+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OtterBox for Iphone 3G

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
hey guys i wonder if anyone has tried the Otterbox yet ? well i am kinda of looking to buy one but need some of your advise or review of
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default OtterBox for Iphone 3G
    hey guys i wonder if anyone has tried the Otterbox yet ? well i am kinda of looking to buy one but need some of your advise or review of this case before i put my 50$ down for a case ..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can't write up a reveiew on this item, as I've not had a chance to try mine out, but I bought the defender series, as I'm off on holiday/vacation in June, and did not want to get sand in places where sand should not go. Having already used an'otterbox' for my PDA, I took the plunge and brought one for around 27 pounds (thats about $41) including postage.

The product is very well made, although the plastic feels cheep. The rubber sleeve fits well and gives a good feel, although adds obvious bulk. The reason I bought this is that every place that either sand or light rain might enter has been covered, although not waterproof, I'm sure it will stand getting a bit wet. Certainly is well covered on the protective side, with all corners protected. The screen has a cover that although it does not stick to the screen, will create air bubbles when used, but a small price to pay for the protection.

And it comes with a belt clip, that feels secure. Will certainly help on hikes etc.

Just noticed this whilst testing, I have a 'Zagg' clear skin front and back, and Its almost impossible to clip the iphone in the otterbox hard plastic case. Probably need to remove the back skin (it was getting worn and peeling off anyway)

I will not be using this as a daily case for my iphone, as it takes away from the whole reason I bought the phone in the first place.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by baldeagle; 05-18-2009 at 05:51 AM. Reason: new update

3. The Following User Says Thank You to baldeagle For This Useful Post:

benjiuk (07-01-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

cool thanks for the reply.. i guess i'll juz go ahead and order one. I work at the Auto Auction, my type of work is very active ,i move around the whole straigh 8hrs at least 3 times/week,so i guess maybe this help me protect my phone better, i juz have my second one replace from the Apple. 499$ with tax ,the last one got ran over by a car at the auction... thanks again

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ya its goood its a little bulky but if you want protection you have it!!! but if you buy it make sure u use an anti glare with it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had the otterbox defender for my 3g and I think it suffocates the phone, I never had my phone out of that case but only to clean it & it scratched the hell out of my black glossy 16 back of my phone. Really a waste of 50$.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hateraide View Post
    I had the otterbox defender for my 3g and I think it suffocates the phone, I never had my phone out of that case but only to clean it & it scratched the hell out of my black glossy 16 back of my phone. Really a waste of 50$.
    i agree on you with that one, my back is begining to get scuffed up, but me personally i've droped mine at work so many times, that i'd rather have a scuffed up back then a broken lcd or worse...so far the case is holding up extremely well for me...plus i like the lifetime warrenty, part of my rubber ripped on mine, called them up, they sent me a new piece right away no questions ask

Theme Creator
    Thanks

I just got mine last weekend. I can definitely verify the air bubbles on the screen (between the phones screen, and the case screen). The case itself is very nice in my opinion. It is very rugged, and does a fine job of protecting the phone and absorbing impacts suffered from dropping the phone...which coincidently brings me to the belt clip. It is far inferior to the phone case itself in my opinion. At first glance, you may be led to believe that the phone can go in the clip face in OR OUT. This is not the case. it will only stay in the clip face in. And it is very easy to knock the phone out of the clip (which is how I know that the case does a good job of absorbing the impact of dropping the phone) The only thing holding the phone in the clip is two "ball and dent" style points, one on each side of the phone. pushing fairly softly on the side of the phone can easily knock the phone free. I have addressed this issue with Otter Box via email, but I am not expecting much. They have offered to send me a new clip, free of cost. While that is very nice of them, I don't see how it's going to solve my problem...the phone easily being knocked out of the clip.

To solve this problem, I have modified the clip, adding a pressure release clip to the top of the clip. I will post pictures if anyone is interested. This has pretty much solved the problem, with the added bonus of being able to now hold the phone in the case both faced in and out.

Thanks

As for the bubbles, use the anti glare film and you should have no probs. For ME this is the best case ever!!! Ultimate in protection, great belt clip holster. A rock solid product worth the $50.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

I dusted the screen with baby powder to solve the watermark issue. It worked like a charm. I just held the phone face down over the bottle of baby powder, and squeezed the bottle. You should see a little puff of powder come out of the bottle. Then just turn the phone face up, and blow off any excess powder (you shouldn't really be able to see any powder on the phone when your done). Then just put it in the case and your good to go!

Am I the only one who does not like the belt clip for the 3G?

iPhone? More like MyPhone BoneCrif's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a OtterBox case for the iPhone 2G, but I'm pretty sure that they're really similiar, but not exact, due to the 3G having a bulge.
    But I would highly recommend the OtterBox for anything...
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/accesso...id-itself.html

Also, to get rid of the air bubbles:
    Get some sort of screen protector and put it on the underside of the membrane on the OtterBox. To clarify, put it on the side that would touch the iPhone screen.
    I did that and it got rid of my air bubbles 100%. You just have to make sure you stick the screen protector to the membrane correctly.
    8GB iPhone 2G
    3.1.2 - Unlocked and Jailbroken

AMD Athlon 5000 Dual-Core 2.2GHz with 4.00 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1hihum View Post
    which coincidently brings me to the belt clip. It is far inferior to the phone case itself in my opinion. At first glance, you may be led to believe that the phone can go in the clip face in OR OUT. This is not the case. it will only stay in the clip face in. And it is very easy to knock the phone out of the clip (which is how I know that the case does a good job of absorbing the impact of dropping the phone) The only thing holding the phone in the clip is two "ball and dent" style points, one on each side of the phone. pushing fairly softly on the side of the phone can easily knock the phone free. I have addressed this issue with Otter Box via email, but I am not expecting much. They have offered to send me a new clip, free of cost. While that is very nice of them, I don't see how it's going to solve my problem...the phone easily being knocked out of the clip.
    yeah i know what you mean about that, but me personally i prefer my phone to be face in...i tend to sometimes catch corners of tables, walls etc...i believe if i had my phone face out, these encounters surely would have cracked my screen...i dunno i feel it's so much more protected facing inward, that way it's the case that takes the beating