Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mod your iPhone earbuds

Default Skullcandy Ink'd Buds Mods
    Ok i did the marshmallow mod but didnt like the way they sounded. they did how ever fit my ears really well. but whats the point of listening to Drum-n-Bass if you cant even hear it. so i looked around the forums to see other mods and "ddfilms" had a pic up of the skullcandy ink'd smoken buds. i've heard they sounded pretty good and they look kinda cool. so i went for it. sense no one had a tutorial on these i fig. i'd do one.
    (Warning: These ear buds are epoxied together so getting them apart will be pretty tough if you don't take your time)
    -If not then this will happen

As you can see they broke right in half... not good
    (i had to wrap them back up nice and pretty and do an exchange)

ok take 2... this time use your exacto knife and cut slowly around the mid part of the buds closest to the speaker. now you should be able to cut them in half with out braking them. and they should pull apart to look like this.

After getting them apart, take note of the wires. Right ear bud is gold+ / red- Left ear bud is gold+ / green-(or blue) if you work one bud at a time it'll be alot easy to keep track of and avoid mistakes. So de-solder the wires, tread out the old wires in goes the apples, and re-solder in.

Ok just about done... go ahead and plug them in you iPhone/iPod as they are, and give them a test (dont put them all the way in your ears do to the wires still being exposed) just to see if sound is coming out of each speaker. If everything is good, take some hot glue and put a good glob inside and put them back together. hold'em tight for a few seconds and your all done! and hopefully you love'em

Now you can say "good bye" to those stock, i dont wanna fit in your ears apple headphones.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meberra For This Useful Post:

1289786 (03-22-2008), 1hihum (09-12-2009), Aiyo (04-28-2008), ddfilms (03-19-2008), iFilipino (03-13-2008)

Thanks

Thanks meberra. +1
    Click that "Thanks" button if I helped you!

This may be a stupid question, but why go to all of the trouble with soldering and taking apart earphones when any earphones can be used with a simple adapter?

I got the Belkin adapter.
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=374491

I suppose if you are good at soldering and have the patience for it, then why not?

if you guys don't mind for the clicker its real easy to customize almost any without even buying an adapter i just got a nail clipper and clipped around the plug and it now fits perfectly and you can't even see it cause its plugged in but i'll probably merge it later for the click for now these skulls are good

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

meberra thats a great tutorial. I broke mine apart gently. then used super glue (its called Zap CA, for anyone who has a hobby shop close by) to put them back together. but you are right in be careful so you don't pull them apart like the first pair you tried. sorry i couldn't help with fixing those but glad you got them to work. Target sells the Ink'd buds for $15 in lots of colors.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ankitsid's Avatar
    Thanks

wait

so have we figured how to open up the smoked' skullcandy or whatever

cuz i was planning on buying that tonight and i heard the wire comes loose easy
    so id open it up and re sauter them?? ish

hmm...I dont really find anything wrong the iphone headphones, but I do find that they make my ears kinda hurt after an hour or so of use.

This mod is fantastic! I never used the headphones that came with the iPhone because they hurt my ears and suck big donkey balls. I've been using my Apple in-ear-headphones and just unplugging them when someone called. But I did this switch using my in-ear-ones and it's the greatest thing ever. I didn't even know the microphone was a button until now because I never bothered messing with the crappy headphones. Woo for reading iPhone forums at 3 in the morning because I can't sleep!

For anyone interested in trying this mod, the marshmallows are on sale for $7.99 at circuitcity. I did the mod this weekend and love it.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-M...7&mid=FW6jrgyu

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is the best mod. The apple phones hurt my ears after awhile.
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

KelvinalF
    great tutorial but i'm lazy so i bought iBuds for about $5 and with some crazy glue they're great here i'll put some pics up and hey the crazy glues in the 1st pic

heres mine:

i used to use my SE w810i for music all the time, and since i went to the iphone, and the headphones suck, i hacked apart my w810 headphones, b/c they are excellent in sound and quality. overall i am pleased.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

nice mod

Thanks

this should really be a sticky

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

@KnottyBoyJ:

how did you pry your Sony Ericssons open? been trying a while now, but they wont come open..

alex.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandr View Post
    @KnottyBoyJ:

how did you pry your Sony Ericssons open? been trying a while now, but they wont come open..

alex.
    you have to be really careful and precise. i took an exacto-knife and carefully slid it b/w the the white and grey part of the earbud and once you get it in, it will just pop right off, but be careful b/c it is fragile.

hope that helps. it wasnt easy, the modd took me about 2 hours. but i went slow and steady.

Last edited by KnottyBoyJ; 04-23-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

now for bose earphones

knottyboyJ:

thanks. I'll see what I'll manage.. but what I really wanna do is try it on my Sonys, but they can't seem to be opened.. mdr-ex71's.. any ideas?

alex.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandr View Post
    knottyboyJ:

thanks. I'll see what I'll manage.. but what I really wanna do is try it on my Sonys, but they can't seem to be opened.. mdr-ex71's.. any ideas?

alex.
    hmmm, those look a bit tough to open up. but most likely its the silver part which will come off. try to use an exacto knife to pry it open. good luck with it.

Thanks

Dude! thanks so much meberra! I bought the ink'd and had no idea how to open up. I was just about to return them, when I saw your tut. Really great dude! I suggest everyone buy some Skullcandy Ink'd Earphones. They ƒucking rock!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast