Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OEM 3G housings - anyone done this?

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
    ok then lick my 'you know what'

IP202 iPhone 3G Black Rear Panel, Apple Mac and iPod Accessories

OEM.. 29.95
    I have used them for first-gen back panels.

They are about the cheapest.....however....

Keep in mind these backs are completely BARE.

In other words....the more expensive backs have all the internals already installed....like the camera, buttons, headphone jack, cables and rails.

With these...you gotta swap all that stuff out urself.

Banned
    Thanks

yea but if your taking it part, your taking it apart... shouldnt really matter.. its like 5 more minutes of your time.. I think the extra C note in your pocket is worth the 5 minutes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
    yea but if your taking it part, your taking it apart... shouldnt really matter.. its like 5 more minutes of your time.. I think the extra C note in your pocket is worth the 5 minutes.
    As do I....thats why I get them

But alot of people who arent that "technical" and who really shouldnt be opening up an iphone would benefit from getting the assembled piece. Its very easy to break something. And in my opinion kind of a pain (you know where) to take the back apart.

ok I swaped out the 2G and purchased a 3G iPhone for my wife now... Got it at a good deal cause the screen is cracked, so I need to replace the glass and digitizer.. while I have it open I would like to try to swap out the OEM black housing for one of these pink back housings.
    PINK BACK FULL HOUSING COVER FOR 3G iPHONE 16GB 8GB AU - eBay (item 260327878902 end time Dec-12-08 03:40:00 PST)

How hard is it to do this? Ive taken the 2G apart plenty of times to tinker around with it, swapped out the motherboard, and replaced a battery, but I was too scared to remove the ribbons that appear to be glued to the housing. Is there alot of that going on in the 3G? Or is everything easily removable?
    Last edited by reznor9; 12-09-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    ok I swaped out the 2G and purchased a 3G iPhone for my wife now... I would like to try to use one of these pink back housings.
    PINK BACK FULL HOUSING COVER FOR 3G iPHONE 16GB 8GB AU - eBay (item 260327878902 end time Dec-12-08 03:40:00 PST)

How hard is it to do this? Ive taken the 2G apart plenty of times to tinker around with it, swapped out the motherboard, and replaced a battery, but I was too scared to remove the ribbons that appear to be glued to the housing. Is there alot of that going on in the 3G? Or is everything easily removable?
    Well, the 3g is a different animal....on it you pull the screen assembly off first, and all the internals are "attached" to the rear housing. I dont think its that bad to do, depends on your skill level.

I actually just got done disassembling a 3g I bought for $150 because the LCD was broke, not anything else (digitizer and everything else is working perfect...all tested 100%).

So, got an LCD coming in the mail.....AND a RED rear case that I will be putting on it just because I want it red (the original housing is in perfect shape).

Just dont use the bezel that comes in that kit....as it is plastic, blah.....use the original metal one.
    Last edited by cpjr; 12-09-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Well, the 3g is a different animal....on it you pull the screen assembly off first, and all the internals are "attached" to the rear housing. I dont think its that bad to do, depends on your skill level.

I actually just got done disassembling a 3g I bought for $150 because the LCD was broke, not anything else (digitizer and everything else is working perfect...all tested 100%).

So, got an LCD coming in the mail.....AND a RED rear case that I will be putting on it just because I want it red (the original housing is in perfect shape).

Just dont use the bezel that comes in that kit....as it is plastic, blah.....use the original metal one.
    well my wifes 3G LCD is fine, it still works and is still touch sensitive on all areas but there is a big crack in the corner, so I need to swap out the glass which is attached to the digitizer(luckily these are much cheaper on the 3G $50 as opposed to the screen replacment on the 2G $150)...I watched a video on removal of the screen on a 3G, and it seems MUCH easier than the 2G screen replacement... so Im extremely confident on my ability to change out the screen & digitizer... but Im not sure how hard it is to gut the other side of the phone. As for my skill level??? Ive successfully taken apart the 2G to swap out the motherboard. Which only required removal of the antenna cover, 3 screws on back housing, and 3 screws on motherboard... disconnection of cables, removal of glue on a couple wires and battery... then replace. That was easy. Didnt really worry about breaking anything, it was quite simple. But there were alot of thin ribbons that were glued to the back housing... I was not really sure how to remove or reattach them.. but for what I was doing I didnt need to. So I am asking is there a lot of the same on the 3G? or is it easier? Is everything snapped onto the housing? Glued?
    Last edited by reznor9; 12-09-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks

I think its easier on a 3G....but takes longer. Patience and time is the key.

And for the 2g....yeah it takes a little goo-gone and gritting your teeth....ive swapped cases on those also, and always swapped the internal pieces attached to the case....its not to bad.

A little tip if you ever have to do it.....the biggest pain on a 2g case is the rails, BUT, you dont actually have to use the side rails...only the top rail (as it contains stuff like the simtray port, etc). And its makes it simple and the case fits back perfectly straight and tight.

And by the way...you can get a glass front panel for the 3g way cheaper than $50, unless you need the digitizer too. Even with that I have seen them on ebay for around $30.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    I think its easier on a 3G....but takes longer. Patience and time is the key.

And by the way...you can get a glass front panel for the 3g way cheaper than $50, unless you need the digitizer too. Even with that I have seen them on ebay for around $30.
    Ive seen alot on ebay for around $30-$40 that come with the digitizer and glass, and even the tools to take it apart... I would buy just the glass but I hear its really hard to seperate the digitizer and glass... Ill just spend the extra $10 to get them as one piece.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12