+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best Skin Ever: DIY with pics - Flawless Execution

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I decided to write this because I do not like the instructions that came with the skin. There is a better way and we're going to do it here. Pics
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Default Best Skin Ever: DIY with pics - Flawless Execution
    I decided to write this because I do not like the instructions that came with the skin. There is a better way and we're going to do it here.

Pics are dead now, sorry. do exactly as said.

(1)- Turn your iPhone off and clean it with alcohol and a lint free cleaning pad. It dries extremely quickly and removes any oil and dirt.

(2)- Get a credit card with a smooth edge. Run your finger down it to make sure there are no harsh spots where the card was precut from the factory.

(3)- Get a small bowl and fill it half full with hot water to equal about half a cup. Drop one single drop of dish washing liquid in the water and stir it with your finger.

(4)- Take your iPhone and the skin and go into your bathroom. Run the shower on full hot for about 3 minutes until the room is full of steam. dip your fingertips into the soap water bowl and peel the skin off the paper it came on. Set it down sticky side up on the paper and go back to the phone. The air will be moist and start to condense on the sticky side of the skin while you are over prepping the iPhone. Make certain that the moisture content in the room stays high, if this means you must keep the shower going the whole time, then do so.

(5)- Take your finger and dip it into the soap water, shake it once. This will leave just a small amount of water on the tip of your finger. You should have a reasonably high condensation across the iPhone from the steam of the shower. All you are doing is applying the most minimal amount of soap water needed to make the skin slide into place. You are depending completely on the steam for most of the moisture which will allow you to do this without getting water in your iPhone. Rub it across the face of the iPhone all around and you'll notice a very thin layer of soap water is now on the face of the iPhone. THIS IS ALL YOU NEED. It should be a ridiculously small amount of trace water. If you do it this way you'll be able to turn your phone back on almost instantly once you are done rather than waiting 24 hours.

(6)- Immediately set the skin on the face of the iPhone and line it up properly. Pick the phone up and turn it face down while holding it from the back so as the face is visible and accessible as you hold the iPhone at eye level. Gravity will make this work for you from here. Use your credit card to squeegee the skin to the face of the phone and wipe away any excess water at the bottom immediately. Turn it around and squeegee it the other direction and wipe any excess moisture away immediately. There will be very little because you are doing this the proper way with minimal liquid. Use something to remove the moisture that is lint free. You'll see some lint in the photos below where I used a towel to wipe the excess moisture off and it leaves lint residue traces I'll have to wipe off with alcohol later.

(7)- Repeat the prepping procedure for the rear and install the skin with the same minimal liquid and technique so it is properly on the phone.

(8)- Make sure there is no excess moisture and grab your hair dryer. It helps to have a hair dryer that has a "cool" setting so you can go between hot and cold. By alternating hot and cold in 2 minute intervals you can force the skin to dry to the phone and eliminate the possibility of it getting too hot and stretching. You'll find that after about 5 minutes the edges of the skin will start to stick around the corners of the phone.

If at this point you are satisfied that the corners are sticking properly then you are done. If you used the technique for applying minimal liquid, you can turn your phone on immediately as there was virtually no moisture to begin with.

Using this method, you can apply the skin without fearing water damage to your phone!
    Last edited by one1; 02-24-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

dankpod (03-02-2009), Gipson (06-26-2009), gorob (03-04-2008), Houls (09-30-2008), Kristap (03-02-2009), lifted206 (03-22-2009), MaxRabbit (06-11-2009), mzkaye729 (03-03-2008), SAVAGE5 (09-06-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

That's a really good and detailed tut.

Is that an invisible shield? It looks really good.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nice job. Have seen guides before on this subject - yours is very well done ...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thanks for this guide ! Didnt know the shower method works so well for installing the skin ~

Thanks

The lighter the moisture, the less you'll need to apply. The less you apply, the quicker you can turn the phone back on. This way allows you to turn it on instantly because you had no excess water to dry. on a side note, you'll probably never drop your phone with one of these skins on because they feel tacky and are very high grip. A very cool undocumented feature.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Looks good to me...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wow I'm surprised you got the tabs on the back to stick. Nice photos!
     15" Macbook Pro T8300 | 4GB RAM | 200GB
     24" iMac T7700 | 3GB RAM | 320GB
     iPhone 8GB | 2.2 | T-Mobile

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Great guide ! Thanks !!

Thanks

will it work n public bathrooms? lmao jk

Thanks

Great guide, looks really nice. But where do we get these skins you talk of? Link maybe? Something, at least tell me what it's called so i can google it...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MgNate View Post
    Great guide, looks really nice. But where do we get these skins you talk of? Link maybe? Something, at least tell me what it's called so i can google it...
    here is the link http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/StoreFront

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good guide but i really dont think the phone will be harmed by the little water needed to put this skin on. I have done a few iPhones by just dipping (the skin not the phone) with no problems and wouldn't moisture in the air make it easier to get water in the phone? I am in no way bashing your how to, it is very well done and have heard others using the shower as well. Also the hair dryer with hot to cold works great, good tip

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MgNate View Post
    that would be the name of the thread.

iPhone? More like MyPhone straightryder's Avatar
    Thanks

cool, a condom for the iphone.

beat that Black Berry.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

wow, i wish i would've read this thread before i put my skin on. but I think i didn't do that bad of a job compared to your method.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    does the display still works great?
    how do you get it off again. looks really tight

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dementho View Post
    does the display still works great?
    how do you get it off again. looks really tight
    The display works wonderful. I guess you can get it off by force? It's semi-permanent and provides awesome grip.
     15" Macbook Pro T8300 | 4GB RAM | 200GB
     24" iMac T7700 | 3GB RAM | 320GB
     iPhone 8GB | 2.2 | T-Mobile

Thanks

very nice guide, great idea of using shower for moisture.

Thanks

I've ordered another skin for my other iPhone and I'll be shooting video this time on friday for the install.

formerly known as arturpokusin playful_cyanide's Avatar
    Thanks

wow. do you think they have an "iskin" for the iTouch?
    Don't forget to hit
    Get your custom MMi Signature's here!

Join the MMi \/\/AVE experience