+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone Dead :(

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I had bought an iPhone 3G(s) Power Station - Backup Battery w/ Power Indicator - External Backup Battery (1000 mAh) from Buy.com Few days back, i charged it for 2
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Lightbulb Iphone Dead :(
    I had bought an iPhone 3G(s) Power Station - Backup Battery w/ Power Indicator - External Backup Battery (1000 mAh) from Buy.com

Few days back, i charged it for 2 hours and then tried to charge my 3GS but it couldn't charge my phone fully and got discharged after a while.
    Learning from it, this time i charged the Power Station for 6 hours and the battery indicator was showing fully charged.

After connecting the power station to my 3GS second, the phone is not turning ON again

I'm dead.. put forward your comments on what can go wrong and how can i make it work again...

Thanks

http://www.buy.com/prod/iphone-3g-s-...213269896.html
    Last edited by pawan.bishnoi; 11-05-2010 at 04:33 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,203 Times in 6,978 Posts

So your iphone does not come on at all anymore? Even when plugged in to a regular plug?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No it doesn't come ON even after connecting to the power plug...

Thanks

Have you tried doing a hard reset by holding the home and power button until the apple logo comes up? It can sometimes take like 30 seconds or more to show up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    that's the first thing that i did.. then i tried connecting it to the power supply.. but in vain..

it seems its a normal for the power supply i bought from buy.com.. many people have faced the same problem.. few even got the power circuit replaced..

Thanks

Damn that sucks, sounds like it might have burnt out your battery or logic board.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I hope you still got an iPhone warranty on it? If so take it to apple

Green Apple
    Thanks

My guess is that 8us$ (1000 mAh)External Backup Battery have no intelligent current surge control IC inside,

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    well i have unlocked it already so that closed the last way out to go back to apple and get it replaced

Thanks

If it isnt coming on then apple won't know it was unlocked so you will be fine to take it back to them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

same thing happened to my iphone...however it did turned on again after i left it in the iphone holder attached to a vent with the car heater on....i guess the increase in temperature made it work again...anyway the car heater will not fry the iphone...also i used a hairdryer and it worked....now i am trying to restore the firmware...will post if it is successful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98car View Post
    If it isnt coming on then apple won't know it was unlocked so you will be fine to take it back to them.
    They couldn't tell immediately. They might figure it out subsequently. Taking it back to Apple at this point is a risk-
    but I would guess you have a pretty good shot.

lemma:
    the more "broken" it is ->
    the harder it will be to tell it's been hacked ->
    the higher up the Apple Support foodchain will be the tech that discovers its been hacked ->
    more intelligent and possibly more sympathetic Apple techs in judgment over your sins

di-lemma:
    chance that you could lose your phone? That they won't fix it and won't return it? Or would want to charge you if they do return it? I would guess this is what you're worried about; I have no idea how likely it is. Possibly not even a factor.

Edit
    I've been snooping around, and so far can't find ANY reports of people who brought JB iphones in for repairs, that were refused repair or charged extra, for the condition of being unlocked or JB. Technically it "violates the warranty" but in your case it sounds like they won't know until after they've done the repairs, and even if they knew in advance, wouldn't actually care.

The greater danger is- if the system board is bad (fried by the PowerStation) its possible they may just junk it and send you a brand-new (well, refurbished) 3GS, and all your data would be gone. When you contact Apple Customer Service, be sure to let them know you're concerned and want to keep your data if humanly possible.
    Last edited by raduga; 11-21-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

I once returned a jailbroken itouch to apple. It even had a theme on it. The reason is because it would turn on. It's worth a shot.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

do not let apple fix your iphone...if its 3gs.....the battery is ok...i fixed my iphone already...
    i downloaded the custom firmware 4.1, tiny umbrella to save the shs and limera1n....and my iphone 3gs is back and alive !!!

btw do not use apple's 4.1 firmware......you can dload a custom firmware....
    Last edited by roseolegario; 11-21-2010 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roseolegario View Post
    same thing happened to my iphone...however it did turned on again after i left it in the iphone holder attached to a vent with the car heater on....i guess the increase in temperature made it work again...anyway the car heater will not fry the iphone...
    Huh.
    Your iPhone died after being connected to a bad power supply? Or was it water damage?

The car heater may not destroy the phone, but ANY kind of unusual heating can damage the battery, and most likely will degrade it. I'm glad it worked for you, but I wouldn't advise you to do this very often. If your phone stops working when its cold, that sounds like a bad solder joint.

Apple can fix this! Or any friendly phone repair/hacker geek, who's handy with a very fine solder tip.

Doesn't sound like Pawan's problem to me, though.

also i used a hairdryer and it worked....now i am trying to restore the firmware...will post if it is successful.
    Hm...
    You used the car heater and it worked?
    And then it stopped working and you used the hair dryer and that worked?

Cooking your phone isn't something you should be doing very much; water trapped inside is about the only thing that would be helped.

Pawan:
    You've tried a hard shutdown (holding down Power and Home buttons for 15 seconds) right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pawan.bishnoi View Post
    well i have unlocked it already so that closed the last way out to go back to apple and get it replaced
    you sure it nulled your warranty?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

apparently not water damage...software glitch...after i updated the firmware to 4.1...jailbreaked it using limera1n... now my 3gs is working again...unfortunately i was not able to save the old baseband...i am waiting for the unlock of 5.14.02.....