Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: This may be a reason why most Apps aren't free...

Default This may be a reason why most Apps aren't free...
    Hi, just wanted to point out that probably the reason why most of the apps on the store aren't free is because of the fact that developers had to sign up and pay at least $99 to be a part of the program. I think that it's fair that they at least get the amount they made back with the sales.

Also, what makes you think these programs are easy to make anyway? I'd like to see everyone at MMI try and come up with an original idea of a program, demo it, and actually try and sell it. People will buy your product if it's appealing and suits their needs. A lot of the free apps aren't even worth the download, the creators know that, but you know, it gets their name out there, people can take a look at their other apps and see if they like them.

I think in the future, it's going to be a big deal to chart in the top 5 when more programs are created. But just realize that this isn't Installer, there is no donate button, so charging for it is their best bit of getting any profit at all. Like I said earlier, unless they make the profit, they probably aren't using their developer account to the full extent and are not making enough to pay back that fee.
    Talking to the songbird yesterday...

Yeah I think most people realized that was the reason why people charged, but after buying a few, you could end up spending more on your phone in apps for it!

And I have personally seen some great free apps..
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent J. View Post
    Yeah I think most people realized that was the reason why people charged, but after buying a few, you could end up spending more on your phone in apps for it!

And I have personally seen some great free apps..
    Well, yeah, there are some great ones, I might try building one for a laugh.

The spending thing, well, it's like buying applications for your computer, except they're not $99. At least you're entitled to free updates!
    Talking to the songbird yesterday...

Not just $99 / year for dev fees.

I made jailbroken apps on my PC. If you didn't own a Mac (e.g. me), you had to buy one ($1000+) in order to make apps for the app store.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Props to the devs for their hard work, but as I said a year ago the games will be (are) too expensive and not worth buying for their price. MOSt of the games I have sen that are worth a damn are $10 each and I had to convince myself to spend $5 for ipod games back in the day.

Most of us want at least ten apps, at least. All the jailbroken guys here are running somewhere in the neighborhood of 50+ installer or cydia apps..............free.

We've given to the devs in donations, most of that "$1000 for a mac make all the money off the SDK sales" is just jive talk. Several devs on here that took donations have paid for their SDK and MAC and then some, and some have at least collected half.

Bottom line is this..... several people who had an ipod video had to CHOKE up $5 per game times 10 games or better to play them and most thought they had too much invested when they did....... this ten dollar game crap isn't gonna fly. People are leaving BAD comments on good games due to their prices... I'm looking at them right now.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

I don't mind pay for an app, assuming that it doesn't suck. The lack of demos is a huge disappointment.

Well actually its free to join the dev program, it costs 99$ if you actually want to charge a price for them. If you distribute the app for free apple doesn't charge you anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosbaughcr View Post
    I don't mind pay for an app, assuming that it doesn't suck. The lack of demos is a huge disappointment.
    I agree I would like to see a trail period for apps, like supper monkey ball! lol I dont want to spend 10$ if it is too hard, or I just dont like it. I have read mixed reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rusty778 View Post
    Well actually its free to join the dev program, it costs 99$ if you actually want to charge a price for them. If you distribute the app for free apple doesn't charge you anything.
    That's actually incorrect to distribute an application via the app store you must have paid the developers fee, free or paid.

I cant believe people whine about $10 for an app. If the game is fun at all or the app is usefull..how could it NOT be worth a measly ten dollars? If you cant afford a $5 or $10 game, perhaps you had no business spending the $200 or $300 for the phone itself. Any yes, anyone who develops a game/app has the right to be compensated for said product. The fact that so many are free is great and we should be thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I agree I would like to see a trail period for apps, like supper monkey ball! lol I dont want to spend 10$ if it is too hard, or I just dont like it. I have read mixed reviews
    Super Monkey Ball has always been sadistically hard in every iteration of the game. The happy bright fun graphics lull you into a false sense of security then BAM you're throwing your phone against a wall in frustration because the damn monkey won't stay in the stage.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

$10 isn't a lot at all. The only issue I have which is more of a personal issue is that I just don't play them much. I'll play it for a few minutes here and there, at the doctor's office for instance. When I'm at home I'm not going to play cell phone games, there's the ps3 for that. So for me, it's not the price, it's how little I'll actually play them. Look at it this way. Super monkey ball for my cell phone is 1/6 the price of GTA IV for my ps3. I doubt I would spend even 1/100th, let alone 1/6 of my time playing smb on my cell phone as I do playing GTA IV. So there's my issue.

Not an issue at all.. Your use does'nt justify you spending the money on it. However I would hope you wouldnt want it to be free simply because it doesnt have the usefullness that YOU need..

I've never solicited or accepted donations, and those that have likely made a couple hundred at most.
    The idea that someone can profit from beggarware is not realistic.
    And not all developers are charging $10, even though there's nothing wrong with it. Apps are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for.
    If an app is overpriced, the numbers will show it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

Aurora Feint is one hell of a free app.

the part that i see wrong here is that alot of these "developers" got their start here at MMi, looking at free third party code and then creating their apps, and pretending like they never heard of MMi or ever asked for help here when it came time to sell their apps instead of giving back to the community that helped them create the app in the first place