Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Taking apps out of appstore ?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

you paid 3, some of us paid 4 or 5 or 6 for our device, on top of our monthly service. we deserve free stuff, you don't.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Quote Originally Posted by HylianHeroX View Post
    Edit2: I put the .plist and other file into mobile/Library, and no luck. Probably designed to not work....?
    The framework from 1.1.4 to 2.0 is quite different. Apps designed for 2.0 will not work in previous FW's.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

wait so if I upgrade to 2.0 from my 1.1.4 will all my apps and layout etc be different? all I tried to install were the free apps last night but it was stuck on syncing iPhone, and I'm still on 1.1.4 is that why?

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    you paid 3, some of us paid 4 or 5 or 6 for our device, on top of our monthly service. we deserve free stuff, you don't.
    I wanted to get an iPhone, but I'm locked in my Verizon contract...

If you think Apple has to charge for Touch updates, explain all the new features in Apple TV for free? TiVo for free? Digital Cameras for free?

Sorry, that doesn't explain anything. Apple wants to charge for the updates, period.

For example, they could have banked the Touch firmware costs for early adopters against the Software Store revenue they are gaining...
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

imho none of us (normal users, not developers) should get the 2.0 firmware until EVERYTHING that 1.1.4 had, is ported to the new firmware. For instance i will never, ever install 2.0 if there's no smbprefs, customise etc (software that changes actual system icons) and to be able to change every icon the way i want it. its 1.1.1 going to 1.1.3-4 all over again. think about it.

and let me just say this. how long til the appstore or appstore applications hit the installer? yeah it will be warez, hoax. whatever u may call it. but mmi, or any other site including apple cannot control warez. therefore "warez repos" "appstore crack pages" will exist and so on. (they already exist if u google a bit).

and for the record. installer made apple rich. installer made us happy. not apple. not the iphone. dont break it if it works.
    Thanks is an acknowledgment

Quote Originally Posted by iChopPryde View Post
    Yes you paid $300 and you got what you paid for 1.1.4 firmware or whatever it is, if you want new features that apple is offering to the device then you pay for the service its very simple, other devices just have firmware updats that fix problems there device is having and those are free if apple ever needed to do that but there adding features which they don't have to offer the touch at all if they dont want too. People using an iPhone pay a monthly fee therefore get continues updates it makes total sense.
    No, it really doesn't. I have an iphone, but think about it: EVERY other device in the world offers free firmware updates. It's standard practice that when you pay for your device, whatever it may be (dvd player, console, PMP, phone, etc) -- that you are paying for the "final" version of the product, in other words, firmware upgrades included. Presumably all new ipod touches being manufactured now will have 2.0 included on them -- so why should people who bought theirs be expected to pay a second time?

It's a bad business practice and its silly to defend apple on this one. It's one thing to "think different" but not "thinking of ways we can suck more money out of our customers pockets". Apple is the ONLY company that does this.

The new Wii and PSP firmwares both came out recently and neither one requires some monthly fee and both added many new features -- but Sony and Nintendo know what a slippery slope it is to charge people for firmware updates . And do you think the 2.0 Firmware doesn't also address bugs that were in the 1.1.4 Firmware? Apple isn't just charging for features when they charge for this firmware, they are charging for bug fixes -- frankly, I'm not even sure that should be legal.

By the way, if you want to read more about the why google or wikipedia the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

Basically, iPhone and Apple TV updates are free since revenue from those products is realized as a subscription over a period of time, but iPod touch updates can't be free since Apple just records that revenue directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    By the way, if you want to read more about the why google or wikipedia the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

Basically, iPhone and Apple TV updates are free since revenue from those products is realized as a subscription over a period of time, but iPod touch updates can't be free since Apple just records that revenue directly.
    The Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) deals with with corporations and their actions regarding financing and accounting, not at all to do with subscriptions vs. flat rates. Also, if that was true, why aren't tech companies that sell products (EX Microsoft) in trouble for not charging money for product updates (EX Service Packs)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckel View Post
    The Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX) deals with with corporations and their actions regarding financing and accounting, not at all to do with subscriptions vs. flat rates. Also, if that was true, why aren't tech companies that sell products (EX Microsoft) in trouble for not charging money for product updates (EX Service Packs)?
    I have absolutely no idea. I'm no trying to defend Apple on this position (I think it's a really stupid one), just trying to let people know what their position is.

Engadget did an article about this a while back and touched on the flaws of the argument. I wish Apple themselves would come up with a "why" answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I wish Apple themselves would come up with a "why" answer.
    I would love to have an answer to why they deem it necessary to charge iPod touch users money for firmware when it is standard practice to provide all upgrades free, especially on an electronic device where new ones will have that firmware for no extra cost to those who will buy the new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingAi View Post
    I feel you man. Why charge us even more? i mean the touch is about the same as the iphone in inital price...

its probably checksummed or something to prevent people from messing with it, im not too sure :P
    You have to pay because once you buy the iTouch neither Apple nor AT&T gets anything from you using their product. They're motivated to develop new software for iPhones because they receive money from these users each month.
    Last edited by Rosbaughcr; 07-14-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosbaughcr View Post
    You have to pay because once you buy the iTouch neither Apple nor AT&T gets anything from you using their product. They're motivated to develop new software for iPhones because they receive money from these users each month.
    Apple doesn't get anything,

except millions from the App Store
    That's one of the reasons the update is cheaper now.
    Though I agree, it should have been free.

apple didn't force you to buy the iPod. I bought an iPhone refurb for 250. Cheaper than you paid for all tour touches. You should have done the same when they were available. So stop complaining. If you want the 2.0 update for free, google it.

I didn't sign up for a contract btw. ( If someone could add this on my first post that'd be great)
    Last edited by keatonreckard; 08-06-2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12