+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: JVC AVX44 Car Stereo and iPhone 3G

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Hey all, Does anyone have a JVC AVX44 car stereo and use it with their iPhone 3G? I'm wanting to buy one of them and I want to know how
    Thanks

Default JVC AVX44 Car Stereo and iPhone 3G
    Hey all,

Does anyone have a JVC AVX44 car stereo and use it with their iPhone 3G? I'm wanting to buy one of them and I want to know how well the handsfree bluetooth works between them.

Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amraam View Post
    Hey all,

Does anyone have a JVC AVX44 car stereo and use it with their iPhone 3G? I'm wanting to buy one of them and I want to know how well the handsfree bluetooth works between them.

Thanks!
    I have the JVC AVX-33(an older version of AVX-44) and have no problem connecting to my iPhone 3G. It takes only a couple of seconds for the stereo to find my phone even I've left it in the boot (but I'm driving a MINI so the boot is not that far from the driving seat). Pairing is pretty simple and straight forward.

You can also access the address book, previous calls from the stereo. Music will be muted when the phone call comes in and resumes when you hang up the call. SMS & Call Display will show up in the screen even when your passenger is watching a movie.

Hope this help ...
    Cheers
    Last edited by yamamoto; 02-11-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yamamoto View Post
    I have the JVC AVX-33(an older version of AVX-44) and have no problem connecting to my iPhone 3G. It takes only a couple of seconds for the stereo to find my phone even I've left it in the boot (but I'm driving a MINI so the boot is not that far from the driving seat). Pairing is pretty simple and straight forward.

You can also access the address book, previous calls from the stereo. Music will be muted when the phone call comes in and resumes when you hang up the call. SMS & Call Display will show up in the screen even when your passenger is watching a movie.

Hope this help ...
    Cheers
    Wow so from what you're saying, it will work even better than I could hope for! It shows SMS from the iPhone? OMG, you just cost me nearly 300!

Thanks

Wow so from what you're saying, it will work even better than I could hope for! It shows SMS from the iPhone? OMG, you just cost me nearly 300!
    I'm sorry Amraam. The SMS from iPhone 3G actually doesn't show up in the screen. I've got it mixed up with my HTC Touch. But the JVC is a good head unit afterall. The mic comes with it does a very good job too. Sorry again for the confusion, it was my bad.
    Cheers

Thanks

It's no problem, I thought that it didn't to be honest, you were the first person I spoke to that had experience using them both together, so I got a bit excited

I'm still tempted to get one though!

So overall, you reckon its a pretty good receiver? I hope it is for 285! How well does it work with the iPod features of the iPhone etc? Does it work via USB? Show album art etc?
    Last edited by Amraam; 02-12-2009 at 05:25 AM.

Thanks

Thanks for your understanding. Unfortunately I'm not able to tell you much about the music/video features from iPod/iPhone as I'm not using the stereo that way. My AVX-33 comes with a usb interface and I hook that up with a USB thumb-drive that contains all my songs. It does recognize the MP3 tags (not in non-roman languages though). However there is one thing you may have to consider, which annoys me a lot, before spending the money on it. Whenever you switch sources (like from DVD to USB or from radio to USB), the stereo will scan the entire usb drive/dvd disc before resuming to the previous point in that specific media. It depends on the size of your media and it may take a while. I have only 1gb of songs in my usb & it takes around 10-15 seconds to read. The phone features are good & I've never experienced calls being dropped by BT. I have a couple of pictures of my stereo that can share with you but couldn't figure out how to post them here yet ;( Let me read the forum guides again .......

p.s ok. figured it out now. The first picture is the phone menu in the stereo. And the second picture is the mic position in my MINI. I've found that placing the mic between the gauges gets the best result (it's dead centre of the steering wheel). I tried to route it up the A-pillar but the result was not as good.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JVC AVX44 Car Stereo and iPhone 3G-phone-menu.jpg   JVC AVX44 Car Stereo and iPhone 3G-mic.jpg  
    Last edited by yamamoto; 02-13-2009 at 12:34 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have this deck as well - the Bluetooth handsfree works perfectly, I've never had a problem.

That being said, I've never been able to get Bluetooth audio working. As I understand it, Apple has that ability disabled on the iPhone. Can anyone confirm?

I'm considering an FM transmitter but a bluetooth solution would be SO much better.

Thanks

The iPhone can't do A2DP bluetooth, so audio streaming isn't going to happen. Why not just use the USB iPod cable or a USB stick?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I use a USB stick now. It works fine, but it would be great to be able to consolidate all my music in one place [iPhone] rather than having a separate stick that I have to take out of the car and plug into my computer every time I want to load new music.

The USB iPod cable won't work unless you have the special iPod adapter installed. It will only charge the iPhone 3G, it won't play it.

Thanks

That's a shame. Have you tried plugging it in via USB? Or do JVC just claim it doesn't work? Everywhere says that the only models to charge the iPhone are the new Alpines, but when I was in the local car audio shop, I plugged mine into a Kenwood BT8041U via USB and it played and charged.

If not I can always buy the ipod adapter, or buy a 32GB usb stick.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've tried plugging in - like I said, it does charge, but it won't play. Even if it did play it wouldn't be very useful without the iPod adapter, since the iPhone [and any iPod] stores files completely randomly. It would be like playing it on shuffle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Statikkk View Post
    I've tried plugging in - like I said, it does charge, but it won't play. Even if it did play it wouldn't be very useful without the iPod adapter, since the iPhone [and any iPod] stores files completely randomly. It would be like playing it on shuffle.

That's very strange. Like I say,when I plugged it into Kenwood's BT8041U, it loaded up all the artists/albums/genres etc just fine, no messed up orders.

So does it sound just as good as a USB stick? I'm dubious about the iPod converter compared to USB, even though I use an iPod adapter with my W707 now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The iPhone can't do A2DP bluetooth, so audio streaming isn't going to happen. Why not just use the USB iPod cable or a USB stick?
    Correction, I have an JVC adv49 (same as avx44 but arsenal version with blue touchpad) and I just connected to the stereo a2dp with OS 3.0 downloaded from TPB ;]...Works great. Now I just need to figure out how to get into the head unit's files and add some wallpapers..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi
    I also run 3.0 final now and have just tried stereo streaming with my avx33 - i am a bit disapointed on the sound quality compared to my other phones (n95/e66) - it sounds like very low bitrate/noice. its stereo, but even radio is better...

Also, i can only "play" and "stop" music on the avx33 headunit, cant skip to next song
    (again this works perfect on my nokia's)

Edit: It has no AVRCP, only A2DP profile. Meaning "Track Control" is not available
    What to Expect: Stereo Bluetooth & iPhone 3G with iPhone OS 3.0 | iLounge Article

I realy hope there will be a fix on this soon
    Last edited by fals; 06-14-2009 at 02:20 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to fals For This Useful Post:

Amraam (06-19-2009)