+ Reply
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Mod your iPhone earbuds

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
haha woah a whole half inch damn u should have worked with mine u would have died soo small and my soldering iron is HUGE
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ankitsid's Avatar
    Thanks

haha woah
    a whole half inch damn

u should have worked with mine u would have died
    soo small and my soldering iron is HUGE

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ankitsid For This Useful Post:

iPinch (01-12-2008)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
    Going to go find some cheap headphones to try this on first. If it works out I'll try some better ones, and maybe buy some Skullcandy Smokin' Buds to do this with!

I'll post up pictures and info as I do this!
    PLEASE do, as I would love to use these to do the mod as well.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-SC-SBB3-5-Smokin-Earbud-Black/dp/B000CMTZO8/ref=pd_sim_e_title_2"]http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-SC-SBB3-5-Smokin-Earbud-Black/dp/B000CMTZO8/ref=pd_sim_e_title_2[/ame]

Green Apple
    Thanks

awesome mods guys! i've got a pair of denon earbuds i'd love to do this with if i can take them apart. i've got a pair of bose earbuds and triport headphones that would be even better but i'm not risking it!

oh and by the way guys i had an old pair of triport's that you had to use with an adapter for the iPhone but i got a new pair for christmas from the apple store and they've been updated and now come standard with a smaller diameter headphone jack specifically for the iPhone! all of the bose headphones and earbuds have this now i believe

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Has anyone successfully spliced the wires from the iphone headphones with the wires from another set of headphones? I've heard of people trying but I'd like to know if anyone has actually gotten it working. I'm thinking of doing it with the cables from my Ultimate Ears 5eb's that way I don't have to rip open a set of headphones and I can use the new cable with another set of UE's I have.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Emir S.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Splicing the wires works as it should. Technically, there is no difference at what point the Apple cable connects to the buds....inside just seems like the cleanest choice.

As far as Skulls...they wont work as they are dipped in resin so the solder points are sealed. I tried .
    Splicing, soldering and a bit of shrink tubing did work flawlessly however.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I found someone that did the mod with the skulls!

I have written him asking him for instructions on disassembly just now and am hopeful he will reply tomorrow

i am excited! I read where skullcandy has an iphone version of the fmj with the button and mic but it will cost $89.99 which SUCKS so this mod will save the day.

My only other gripe now is what to use to paint the iphone cable black

OOOOHhh, I see the shrink tubing like you mentioned even in the pic I posted So I guess splicing is the best (and probably only) option for these and other phones like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Emir S. View Post
    Splicing the wires works as it should. Technically, there is no difference at what point the Apple cable connects to the buds....inside just seems like the cleanest choice.

As far as Skulls...they wont work as they are dipped in resin so the solder points are sealed. I tried .
    Splicing, soldering and a bit of shrink tubing did work flawlessly however.
    What size shrink tubing did you use?
    Last edited by prototype_sx; 01-11-2008 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Working Ultimate Ears / iPhone buds!
    Hi Everyone,

I took the plunge last night and bought a soldering iron to mod my iPhone headphones to splice the cable on them with the ultimate ears super.fi 5eb's. Below are pics of the final product. They work great so far! I just connected each wire from the iphone headphones to the UE cables and then soldered, electric taped and then heat shrink wrapped them. The end result is that I have a ultimate ears compatible cable that I can use with both my 5eb's and 5 pros!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mod your iPhone earbuds-copy-dsc00003.jpg   Mod your iPhone earbuds-copy-dsc00004.jpg  

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tangfj For This Useful Post:

bpwhistler (02-26-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Emir S.'s Avatar
    Thanks

@prototype,
    I have a pack with various sizes and the smallest one fit. I lost the paper sheet from it so I'm not sure about the diameter.
    Just make sure you don't buy the cheapest cheap ones as they dont shrink much.
    The more rubbery it feels, the better it will be for this aplication as it needs less heat and will enclose the wires.

Good Luck

Thanks

This makes me wish I had a soldering iron.

I got the Fiyaa!

Thanks

olives i can do it for u
    if u dont wanna do it
    im redoing mine tomarrow

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

this is a great tutorial, i was thinking of a way to do this recently because i am not too fond of the iphone headphones, thanks for this tut it will be put to some good use.

Thanks

I have done this like 6 or 8 times with all types of earbuds trying to find the right one. If your careful you can just desolder the earbuds and attach new ones. I've tried jvc, sony, phillips and finally settled on skullcandy. All with same stock apple earbuds. i dont recommend gluing until you have a pair you like and dont tie the knots too tight. Then when you get them the way you want them, i used superglue, but you can use whatever works hot glue or some sort of epoxy resin. This is the way to go if you dont want to shell out 100 bux for earbuds. although now that i think about it. I couldve bought 2 pairs of the high-end type for what ive spent.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Lol nice tut.

Thanks

are the skulls any good? quality wise

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah splicing the wires and connecting them back together doesn't seem to work =/ i just messed up both my headphones. i tried solder the wires, but the solder wouldn't stick to the wires...so i taped them up and see if i could get any sound and that didn't work either..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I dnt understand y companies handicap their products like this

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

I did this with a 15$ pair of Skullcandy Ink'd Smokin' Buds (the blue ones) works perfect and sounds great. you do have to glue them back together. They separate at the white band in the middle. I will try to post a pic later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mod your iPhone earbuds-img_0020.jpg  
    Last edited by ddfilms; 02-17-2008 at 09:02 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ddfilms For This Useful Post:

meberra (03-11-2008)

fld
    Thanks

Hey, thanks for the tutorial!

After watching the video, I decided to try this method on a pair of headphone I have (Sony MDR-V300). And the result is... check out the below image as well as the video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajsqk06T0ew"]YouTube - Apple Iphone + Sony Headphones[/ame]

P.S Yes, I do like AVB - A State Of Trance!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    damn..why did i not see that before buying my b&o earphones. but if i think about changing the earphones of my b&o i am afraid to loose the nice quality.....

great tut anyway

Green Apple
    Thanks
    This actually a pretty old guide - but a good find nonetheless!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/05/d...d-replacement/ - posted July 5th 2007.
    Anyone interested in a trade? See here:
    Trade: 16GB iPod touch + case + speakers + CASH for 16GB iPhone

Windows, just another pane in the glass.

+ Reply
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast