Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MetalliCover for iPhone 4 (Review)

Default MetalliCover for iPhone 4 (Review)

Who would've ever thought that sticking a slab of metal on the back of your phone would look so sexy? metalliCover, a company based out of Israel, apparently did, and they thought correctly. metalliCover specializes in making unique aluminum back plates for the iPhone 4 that comes in a plethora of different shapes and designs, and instead of just being a back cover, metalliCover thought it would be cool to add a matching front plate as well. Today we will be taking a look at two very cool plates that resemble a leopard skin and something to do with a figure named Aquarius. Let's dive into the review and see if metalliCover has what it takes to add a new category of iPhone accessories to the market.

Very much like the Trunket Skins that I reviewed back in June, the metalliCover comes in a very simple package, a small envelope, to be more precise. Anyway, you'll get the front and back plates themselves, as well as a set of directions on how to install them, which is very easy, to say the least. The plates, unlike other skins that I have used, do not have adhesive throughout the whole body of the plate. Instead, they have adhesive in the center of the back, which reaches out to the near edge, but not all of the way, in case you want to remove the decals later. The front plate only has adhesive around the bottom and top portion, but the sides, which tend to stick up from time to time.

Taking a closer look at the skin itself you will find some very cool looking things, the first being how thin the actual plate is, paper thin, almost. The unique designs are obviously another thing to take note of, with the Aquarius design being the most unique and vibrant of the two. The plates offer a very industrial look that combine both the easy of simplicity and fabulous craftsmanship into one design. The carvings (or should I say etches) are very precise and there seem to be no visible blunts or errors. There is a fairly large cutout for the camera and the flash and surprisingly, no issues have arisen when it comes to taking pictures in low light conditions.

The front is a little bit of a different tory then the back plate, obviously, with itís different cutouts and pieces. Unlike the Lucky Labs or Gelaskins skins, metalliCover has made a front plate that not only covers the top and bottom portion of the LCD, but also the sides, a very nice addition to an already fantastic looking product. That being said, there is no adhesive around the edges, so the sides tend to flare up front time to time, but I assure you that it is nothing too annoying, at least for me. You have your usual cutouts for the top, all perfectly aligned, as well as the same for the bottom, with a slightly larger home button cutout than the actual home button itself, which helps in aligning the plate on properly.

When it comes to durability and things along that nature, it comes in two forms. Two forms? Yes, read on. For one, the metalliCover stands up to everyday abuse very well and I doubt any drops or slams would break this piece of aluminum (thatís not saying your actual phone will survive the fall). On the other hand, the plate does pick up scratches fairly easily and are visible in even low light, which can look kind of cheap, in my opinion. Besides the few downsides that I have mentioned above (scratches and flaring), there is one last thing that I would like to comment on before summing up the last of this review. If you are a person that loves to rock their phone naked, you may find the metalliCover a bit uncombfortable, as I did. The sides are rather sharp and can rub up against the skin, which can be very irritating.

Overall, I like the metalliCover, and I like it a lot. While some people may not exactly enjoy some of the designs and the industrial look, other people will absolutely fall in love with it. If you can get over the slight scratching and strain when rocking this with a naked iPhone, then you will be in for a treat. The metalliCover can be had for $30 over at metalliCoverís website and they are available in over a dozen different designís and patterns. Follow the link, as always, to get yours.

Rating: 4/5

MetalliCover &mdash; iPhone4 Full Metal Jacket - Engraved Metal Covers - <i>Free shipping</i>
    Founder & Editor In Chief of On The Edge Apps

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

"If you can get over the slight scratching and strain when rocking this with a naked iPhone...."

What does this mean?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings