+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone FM Transmitter?

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Well, I hope this is the right place. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any iPod FM Transmitters and using them on the iPhone. I
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iPhone FM Transmitter?
    Well, I hope this is the right place.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any iPod FM Transmitters and using them on the iPhone. I don't want to buy one and have it not work with the iPhone.

For those who don't know what a FM Transmitter is, its a device that usually plugs into the outlet on the bottom off your ipod/iphone, you pick a fm radio station on a little screen or on the screen of the ipod/iphone then turn to that same station on your car's fm radio and you will be able to play your tunes through your car radio.

If anyone has had experience with these, which ones work?

I would like to buy it with my $100 apple dollars

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

when i went to the apple store one of the sales people told me that there isnt any fm transmitters for the iphone that work good...
    mod edit, old signature removed

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhone1118's Avatar
    Thanks

the problem with a FM transmitter is that the iPhone's signal distorts the transmitter's signal and causes bad sound quality, if possible i recommend using a cassette adapter, they're much cheaper and generally tend to work better (at least mine does anyways)
    I am the MacBook Pro

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

I installed a universal 3.5"mm fm modulator in my trailblazer and it works great with my iPhone. The only time I get interference is when a call comes in, but that would happen even if my iPhone wasnt hooked up to my car.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I bought the monster cable iPod fm transmitter at Radioshack and then prmptly returned it for the following reasons:

1.) When I plugged it in the iPhone would tell me it wasn't made for iPhones and aak me if I wanted to go into airplane mode. If I went into airplane mode it would work, but - of course - that meant I couldn't receive calls. If I didn't go into airplane mode it would just play on the iPhones internal speakers as if I'd weren't plugged in.

2.) even when in airplane mode it would suffer from poor sound quality if turned up loud. This may just be because of limitations of FM quality or because the FM band in Boston is so full of radio stations that there wasn't enough free frequency space to allow distortion free playback.

I'm going to wait and try a real iPod integration kit for my car instead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone1118 View Post
    the problem with a FM transmitter is that the iPhone's signal distorts the transmitter's signal and causes bad sound quality, if possible i recommend using a cassette adapter, they're much cheaper and generally tend to work better (at least mine does anyways)
    I have one but the problem is in my '06 jetta it doesnt have a tape player.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    1.) When I plugged it in the iPhone would tell me it wasn't made for iPhones and aak me if I wanted to go into airplane mode. If I went into airplane mode it would work, but - of course - that meant I couldn't receive calls. If I didn't go into airplane mode it would just play on the iPhones internal speakers as if I'd weren't plugged in.
    Same thing for iTrip as per their email to me, they just told me that I can choose no but there will some interference.

Thanks

i got the belkin fm transmitter says does not work with iphone but i click no anyways and it works fine i have no problem with it

Green Apple
    Thanks

FM transmitters are horrible on long road trips as you have to change frequencies frequently.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chibiducky View Post
    FM transmitters are horrible on long road trips as you have to change frequencies frequently.
    that usually depends on the transmitter....my girlfriend has one...a griffin i believe....and it works great..you can set it to play over any station...even most that come in fairly strong...as soon as you power it on the transmitter takes over...on the other hand i got one for 10 bucks on ebay and you have to change the station every so often or the music on the radio would play over it....i have an ipod plug that connects to the cd MediaNet port on my Alpine Cd player....that is so much better....it is crystal clear sound and it even picks up the low frequency sounds that the transmitters did not
    Formerly of modmymoto.com ..now upgraded to 2.1 & jailbroken using quickpwn

RETIRED- Motorola L7 -R4517, RSA removed, EDGE internet browsing, full iPhone skin with 14 icon menu, widget style home icons, Bullfrog iTunes, 1GB storage

Thanks

the transmitter i have has a thing called clear station it picks the clearest station and plays it on that it's awesome perfect sound quality

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yup, I use an FM transmitter on my iPhone too. It's a Kensington Universal FM Transmitter coupled with a Dynex iPhone adapter so the plug will fit ! Couldn't ask for anything better -- sound is perfectly CLEAR ! Bought mine at Walmart. But here's what it looks like:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...20&catid=21262

Thanks

told me the same thing

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

same

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

my problem is you guys are posting you have this and that

model numbers help for those looking for one.. telling me a brand narrows it but its

kinda like saying i got a toyota.. but not what model ya dig?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bleeditout2130's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattlach View Post
    I bought the monster cable iPod fm transmitter at Radioshack and then prmptly returned it for the following reasons:

2.) even when in airplane mode it would suffer from poor sound quality if turned up loud. This may just be because of limitations of FM quality or because the FM band in Boston is so full of radio stations that there wasn't enough free frequency space to allow distortion free playback.

I'm going to wait and try a real iPod integration kit for my car instead.
    I had that cable and it worked pretty good.

The funny thing is it says it's not compatible....but it works! Anyways, I ended up installing a new radio and connecting my iPhone directly. You can't beat that quality.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i've used so many FM transmitter and never had a luck with good decent quality sounds...
    i think i'm just going to buy a cable so i could just hook it up to aux port on my headunit...

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Tape Adapter? (sucks)

FM Trans? (sucks)

Try a blitzsafe connection. They make aftermarket inputs for just about every make and model car I've come across so far.
    Blitzsafe -- Auxiliary Audio Input Interfaces

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I used the TuneBase by Belkin (Part # F8Z183) on a recent road trip. It has ClearScan which allows you to press one button to find the best "station" to use then just tune your radio to that station. No being a big audio buff I would prob spend that much if I was just using an iPod due to the crystal clear sound and not needing to fiddle with it much when going in and out of new citys, but with the iPhone this product just kicks ***. I was able to have my phone positined right up along the dash within easy reach and view so that I could pull up and look at google maps, read the occasional text, and have my bluetooth earpice paired up so that when a call would come in I could glance at my dash, see who it was and press the button on my headset to take the call all without having to touch my stero to adjust the vollume and/or pause the music. Everwhere I went I had crystal clear stero sound and once I had the product situation I never had to mess with it. Plus it comes with many attachments for diffrent iPods as well as some rubber pices to be sure there is a snug fit with ur car.

Thanks

I use a cd player with built on aux. input. Basically a double sided headphone jack that plugs in to phone/iPod while the other side goes to deck. Works great.