Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mod your iPhone earbuds

Default Mod your iPhone earbuds
    Check out this... a nice tutorial on how to mod your Apple iPhone earbuds and still keep the inline mic and play/pause switch.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to editwizard For This Useful Post:

1hihum (09-12-2009), bennyg (09-08-2008), Bloodspatter (04-25-2008), CaptainChaos (10-24-2008), diggie2002 (12-18-2009), DirtyDan (01-09-2008), evolutionarymc (09-28-2008), eyeandi (03-17-2008), ianbroste (09-28-2009), JuanKi (06-10-2008), MaxRabbit (10-19-2008), mrsidewayzz (10-13-2008), ProjectGSX (09-04-2008), realisticmind1 (10-23-2007), SLapp (10-07-2008), ToasterBoyOhFour (10-15-2008), Tokyo (11-22-2008), virinel (01-26-2009), XM2002AN (10-15-2007)

Heh, nice tut.

Thanks
    This couldn't have come at a better time... I just picked up a Gillette Razor kit that came with free in ear head phones... first off, they are white and then second, they come packaged in a plastic round wind up case for the headphones...

I'm going to buy a soldering iron tomorrow so that I switch my ipod headset with the in ear ones that I just got... and they should all match with the white also...

wonderful... can't wait..

thanks for the tutorial...

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Thanks, edit, thats a good find. Now do I really want to pull apart my Bose headphones... hmm.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Thanks
    i might rip out my shure headset ear buds and put them on the apple wire just so i don't have to buy a shure adaptor with the button... I dunno.. just thinking.. $100 is a lot to blow if I screw up my headphones..

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Yah, exactly. Which is why I haven't done it yet.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

Quote Originally Posted by muxi61 View Post
    i might rip out my shure headset ear buds and put them on the apple wire just so i don't have to buy a shure adaptor with the button... I dunno.. just thinking.. $100 is a lot to blow if I screw up my headphones..
    Don't try to mod your shures. You need to find a set of headphones similar to the ones shown in the video that have a removable cover that allows access to the back of the speaker without damaging the earpiece, and that isn't possible with any of the shure models... nor the bose or bang & olufsens, or pretty much any high end headphones with molded ear canal inserts.

The JVCs in the video are good because the plastic cover lifts off cleanly, if you are careful, and can be glued back on once the soldering is done.

Imma tell you what, the Marshmallow in the video popped apart a whole lot easier than in real life....

You would thing after paying $600.00 for the phone, they would have some good earphones. That is the only thing I am disappointed about with the iphone.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SiddallStudios For This Useful Post:

meberra (03-09-2008), stocis (05-15-2008)

There are shure's out there for $99 and they are very clear midrange to trebble but the BASS SUCKS ***.. worst $100 I ever spent took them back the same damn day to the at&t store.

Sucked!

Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    There are shure's out there for $99 and they are very clear midrange to trebble but the BASS SUCKS ***.. worst $100 I ever spent took them back the same damn day to the at&t store.

Sucked!
    It's called "acoustical accuracy."

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

I'm waiting for someone to do this with some nice sounding headphones that are easy to take apart I'm way to lazy to be buying earphones taking em apart over and over

As a site owner I feel it is your BOUND duty to purchase three different pairs of the most expensive earbuds you can find and take them all apart for modification. Recording it along the way of course....

The $99 shure headphones are the ec2

These are ok headphones , I own the ec3

and they are very good with great highs and mids but lack the bass. The better deal is going with Westone Um1 that you can get on ebay for about $75.

The have a higher Frequency response and a better Sensitivity level than Shure's EC2.
    Sensitivity: 105dB SPL/mW shure
    Sensitivity: 114 dB/mW Westone

But as with smlaux said, none of these headphones are easy to take apart. And to spend a $100 on them and risk screwing them up, I don't have the money to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by itchy11jr View Post
    But as with smlaux said, none of these headphones are easy to take apart. And to spend a $100 on them and risk screwing them up, I don't have the money to waste.
    The way to do that would be instead of taking anything a part, snip the wires an inch or so down, strip and solder them and close it up with some heat shrink tubing.

Thanks
    you guys should seriously check out the V-moda headphones.. they are very nice and the bass response is great...

here's my review...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167

I love the fact that they used a cloth type cover on the wire... I have found that this keeps them from getting tangled as easily....

My roommate has them and they do sound great. They do not have the "clicker" button, which is a deal breaker for me.

Time to find my soldering iron! :-D

I just did this and it works great. The only hang up i had was getting the apple ones open. I all but destroyed them in the process.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,277 Times in 652 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muxi61 View Post
    you guys should seriously check out the V-moda headphones.. they are very nice and the bass response is great...

here's my review...

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167

I love the fact that they used a cloth type cover on the wire... I have found that this keeps them from getting tangled as easily....
    read that, they look great, for me not button = no buy though

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

Jackie925 (05-04-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone GreggSymington's Avatar
    Thanks

These were easily modified. They sound 10 times better than the stock headset, bass is great as well. OH, and they stay in your ear!!! Just remove the gray covers to get to the connections. Be careful with the small round cover as the only have 2 small posts that secure them to the earbuds and break easily.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051826204625
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -5335728_rc.jpg  
    Last edited by GreggSymington; 07-31-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast