone. Wait for activation.
    6. Click to sync whatever you want on the Info, Ringtones, Photos, Podcasts, Music, and Movies tabs. MAKE SURE YOU SELECT NOT TO SYNC APPS.
    7. Perform a sync, then eject the phone
    8. Set up any config you want (email accounts, settings, ringtones, etc)
    9. Plug the phone in and press the sync button (it will not autosync). When you do, it will sync and take a backup. This backup takes about 3 seconds.
    10. Go to the Apps tab and select to sync ONLY clicked apps. Unclick all apps.
    11. Add your apps one at a time, like so: click the checkbox next to one app, press sync (takes a small amount of time per app). Once the app is done installing per iTunes, look at your iPhone. You'll notice the little spinning internet indicator at the top left is still spinning. Wait until it is done!
    12. Repeat step 11 until finished. Click the checkbox, press sync, wait, ONE APP AT A TIME. iTunes will not try to backup every time.

BUT I have noticed that the next time you plug in your iphone and install apps it starts wanting to backup again... ARGGGGGG! I WANT TO CONTROL WHEN I WANT TO BACKUP!!!!

So I went out and found this file that someone made and it stops this process....

What I did was I followed the instructions above... unplugged my iphone and then went to buy more apps and then after doing what it said itunes started wanting to back up the phone again... his instructions work great! But if you want to install more apps the good old backup will start again...

A Few ways to stop this...
    1. When it starts to backup in itunes hit the X
    2. Slide the slider on your iphone when you see it start to backup
    3. Use this file I found

I have did all three... if someone wants the file I have I can email it to you.. some guy out here wrote a script to stop it from backing up when you don't want it to... and it put it in a file so all you have to do is click the file to able the backup or disable it.. It is called DisableBackup... and I am using it right now....

One problem... I can not post it here because the forum does not accept the file extension so that is why I would have to email it to you. It is not a pirate version of some program or anything it is 100 legal and I would post it if I could.. so private message me if you would like it and let me know what email address you want this sent to works great also and relieves the good old itunes backup and backup and backup everytime you install something...

Quote Originally Posted by starrygirl75 View Post
    toothfairy,

Just wanted to thank you for the tips. I was restoring my iphone 3g several times a day thanks to the endless loop problem. I have been following your tips and I have not had to restore since. I was seriously ready to either get rid of all my paid apps (about 75.00 worth!) or go back to using my old iphone! Thanks for saving me loads of time and my sanity!
    )
    Your very welcome! Couldn't stand the problem myself and had to look for help.. since I found it thought I would share what I found....
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 08-18-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Ok I have had a similar problem but am still having some issues if anyone is able to help!

I installed aSleep off my phone from the Appstore and it never finished downloading. The app itself is 172mb appx. I then downloaded the application on my PC and tried syncing it to the phone. It appeared to finished syncing just fine but as soon as I unplugged the phone it rebooted and got stuck at the apple logo. Luckily the phone booted just far enough that I could get into an iPhone explorer program and access the file structure on the phone. I found the applications folder where the appstore apps are installed and found the aSleep folder. I deleted all the files in the folder and rebooted the phone. It booted just fine but it has the aSleep icon on my springboard with the loading bar and it does not load. I tried installing the application again through iTunes on my PC and encountered the same problem again.

So in short, even if I delete everything in the folder for this app on my phone and reboot it the "installing..." icon does not go away on my springboard and my phone keeps popping up the password box for my itunes account (which I cancel out of or the app just downloads again and puts my phone back into a boot-loop of the apple logo)

Also if I hold the icons down to get them to "jiggle" there is no X icon to remove the aSleep application from my springboard (obviously since it's not installed yet)

I'm running 2.02 firmware jailbroken and unlocked with all legal appstore apps.

Anyone have any idea how to just get the darned icon off of my springboard so I can go back to my normal life? lol!

Thank you all very much for such an amazing forum and great community!!!

Regards,
    Bryan