+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OEM 3G housings - anyone done this?

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
So I picked up my 16gb iphone from some guy and its a little beat, I want to replace the housing. I have found a company online that sells OEM
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Lightbulb OEM 3G housings - anyone done this?
    So I picked up my 16gb iphone from some guy and its a little beat, I want to replace the housing.

I have found a company online that sells OEM everything for the iphone and others, so I can get the housing but I will need to install myself

Has anyone done this or heard of someone that did?
    What was there experience, and where the parts really OEM?

Here is the link to that company:
    http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-iphone-c-256_557.htm

Cheers

Thanks

well, i heard acouple of cases where people have changed covers on 3G and on first gen iphones....my advice: BE CAREFUL TAKIN IT APART!
    apparently there are pieces attached to both parts of the housing that can be damaged if not careful as i think they are glued on. i would ask "one1" for advice as i believe he has done repairs on these bad boys

hit the thanx button if i helped
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

gixxstar (11-06-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    well, i heard acouple of cases where people have changed covers on 3G and on first gen iphones....my advice: BE CAREFUL TAKIN IT APART!
    apparently there are pieces attached to both parts of the housing that can be damaged if not careful as i think they are glued on. i would ask "one1" for advice as i believe he has done repairs on these bad boys

hit the thanx button if i helped
    Yeah I think those things are the antenna and the display connector, I am not going to even attempt to change it without some major instructions

Thanks for letting me know about that guys handle, I'll PM him and see whats up.

You should taste the instant ramen (noodles) in Japan, I was kinda miffed that they keep all the mad tasty ones for them selves

Banned
    Thanks

dude that place is a rip! 125 for a back PLASTIC cover? lmao!

how bout 25?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Housing-faceplat...1%7C240%3A1318

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post

how bout 25?

Housing faceplate cover Case for Iphone 3G 8GB White - eBay (item 160296806950 end time Dec-04-08 14:48:30 PST)
    It looks like a great price but i couldn't if its OEM, I think it's fake.

Thanks though

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

if you end up doing, set out most of the day to do it and take you time. on the 3g you have to take everytghing out of the old case and transfer it over. 1st gen iphones were cake compared to the 3g's.
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pncntigger For This Useful Post:

gixxstar (11-07-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks for the heads up pncntigger

Does anyone think its worth the money to change the housing?
    Last edited by gixxstar; 11-07-2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

If it's just the back that is scratched, I would advise against this. What about a really nice case for the iPhone? I thought the same thing with a Motorola I had a while back, the keypad had some scratches on it, and I got a new one for like $8.00. I had taken my phones apart before, it had actually become kind of a hobby... But this time around, I bent a very very sensitive flex cable- the one for the touchscreen. So there I was: I had paid $350 for a really sweet touchscreen phone, but I ruined it. I was lucky that I got $75 for it.

I think that there are too many risks and not enough to benefit from. Is there anything actually wrong with the phone (other than some scratches)? And if you must do it, then send it in to someone with experience. Be it a company with a good rep for doing that kinda stuff, or a member on these forums *cough* One1 *cough*.

Also, check out ifixit.com for guides, if you must...
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Imahottguy For This Useful Post:

gixxstar (11-08-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah you make a good point because there is nothing wrong it and it's only a few months old, the guy i bought it from was just a tool and didn't protect the phone.

The worst part is that the glass is scratched, the back has some scratches too. I went to the mac store yesterday and bought a sweet incase and crystal screen protector. It looks a hell of a lot better now.

I was / am just worried about the resale value, as I'm sure the next iphone is just around the corner now that BB released the Storm.

thanks for the feed back.

Thanks

trust me, once the iPhone 3G software unlock becomes available, your phone will be worth its' weight in gold- for a brief time.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

is it possible to install one of these backs on a 2g?
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gixxstar View Post
    Yeah you make a good point because there is nothing wrong it and it's only a few months old, the guy i bought it from was just a tool and didn't protect the phone.

The worst part is that the glass is scratched, the back has some scratches too. I went to the mac store yesterday and bought a sweet incase and crystal screen protector. It looks a hell of a lot better now.

I was / am just worried about the resale value, as I'm sure the next iphone is just around the corner now that BB released the Storm.

thanks for the feed back.
    I have an idea.
    you might think im crazy, But hear me out...

Ive done this on headlights and it actually takes out the deepest scratches..... and if the back is already scratched, you have nothing to lose.....

with car headlights, the material is lexan. Its basically a high grade plastic/plexiglass.
    When you get nics and scratches in headlights you get the headlight kit and sand them and polish them.

My advice is to goto autozone... get a headlight restorer kit .
    it will come with like 5 different grades of sandpaper and polish.
    Follow the directions...You'll lightly sand the case (tape off the apple obviously)

as you sand you'll scratch the case up-
    change grits and eventually at the last grit you will sand to a perfect clear shine!

It actually makes it worse before it gets better.
    But its amazing how it works.

Ive done this on two 2002 jaguars, a lexus sc300 and my own BMW.
    I can't see why it wouldnt work if you go easy and not actually sand through the case.

If its already scratched it can't get any worse right?

At the very least... to goto autozone and just check out the headlamp restoration kit.

If not the kit then -You could even pick up BLUE MAGIC which is a plastic polish that removes light scratches and give that a try.

Just my 2 cents-

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've taken apart many 3g's the 3'gs are cake to take apart compared to the 1st gens...

Thanks

The thing with the sanding technique (which I have heard of when it comes to casings/housings for electronics) is that you have the 'metal' (is it really metal?) apple logo in the center. Wouldn't it look either A) Completely lame if you go over it and take half of the logo off or B) go around it [Good luck with that one] and have uneven polish.

Just my thoughts...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
    is it possible to install one of these backs on a 2g?
    Im interested in installing one of those pink 3G backings on my wifes 2G if it is possible.. n e one1 do this?
    Housing faceplate cover Case for Iphone 3G 8GB Pink on eBay, also, Cell Phone PDA Accessories, Cell Phones PDAs (end time 12-Nov-08 22:10:42 GMT)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    id be scared to.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

how bout 25?

Housing faceplate cover Case for Iphone 3G 8GB White - eBay (item 160296806950 end time Dec-04-08 14:48:30 PST)
    That looks like total crap. You can;t tell me you linked this actually thinking it is the real deal? If so... I have some oceanfront property in Iowa to sell you
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    That looks like total crap. You can;t tell me you linked this actually thinking it is the real deal? If so... I have some oceanfront property in Iowa to sell you
    I just showed that fact that there were cheaper options. I never said I would use them.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I just showed that fact that there were cheaper options. I never said I would use them.
    True, but you did say "How about 25 bucks?" as a response to his 125 which was OEM. This would imply that you have found the same OEM product for only 25 bucks (I am just being nit picky on;t mind me)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Banned
    Thanks

True, but you did say "How about 25 bucks?" as a response to his 125 which was OEM. This would imply that you have found the same OEM product for only 25 bucks (I am just being nit picky on;t mind me)
    Kiss my butt! lol

IP202 iPhone 3G Black Rear Panel, Apple Mac and iPod Accessories

OEM.. 29.95

I dont steal T.I. lines you Swagger Jacker!

I have some oceanfront property in Iowa to sell you
    Last edited by Carrbone; 11-14-2008 at 10:14 PM.