+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Good iPhone Projectors?

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pico projector for displaying videos from the iPhone 3G? I've been looking for something that I can use for watching movies and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Good iPhone Projectors?
    Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pico projector for displaying videos from the iPhone 3G? I've been looking for something that I can use for watching movies and TV shows during breaks between classes.

I've never really used a projector and don't really know how to make sense of the specs, but I'm looking for something that can be run on battery power and connects directly to iPods and iPhones without needing a mess of extra wires. I've looked into the Optoma unit but it is more than I'd like to spend and it doesn't even have a speaker

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Yes, I have the AAXA P1 pico projector - it's $250 with the Ipod / Iphone cable and it connects directly. The resolution is 640x480 which is more than adequate IMO. The brightness is mediocre, but pretty good for a battery powered projector, I can get 60-70" video in the dark and a 30" video with lights on.

I know the apple store in japan sells the Optoma projector, but I recommend this one because it has higher resolution, is brighter, and has onboard 1GB storage / video player.

There's a lot of other ones coming to market recently too.

first pic is ~30" bright room
    second is ~70" dark room
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good iPhone Projectors?-dsc03694.jpg   Good iPhone Projectors?-office.jpg   Good iPhone Projectors?-p1_box.jpg  

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wow... actually I didn't know the new pico projectors were capable of that kind of image size. The prices have definitely come down since last year when I first looked into these devices. Do you have a link to more info and where you got it from?

Thanks
    I got it directly from AAXA's website:

AAXA P1 Pico Projector - LCoS Based Hand-held Micro Projector - LED Pocket Projector

It's also being sold at a few places online. Make sure you don't get the replica one, the optical internals are better in the AAXA unit.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just remembered the P1 was featured in the NY Times recently. Anybody else have experience with it?

Thanks

I just ordered two of them. I think they are great they aren't really bright but in a dim to dark room the picture quality is very impressive. I had it up to around 70 inches in a dim room and it was very watchable. It is by far the most portable projector I have ever seen. I originally bought two so I wouldn't have to move them from the home office to the bed room but after getting them I have decided to sell one. I don't like that there really isn't a way to mount it like on a tripod or anything (or atleast none that I know of).
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something. -- Jackie Mason

Thanks

3m makes a pretty cool one.. just use screensplittr or video out to use it

Thanks

If anyone wants to buy a pico p1 I have a brand new one still in the box. Just pm me.
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I buy something. -- Jackie Mason

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Found a recent review for the AAXA P1. The guy also put together a cool tripod mod for it.

AAXA P1 Pico Projector Review

Green Apple
    Thanks

my friend has a pico p1 and he loves it i dont know much about projectors so i couldnt go into details

Thanks

3M has one that i had that was very bright, it was some laser projector just about that size

Mini-Projector Face-Off: 3M MPro110 vs. Dell M109S
    Last edited by z3r01; 05-02-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

FINALLY... the AAXA P1's just came off backorder (they said the recent reviews boosted demand quite a bit)... and MINE is on it's way!!

I can't wait for it to come in and play with it. I'm going to compare it with using a buddies full-size projector. I'm sure it won't have a comparable level of brightness, but I need something I can carry around that I don't have to plug into the wall.

I know some of you have been waiting for these to come off backorder too... l'll work on a little write up and we can compare notes.

Please feel free to PM me about the projector if you're interested

BTW, does anyone know if the Apple has any pans to do full screen mirroring anytime soon? I guess it's not a big deal since I'd need to have the iPhone in my hand to operate it anyways, but it would still be cool to be able to see everything projected anyways.