Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Thread: Band App WTF...?is a discussion within the
Apple AppStore App Discussionforums, a part of the
3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touchsection;
07-11-2008, 10:09 PM #1Band App WTF...?
Guys.. the creator[s] of Band App... first off all... Hats off to these guys... they are amazing / creative / unique / innovative when we all where on 1.1.4 [Jail broken]...
And Congrats once again to make it "Official" by Apple in "App Store" And WWDC 08 KeyNote in June... that was a HUGE HUGE step id say to keep things hush hush yet take that 1 step further leaving the so called "underground" world (Jail Break) into serious Legitimate stages of publicizing the app in the legit "App Store" for 2.0
Why charge such a FEE? £5.99? Im sure if you guys opened a donations e-mail associated to your PayPal, loyal members regards of being Legit or still on 1.1.4 Jail Broken would appreciate the App and out of own good will, they may donate towards it to see future "Add-Ons" Such as Instruments, GUI, Themes, Hacks etc...
I personally think for the Legitimate option to get "Accepted" via "App Store" would have been...
1) Keep Band App totally FREE as before to MAXIMIZE End-User usage / awareness...
2) Perhaps CAP the App to 2 Minutes or 5 Minutes of usages then PURCHASE FOR LICENSE for UNLIMITED USAGE..
3) Keep App FREE but Additional Instrument Add-ons, charge a certain fee to download? (if you want that is..)
I am unaware if Apple know about this App being Free in the "Underground World" but i am certainly not happy about the charge for this application... Although i am please to see it hit the App Store and being a Featured App and also the Creators Making it on stage demonstrating at WWDC 08 KeyNote.. Now that a big achievement... Great stuff... well done
Just not happy about the price that all...
Might have to restore time to time back down to 1.1.4 to use this app or wait till Dev Team to Jail Break the 2.0 Firm Ware in order to get the app Free along with many other "Free" instruments...
Never the less... the Creators of Banacd... Well Done to hit is in App Store..
07-11-2008, 10:16 PM #2
07-11-2008, 10:53 PM #3
^--what he said.
People complain too much about prices. If the apps are great, such as this one, then they deserve to be bought. 5 bucks sounds even more reasonable then 15.
07-11-2008, 11:00 PM #4
Funnily enough... i just downloaded that Monkey ball game... the 1 by SEGA... and BAND App via App Store... and i can use it instantly... i don't understand? I mean it shows me a price... after tapping it.. it shows me the install button... and i can use it perfectly... i mean where is the section where end users "Pay" for apps? :s unless they going to AUTO deduct my O2-UK account and add this on my bill??
FoneWeasel - Na na don't get me wrong here... i mean fair play.. yeh awesome id donate £10 ($20) to these guys for being; Niche, Innovative, Creative.. Il donate or give credit where due as me personally work hard or clients websites, my own online lifestyle magazine, and in the process developing my own native app for the iPhone App Store which im looking to give away Free as its my first.. can't leak too much info as its Niche at the moment.. (All be revealed soon...)..
However what is contradicting me is that.. one of the "respected" apps that was once "FREE" and still is "FREE" via 3rd party installer sources... as the main source repo has removed the app now... but if others do research im sure they will get it if on 1.1.4 jailbroken firmware... IS NOW costing "legit" owners? I wouldn't mind donating that £6 ($12 in the long run...) but then again exact same app.. no changes (i assume) is on the "Underground World" - (Jailbroken Firmware - Installer.app) - For FREE ??
Shortly after the Dev Team release a tool to JailBreak the new firmware / new iPhone 3G - Installer.app will be use by many.. infact atleast 40% minimum will have access to non-signed 3rd party apps... some which they may have "PAID" for earlier and found out its FREE after using a certain Jail Breaking Tool and entering a hidden source to get the apps and even MORE cooler apps for FREE...
For me at least 65% Apps in App Store that are to Buy... regardless how cheap... is pathetic... example > FLASH LIGHT?? On Installer.app that flash light we had ... i think by that polar bear or who ever... was extremely useful for me and a few mates when going out at night... sitting in the car doing whatever / sessioning (drinking up) before going in... at least that app had a DIMMER.. I.E. > Adjust the light... SAME APP concept is in App Store but got to pay i think over £1 or £0.50p or whatever but is just total rubbish... :@
Anyway bottom line is... i just don't know why its a chargable fee... i can restore right now to 1.1.4 and jailbreak the iPhone and enter a source and get the app for free amongst many other instruments all free saving me £5.99 which can be invested on a hosting bill for my eMagazine... (all revealed soon)...
Never the less.... id still like to put a donation towards well thought apps like Band.. but £5.99 compared to getting it free has put me in deep thoughts at the moment... might need some time to re-consider.. They were too in our position and had their iPhones jailbroken in the first place in order to release this app anyway... lol
But i guess the Band creators will only update the Legit App from now if you think about it... as they making $$ out of it... and incase apple turn around saying why you guys giving this app for free after agreeing for it to be signed with our App Store... blah blah blah... hmmmm....
I guess il give it a day or 2 to decide... *BTW im not trying to sound cheap here.. LOL*
Last edited by Jazz2k8; 07-11-2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
07-12-2008, 01:14 AM #5
07-12-2008, 10:35 AM #6
If you complain about $12 for something that you hae and use, then you are cheap. If I put a few weeks into creating an app, yea, I think charging a couple of dollars is ok.
So what if you could have got it free off of installer? When I was 16 i worked at Burger King and ate for free all the time. YOu don't see me b*tching about how I still can't go back there and eat for free.
You want it for free? Downgrade to 1.1.4 and lose are the features of 2.0/1.2.1 . Weigh out whats most important to you and take it from there.
I just HATE hearing talk like this. I'm a graphic designer and have to hear from people why I should do their flyer/website/poster/menu/banner for free, even though I may spend 40+ hours working on it.
07-12-2008, 04:19 PM #7
Many of the apps on Installer were created with the appstore in mind, and were only released for free because the author knew that the apps wouldn't work on 2.0.
Also, Apple forbids any AppStore app to be distributed by 3rd parties. This essentially means that any app that is released via Cydia etc will get pulled from the appstore.
07-12-2008, 05:59 PM #8My response to your argument
1) PayPal donations. I have _always_ ever since iAno back in February had a PayPal donation link both on my website and within the app itself. I didn't expect much from it. I got I think about £200 in total, and every donation gave me extra will to continue supplying you with apps so I'm hugely grateful to those small number of generous people. However, it shows also that any idea that voluntary donations support anything is laughable. My costs over this period were way more than that, and have since spiralled. That £200 was payment for FOUR apps that were each downloaded by a quarter of a million people. They took my evenings for four months. So I turn this around: how many of my apps have _you_ personally used and liked, and how many have you donated towards over the months? My PayPal page is still open if you have a sudden attack of guilt.
2) Crippleware. So I _could_ give Band for free and only let you use it for a day unless you paid me. That makes me think of the Jailbreak Blackjack fiasco. You want that really? I didn't think so.
3) Free app, with extra instruments being paid for. Currently the SDK will not allow additional content. I suspect that developers will demand it and Apple will provide, and then, yes I will provide additional content, and yes I will charge _something_ for it because I will spend a lot of my personal time creating it. I truly believe that a lot of you think that this stuff is easy to do. I used to write video games and once in Blockbuster pointed at a poster of a game and said "We make that" and the woman on the till said "Oh yeah? How many do you make a day....."
4) Jailbreaking. JLA is right. (and seriously good luck with the tuners, man) I can no longer legally support or condone jailbreaking. I'm not going to get into a huge discussion here about the pros and cons to you of that.
The basic problem is this: I am too selfish to give up _thousands_ of hours of my life when I could be doing other things just to give you a free application, and you are too selfish to spend 10 bucks on something that you otherwise want.
I don't really have a solution to that. But you don't have to buy Band if you don't want to. I _did_ once give it away for free, and I've never retracted that offer. But the free version is almost certainly not compatible with the latest firmware.
Apologies for ranting, as you haven't deserved it. But 50% of my "reviews" for Band in the US App Store are from people with your mindset who feel that undermining my app with snide comments about jailbreaking will somehow make future apps free. It won't.