+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: App Store Review

is a discussion within the

Apple AppStore App Discussion

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default App Store Review
    The App Store is over expensive. We got similar applications for free that the App Store now would like us to pay. Some are at an ďokĒ price and others are just outrageously expensive.

Lets start with the Iphone applications first:

Electronic Books - $9.99 to $17.99
    Currently 9

4 in a row - 4.99
    Remember that game called...umm...well...I can't remember but it was on installer under the same name for free. This version just looks better and you can connect to another Iphone.

Air Hockey - $0.99

This version of Air Hockey looks very bad compared to the installer, and youíre paying 99 cents more!

Mahjong - $9.99

Looks a lot better than the installer version, and when I say that I mean itís got a background now instead of black. So a $10 background.

Finger painting - $1.99

No other way to say this, but this is Sketches on the installer. You can draw over pictures and maps.

(Another) Air Hockey - $2.99
    No pictures were included with this so I can only assume youíre getting ripped off.

Flashlight - $0.99
    Biggest rip off! Even on installer the entire app was just a white screen! Compared to other applications this is a rip off.

Ok sorry this is the biggest rip off...

English to German Dictionary - $29.99

This is Free on installer and I used it every day! FOR FREE!

French to English Dictionary - $29.99

Come on this is terrible who would by this for that much?

French Dictionary and thesaurus - $29.99

Really!

There is more they are all the same price, I'm disappointed...

Labyrinth - $6.99
    Ok, even there was a price for the installer version, but it came with trials.

Photo Dial - $14.99
    Why would apple make us pay for an App that many got for free on the installer?

Favoreter - $2.99
    This is the same thing as Photo Dial! Why do we need a second?

Pianist - $5.99
    Everyone should all know this is free on installer

Solitaire - $7.99
    This game, on the installer, was fun! I played it everyday. But why 8 bucks?

Sudoku - $7.99
    Sudoku books cost less that this!

Pool - $5.99

The installer version was fun; sure it was only a 5 game trial, but still.

Blackjack - $2.99
    A deck of cards cost about that much! For a bonus you can play with your friends for money!

Vegas Solitaire - $2.99
    Now this one is really disappointing...It is terrible...Itís not even in wide screen mode. The background is all grainy and the cards are really small. So free is better yet again.

Video poker - $1.99 and $4.99
    The cheep version of this game looks horrible and the expensive one looks amazing...I think apple is just doing this to make you buy the more expensive version.

Now here is the ones I found to be really stupid.

Web Search - $1.99
    This is an application that allows you to search on either MSN or Yahoo...LIKE YOU COULDN'T GO THERE ON SAFARI!

Weight Tracker - Free
    To summarize this app...Youíre just writing down what your weight is, but on an Iphone. Sure it is good to know how much you loosed.

Now here are 3 apps that do the same thing but cost different.

VoiceNotes - Free
    Voice Notes - $9.99
    Voice Record - $0.99

Now I was shocked when I saw the first two, the only thing that is different is there is a space in between 'Notes'.

They are all the same...You can make as many Recordings as you wish. And surprisingly you can play them back. Why the price differences? And why 3? Two would be good enough.

Picocalc Free - Free
    To be honest I don't know what this is, its in Japanese; it looks like the dialer on the Iphone

Phone Saber - Free

Now you might be thinking wow! A light Saber! All this is a graphic light Saber that moves back and forth while you move your Iphone side to side. I think pretending that my Iphone is a light saber is cooler then watching a graphic move back and forth.

Paquet - $4.99

This is the weirdest version of Tetris yet. Itís just too weird, I would have to buy it to find out how to play.

My Picks:

Pcalc - $9.99
    This is a scientific calculator/Unit converter. There is a Unit Converter on the installer and a scientific calculator but this one is combined and you can transfer your calculation into a different measurement with a couple clicks.

Jott for Iphone - Free

This is another voice recording application. However, this version records your notes and changes them to text. In other words this is a voice to text application. Now after reading the other three voice recorders this one takes the cake!

Friends - $4.99
    This application is just like the photo dial application I reviewed at the top. This one even looks cooler. Why are there so many similar applications? Anyways this is just the slandered click the photo and you dial the number, but if you didn't like the photo dial this one is for you.

File Magnet - $4.99
    This is one of the more impressive applications that I was sure apple wouldn't let happen. Basically, it allows you to use your Iphone as a portable drive in which you can store photos to word documents. The only downside is you need to have a Mac and it does not work on windows.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ooh thanks for the review.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

To answer some of your questions/concerns:

Why are there so many of the same? Basically, if you followed the guidelines of the SDK, any developer could submit and upload pretty much everything. Add to the fact that everyone was under an NDA and you have a bunch of coders with no real indication of their competition.

In my opinion, I think for 1st-day launch, we got what was expected. I imagine that as the store grows and time passes people will start finding the "best" apps (reviews will go a long way here), not only will we see less of the same, we'll also see more affordable pricing. Like the voice record example you posted, they all do the same yet 1 is free, the choice is simple there. So I say we wait it out and let the good apps weed the crap out.

2nd, when it comes to pricing, you compare apps to Installer/Cydia. They're two different platforms. Installer is a warranty-voider, do at your own expense experience for jailbroken third party apps. Everything in it for the most part is free because the developers want to give to the community. The AppStore however gives the developers a way to make money. Every price on an app in the store isn't chosen by Apple, the developer is the one slapping the price. If they want to charge for their time, more power to them. However, these apps are all under the guidelines of the SDK and fall within the warranty of your phone. So in the odd-chance an app bricks your phone, you won't get turned around in an Apple Store.

I think that we really need to give it a couple of days (weeks even) to see the store shape up into something awesome.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

First off, Rougelead, the appstore isn't asking these prices, the developers are.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Transient's Avatar
    Thanks

Not to mention there are like 3 or 4 Zen Rock Garden apps. What's up with that? There must be a lot of Buddhist developers, or something. SERENITY NOW!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The amazing thing about the app store is we get to see how indie designers can destroy the inflated costs of professional developers. There seem to be several apps they are selling now where features are nearly identical but with drastically different prices. Given many jailbreak app designers will probably make and sell their programs for very little, I'm curious how long we will see $10 voice recorder apps. Also, I can only guess that since the various developers couldn't see what their competition was charging, many accidentally overpriced. I'm betting in a few weeks, you will see apps with easy to code features all drop to 99 cents.

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

hmm i think your selfish people are just trying to make a little extra cash besides i dont mind paying 4 an app i use every day like flashlight
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

yep as always they are ripping off our ideas and trying to sell them, your an idiot if you buy anything from the app store. Why did we even open this thread? don't encourage them.

Thanks

I'm not crazy about some of the prices either bit I must say the apps I've purchased from the app store blow away their counterparts on installer. Look great, play great everything.

I too think the prices will drop over the next few weeks and I'll definately be spending some time at the app store!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    a complete rip off! is there anyway i can get myspace.app from our jailbroken installer?

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laz305 View Post
    yep as always they are ripping off our ideas and trying to sell them, your an idiot if you buy anything from the app store. Why did we even open this thread? don't encourage them.
    You do realize that most of the developers for the AppStore are part of the 3rd-party Community? People like Moo, the guy from Omnituner, Erika herself have been great help to the jailbreaking community and are now also working with the AppStore.

They're not ripping anyone off. In fact, you're the idiot for thinking that you're entitled to everything on the internet for free.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

mikdiamon (07-11-2008), Napoleon_PhoneApart (07-11-2008)