+ Reply
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mod your iPhone earbuds

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
this is a neat little mod.. i never thought of doing it. im gonna try it on my motorola headphones too.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

this is a neat little mod.. i never thought of doing it. im gonna try it on my motorola headphones too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

Default my mods
    here are my "custom mod" sony MDR-EX51 painted and cut and skullcandy ink'd metal green. sony earbuds are good but i have to say 15 bucks skullcandy kick ***** of 50 bucks (when i bought them) sony. really good sound and crazy loud. no way to listen music with volume all the way up... annd they both fit and hold perfect in my ears.
    ps: thanks for great mod whoever started this. very nice diy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mod your iPhone earbuds-earbuds-1.jpg   Mod your iPhone earbuds-earbuds-2.jpg  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gavko View Post
    here are my "custom mod" sony MDR-EX51 painted and cut and skullcandy ink'd metal green. sony earbuds are good but i have to say 15 bucks skullcandy kick ***** of 50 bucks (when i bought them) sony. really good sound and crazy loud. no way to listen music with volume all the way up... annd they both fit and hold perfect in my ears.
    ps: thanks for great mod whoever started this. very nice diy...
    How easy was this mod?

What steps you took to open up the Skullcandy buds? Thanks!
    • On T-mobile with 2.0 with help from Pwnage 2.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by meberra View Post
    Ok i did the marshmallow mod but didnt like the way they sounded. they did how ever fit my ears really well. but whats the point of listening to Drum-n-Bass if you cant even hear it. so i looked around the forums to see other mods and "ddfilms" had a pic up of the skullcandy ink'd smoken buds. i've heard they sounded pretty good and they look kinda cool. so i went for it. sense no one had a tutorial on these i fig. i'd do one.
    (Warning: These ear buds are epoxied together so getting them apart will be pretty tough if you don't take your time)
    -If not then this will happen

As you can see they broke right in half... not good
    (i had to wrap them back up nice and pretty and do an exchange)

ok take 2... this time use your exacto knife and cut slowly around the mid part of the buds closest to the speaker. now you should be able to cut them in half with out braking them. and they should pull apart to look like this.

After getting them apart, take note of the wires. Right ear bud is gold+ / red- Left ear bud is gold+ / green-(or blue) if you work one bud at a time it'll be alot easy to keep track of and avoid mistakes. So de-solder the wires, tread out the old wires in goes the apples, and re-solder in.

Ok just about done... go ahead and plug them in you iPhone/iPod as they are, and give them a test (dont put them all the way in your ears do to the wires still being exposed) just to see if sound is coming out of each speaker. If everything is good, take some hot glue and put a good glob inside and put them back together. hold'em tight for a few seconds and your all done! and hopefully you love'em

Now you can say "good bye" to those stock, i dont wanna fit in your ears apple headphones.
    there you go

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aiyo For This Useful Post:

Bradley. (06-11-2008), diggie2002 (12-18-2009)

Thanks

I just "upgraded" my iphone headset as well, with the Skullcandy Ink'd headphones too! For $15 , they sound great, much better than the stock ones. Bass is more clear since these are buds. I got mine at Fry's, looked around at other more expensive ones, but opted to go with these. No regrets. Just got back from the gym, glad I did it since one of my old speakers was busted. That was my 3rd set of headsets.

Thanks

Great tut, thanks man.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

just a little tip for any future modders, if you grab a hairdryer and heat the headphones up before for about 5mins quite close to where the glue is its going to help you to get them off!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Last edited by waldog; 06-02-2008 at 05:35 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WindsorFox View Post
    The way to do that would be instead of taking anything a part, snip the wires an inch or so down, strip and solder them and close it up with some heat shrink tubing.
    yup...thats what i did. works great. sometimes the heat shrink snags on zippers though.

Thanks

Very nice trick
    I am very happy with the original headbuds though... otherwise I'd give it a go!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    great tutorial

Thanks

I just finished modding my Sennheiser CX300, it took me almost 3 hrs. I love this earbuds!
    Great tutorial.
    P.S. for those that are afraid of messing up your favorite earphone the Skullcandy ink'd have a good sound and has the mic for $30 at Best Buy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mod your iPhone earbuds-modded-cx300.jpg  
    Last edited by yankeeland; 06-17-2008 at 04:26 AM.
    8g iphone 1.1.4
    Win XP

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Green Apple
    Thanks

does anyone know how the CX300 compares to the new Sennheiser MM50 ip for the iphone?
    Last edited by tallshorty; 08-30-2008 at 11:39 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i have B&O A8's and some Shure E4c's

Green Apple
    Thanks

dam it is hard to take the iphone 3g headphones apart...i destroyed the grey rubber to finally take the buds apart. But my Sennheiser CX300 won't go back together...sigh...this is tough...shouldn't have attempted. I think I'm now just going to go buy the Sennheiser MM50 ip.
    Last edited by tallshorty; 08-29-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks

my new 3g iphones were in a bag, that i lost, and i blew a headphone on my 1st gen iphone headphones after replacing the buds with original ipod ones already, so, it took me about an hour but here they are:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mod your iPhone earbuds-img_0008.jpg  
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

iPhone? More like MyPhone wannagotopopeyes's Avatar
    Thanks

So I saw that tons of you have modded the Skullcandy Smokin' Buds for this mod.... But I just got the skullcandy Full Metal Jacket Chrome version of these earbuds... and I cant really see how to open them. Im assuming it is the same way as the original SC's, yet I don't want to break anything in the process from doing it the wrong way! Gimme some feedback on this if you can thanks
    i LOVE apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I gave up and just bought a Shure SE210 earphones and the Shure music phone adapter. Pricey but at least no headaches...

Thanks
    That's awesome. Stock i(anything) headphones suck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    just done this on my sony earphones!

Took the sony ones apart to see how easy it would be and broke one of the wires off the solder and thought what the hell and just did the lot. Im impressed thanks!

+ Reply
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast