+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: speck candyshell - batwing

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
pros : slick - easily slides out of pocket - complete coverage - can easily lay phone face down with coverage cons: heavy case - buttons don't feel like your
    iPhone? More like MyPhone silent1643's Avatar
    Thanks

Default speck candyshell - batwing
    pros: slick - easily slides out of pocket - complete coverage - can easily lay phone face down with coverage

cons: heavy case - buttons don't feel like your pushing them - only one screen protector with no squeegee

my impressions were pretty high for this case seeing that speck released more color options
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzvr13S_j10[/ame]

ordered the case from thegreatguys.com for $21.95 plus $4.95 ship (they have it now for $19.99) which was a great deal

item arrive within a few days - case is very nice to the touch and covers the iphone in just about every way - case came with one screen protector which was kind of a downer considering switch easy cases come with 2 and a squeegee - the case lock button on top is nice but you dont get that "im pushing the button and know i pushed it" kind of feel - feels more like just pushing down on just rubber than pushing a button. My final concern is the weight of the case - it is very heavy once its on the phone and feels more like a brick in your pocket which is disappointing. Over all i give it 3 out of 5. I had a capsule neo before this was was satisfied until the bottom piece broke off - i think my next case will be a switch easy colors or rebel - - where are all the stylish lightweight hard cases? bla

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah plus the corners rip very easily where the rubber slits are in the corners. Tried two and they both ripped.

Thanks

i do like the capsule neos, but from all the reviews stating how difficult they are to put on it makes me hesitant to buy them. i reallllly like the looks of this case here and how easy they are to put on and take off. Thats important cause i need to remove it to put in my armband to workout or be able to clip it on my armband. Im going to def look into getting one of these.

Thanks

yeah the neo was a pain to take off since it had three parts - this case just needs a little bending the right way

the speck case would be a lot better if it was thinner and light weight still can't get over the weight of the phone with this case on it

fast forward to 5:15 or so
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTKoCgrTSMI&feature=channel_page]YouTube - My CandyShell Review For The iPhone 3G[/ame]
    Last edited by silent1643; 08-15-2009 at 06:34 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Wow, the shells look amazing. I didn't know such beautiful shells are available for iphones. The price seems to be very expensive. Is there any other way to get these kinds of shells in cheap? Let me know.
    mod/edit links removed

Thanks

the $19 price mentioned above is the cheapest you will find a speck candy shell - most iphone cases (that are worth a damn) are $20+

Thanks

i got mine for 17 plus tax.... just shop around.....it should be here monday ill write a review here too

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thanks guys for your wonderful information. I am looking forward to it. I think I can get them in more cheap price. If I am successful I will let you know.
    mod/edit links removed

Thanks

I just wanted tp type of a really quick review.

I love this case. From the moment i put it on i knew it was different than the others. I love fact there is a silicon liner inside of the outer plastic shell. This truly gives the iphone a feel for impact resistance. I feel like i could drop it from the roof and it would not break (i still won't do that). The face is just half way covering the chrome bezel making it easy for screen protectors to stay on (see complaints of seido and incase sliders). The case is fairy easy to take off so i can put it in my arm band and gym it up. I love that the volume rocker and the power buttons are covered too. My only complaint is that there is no belt clip and the vibrate switch is a little deep from the case.

This is a great piece of gear and if you like the colors i would suggest buying it.

PS. its really not heavy at all, wimps.

Thanks

Does anyone elses batwing push on the volume buttons so you cant adjust the volume?

Thanks

how does the thickness compare to the incase slider? i much prefer this one piece design but would also like a thinner case.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by InvertedS2c View Post
    Does anyone elses batwing push on the volume buttons so you cant adjust the volume?
    Take the phone out of th case and bend it inward a bit around the volume rocker area. It fixed mine, the case is very bendable/flexible.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FliP76 View Post
    how does the thickness compare to the incase slider? i much prefer this one piece design but would also like a thinner case.
    i would say the candy shell is probably approximately 1.5 mm thicker overall compared to the incase slider. I also had the slider and ruined many screen protectors because of it. Also i pretty much had to take off the top part of the case to get to the bottom part in order to dock it so it was useless in that factor. Go speck.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D to the M View Post
    i would say the candy shell is probably approximately 1.5 mm thicker overall compared to the incase slider. I also had the slider and ruined many screen protectors because of it. Also i pretty much had to take off the top part of the case to get to the bottom part in order to dock it so it was useless in that factor. Go speck.
    I would say this is exactly true. My wife had the incase slider originally for her iphone, until it took a bit of a spill and cracked the case. (Phone was ok though, woohoo!)

We looked around and eventually found the speck candyshell, and after remembering some of the reviews that I'd read on ilounge.com, I thought that it was worth investing in. My wife got the blue variant, and has been happy with it so far. I like that it feels somewhat impact resistant and has a bit more heft to it, since my wife tends to forget things everywhere, it's harder to walk away without it accidentally.

Overall I like the case, but agree, the buttons feel squishy and I have some worries that since the case fits so tightly, that it might eventually damage the volume and power button.

Thanks

hey do u have ne speck holsters? Does it fit any of them? I have 2 Speck Holsters Armor Skin & the plastic case one no longer on their site.

hey do u have ne speck holsters? Does it fit any of them? I have 2 Speck Holsters Armor Skin & the plastic case one no longer on their site.
    Last edited by laz305; 09-12-2009 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laz305 View Post

I emailed speck about this right after i got my batwing. They stated that their engineers are working on a holster but there is no ETA. so just keep your eyes peeled.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Update:

My wife is still happy with her Candyshell case, but we've noticed that the lower front portion of the case has cracked near the side of the charging port.

The case still looks great, but it's somewhat frustrating that this happened so quickly. I've checked with the wife and she says that she hasn't dropped or been very hard with the phone, which I definitely trust.

Seems that this has happened (being let down) with two different Speck cases now.

Thanks

ok update I just got mine and I can see now why thegreatguys can sell them much cheaper than speck, cuz mine looks used not new has a lot of scratches on the back. They shouldn't false advertise and say it's new.

What ever it fits great even with my BSE Total Body Sheild.

FYI it fits on the Speck Armor Skin Holster just fine. Face in only tho, it'll still hold face out but won't snap into place like it does face in.