+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Review: Incase Slider for iPhone 3G (gunmetal) + Invisible Shield *Pictures*

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Let me start out by saying that I havent posted here in a long time. But this case inspired me to make a review. Let's start. I read many reviews
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Review: Incase Slider for iPhone 3G (gunmetal) + Invisible Shield *Pictures*
    Let me start out by saying that I havent posted here in a long time. But this case inspired me to make a review. Let's start.

I read many reviews about this case, specifically the matte black version. And I bet you have heard about the peeling paint and so forth, so I decided to buy the gunmetal version at my local Apple Store. Man, the case is top notch! It is machined very well and it doesn't add very much bulk to the iPhone 3G at all.

The gunmetal works very well with the black 3G and it really feels great in your hand. The case is machined very well and the color is flawless. Take a look!

This time around, I opted for the invisible shield for my screen protection. I am not going to mess around, I want the absolute best protection for my iPhone. The case fit perfectly around the invisible shield and it didn't make the shield bubble or lift up at all. Here are some pictures of the fitment of the invisible shield and the slider case.

The invisible shield was $20 at my local best buy and I found out that by installing it in your bathroom, it applies very well. First, turn on your shower and get the room very steamy so all the dust particles in the air settle. Then, install the invisible shield! I have no dust particles trapped underneath and it is a very clean install. The home button is a little off-center but that doesnt bother me.

The texture of the shield feels great! It adds needed grip to the screen without making it feel too grabby and sticky. After a week or so, the texture seen in the pictures will smooth out and it wont have that "orange peel effect".

Trust me, it'll look great if you choose this case/screen protector combo. It keeps the iPhone 3G safe without sacrificing the sexyness of the iPhone. I hope this is useful to somebody!

Neil

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neil1138 For This Useful Post:

BluBrett (11-09-2008), tecpunk64 (04-10-2009)

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

I like the slider cases...and yes, the gunmetal looks great!

Banned
    Thanks

yea they are great....
    My phone was on my lap the other day and I got out of the car... WHOOOSH the phone went flying on the street.
    The Gun Metal Incase actually CRACKED on the corner and got all scratched up!
    HOWEVER my phone didnt get touched in any way at all!
    So it did the JOB VERY WELL!
    Thank GOD!

I picked up a new incase yesterday... I actually went for the rubberized matte Black.
    It has a VERY nice feel compaired to the Gun Metal and the White.
    It feels alot easier to handle and is more secure in my hands.

btw people arent having issues with paint peeling.
    Its a rubberized case and people were having issues with the rubber peeling.

Ne way... Not to trash your invisible sheild you have but it looks very rippled or orange peeled and it doesnt appear to be anti-glare from how it looks in the pictures.

IMO the Power Support anti glare screen protector sold at apple is the best out there.

And I have alittle tip for anyone who uses a CASE on a 3g with a screen protector....

If you notice, when you use cases like these the screen projector is PRONE to have pressure against the edges sometimes causing it to buckle or start to fold up.

The solution:
    Get a screen protector for a 2g! The 3g is actually a tad wider so if you get a 2g specific screen protector it will give you the EXACT amount of room needed around the edges to keep the case from touching the edges and causing it to buckle or fold up.

AND we ALREADY have a thread about these cases in this section of the forum
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/accesso...slider-3g.html
    Last edited by Carrbone; 11-02-2008 at 12:06 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carrbone For This Useful Post:

chazdrums (11-22-2008), jimstr (02-07-2009)

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^^Nice tip on the screen protector....will try if I ever decide to use one. Prolly should, just never have.

Banned
    Thanks

the Power Support anti Glare is a great product...
    Not only does it allow you to view your phone in direct sunlight while protecting the screen from scratches...
    It actually doesnt even allow you to put fingerprints or smudges on the screen at all!
    So the screen stays looking fresh and clean ALL the time!

Apple Store (U.S.) - Power Support Anti-Glare Film Set for iPhone

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carrbone View Post
    yea they are great....
    My phone was on my lap the other day and I got out of the car... WHOOOSH the phone went flying on the street.
    The Gun Metal Incase actually CRACKED on the corner and got all scratched up!
    HOWEVER my phone didnt get touched in any way at all!
    So it did the JOB VERY WELL!
    Thank GOD!

I picked up a new incase yesterday... I actually went for the rubberized matte Black.
    It has a VERY nice feel compaired to the Gun Metal and the White.
    It feels alot easier to handle and is more secure in my hands.

btw people arent having issues with paint peeling.
    Its a rubberized case and people were having issues with the rubber peeling.

Ne way... Not to trash your invisible sheild you have but it looks very rippled or orange peeled and it doesnt appear to be anti-glare from how it looks in the pictures.
    IMO the Power Support anti glare screen protector sold at apple is the best out there.

And I have alittle tip for anyone who uses a CASE on a 3g with a screen protector....

If you notice, when you use cases like these the screen projector is PRONE to have pressure against the edges sometimes causing it to buckle or start to fold up.

The solution:
    Get a screen protector for a 2g! The 3g is actually a tad wider so if you get a 2g specific screen protector it will give you the EXACT amount of room needed around the edges to keep the case from touching the edges and causing it to buckle or fold up.

AND we ALREADY have a thread about these cases in this section of the forum
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/accesso...slider-3g.html
    ok man, you dont have to be a *****. Just cause there is already 1 review, doesnt mean it has the right to be the ONLY review.

And when did I ever say that I have PS anti-glare?? I have the front invisible shield... I said it a lot. And I already said that the invisible shield has orange peel effect. it is a damn gel like skin, NOT a plastic film. Its like a skin and the orange peel will go away after a week or so. Its a common problem, nothing new.

And that other incase thread is just a thread full of why people like the case... not a review thread. I thought i was doing a good thing by submitting a decent review with pictures and everything. So you dont have to be a complete ***.

And about using a 2G screen protector... I dont see why you would need to do that. You can see my pictures. The invisible shield fits perfectly with the incase slider, thats what my review was for. And IMO, the PS anti-glare looks better yeah. BUT the invisible shield is definitely better protection.
    Last edited by Neil1138; 11-02-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: clarity

Banned
    Thanks

Nothing I said was in any way being an *****.

No kidding you have the invisible shield.
    I was stating that its NOT anti-glare. which is terrible.
    To have to wait a week for the glue to set is sad.
    The glue should set in minutes not days.

How do you figure the protection is any better? If it protects the screen, then it protects the screen. Period. There is a degree of protection. It either works or it doesnt.

Its not like the invisible shield is different or it is so thick its going to prevent cracking If u say sit on the thing.

If your gonna write a review- atleast have the balls to accept criticism.
    Last edited by Carrbone; 11-02-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: SPC

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

No kidding you have the invisible shield.
    I was stating that its NOT anti-glare. which is terrible.

How do you figure the protection is any better? If it protects the screen, then it protects the screen. Period. There is a degree of protection. It either works or it doesnt.

Its not like the invisible shield is different or it is so thick its going to prevent cracking If u say sit on the thing.

If your gonna write a review- atleast have the balls to accept criticism.
    i like my non-anti-glare screen protector on my 3g as much as i did the anti-glare on my 2g. it's personal preference. you don't have to like what he's using

OP. thanks for the review. i also use the incase gunmetal and LOVE it and i hate they keep coming out with new colors...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

invisible shield is an adhesive based screen protector. The anti-glare is static cling. So it obviously doesn't use adhesive which obviously doesn't have to dry. Again, the invisible shield is a gel like skin... The anti-glare is a thin plastic film.

It looks nicer, but I don't think it protects better. Invisible shield makes entire iPhone body shields. And I think it's safe to say that they are right up there with body guards and stuff. I will buy an anti-glare if my invisible shield fails me but I don't think that will be anytime soon. After all, invisible shield has a lifetime warranty. Cheers

Banned
    Thanks

the anti-glare isnt a static cling. There is adhesive on it.

I also understand the invisible sheild is like a gel skin, doesnt make it better- Just thicker-
    Do you think that the glue that takes a week to dry is going to help in protecting the screen better somehow?
    That its going to last 10 years instead of 2?
    Lifetime warranty? Thats a sales pitch that you bought into.
    Who even owns there phone for more then a 2 year period at the MOST.
    If anything, Id be worried that when the time comes to remove it the gel, glue, skin whatever-doesnt BOND with the screen overtime due to heat.

Look-it stops scratches, smudges, etc.. they all do. One no better then the next.

Its not going to stop the screen from cracking-
    and I keep saying that cause it isnt going to provide any More protection than any other screen protector out there.

how can it possibly protect Better? Better how?
    Its like a light switch. Its either On or its OFF.
    It either works or it doesnt.
    There arent levels of protection.
    It protects or it doesnt.

If it had more features I could understand. Like UV protection, or something like that.
    But there all the same as far as protection.

The only real differences between each screen protector is the finish. Some have a textured surface, others are smooth. Some are shiny and some are Matte.

Do you understand my point that Im making?
    Last edited by Carrbone; 11-03-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks

Thank You! This is exactly what i was looking for! If you get this message, could you tell me how the case is holding up?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluBrett View Post
    Thank You! This is exactly what i was looking for! If you get this message, could you tell me how the case is holding up?
    The cases are the best out there!

I myself am on my 3rd.

I had the gunmetal (pictured above)
    Dropped my phone from my waist getting out the car and it flew accross the pavement for about 5 feet.

The case itself got cracked on the corner by the volume buttons and all scratched up.

My phone didnt have a mark on it!

Then i bought the rubberize flat black and now since I have a White 16gb I purchased the White one two days ago.

These cases fit like none other and provide great protection-

Recently they came out with a whole metalic color line...

check them out...
    IPhone 3G Incase Product

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Carrbone For This Useful Post:

BluBrett (11-15-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrsidewayzz's Avatar
    Thanks

I love incase for all of their stuff. I have a rubber case 4 my 2G and a carry bag for my macbook. Very high quality stuff.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Not sure what screen you are talking about but my zagg took 15 minutes to set..

Protection is better because you won't get any scratches on the screen at all (I include the actual screen film in this definition)... if it does scratch it just "molds" back to normal after a few minutes. Yes is has orange peel. If it bothers you it is not the protector for you. However, it does not make it innately BAD or worse than your preference.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Not sure what screen you are talking about but my zagg took 15 minutes to set..

Protection is better because you won't get any scratches on the screen at all (I include the actual screen film in this definition)... if it does scratch it just "molds" back to normal after a few minutes. Yes is has orange peel. If it bothers you it is not the protector for you. However, it does not make it innately BAD or worse than your preference.
    You seem to mis understand-

I understand its a gel, it just 'bends' when scratched..

You wont get any scratches on the screen at all no mattery what screen protector u use.

Thats why its called a screen protector-

It shouldnt have orange peel.
    That just goes to show you how poorly it was designed.
    Its a screen.
    Visual Clarity should be TOP priority when designing it

I never said it didnt provide protection, Im just arguing the fact that it provides the same protection as the rest.
    No more , no less.

if anything the Steinheil provides more protection due to its Anti-UV ray coating.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BluBrett View Post
    hey man. The case is holding up very well. It doesnt scratch hardly at all and the screen protector has smoothed out. I still would recommend it to anyone. I take the case off about every 4 days to clean the phone and get all the dust out. NO scratches at all on the phone. The rubber rails do their jobs perfectly.

To the guy that has an obvious hate against Invisible Shields, calm down. It seems like you are the only person here that thinks the anti-glare offers better protection! I know it looks better, but the invisible shield is stronger and holds up better because it is thicker and more resilient. Ok thanks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Neil1138 For This Useful Post:

BluBrett (11-15-2008)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neil1138 View Post

To the guy that has an obvious hate against Invisible Shields, calm down. It seems like you are the only person here that thinks the anti-glare offers better protection! I know it looks better, but the invisible shield is stronger and holds up better because it is thicker and more resilient. Ok thanks
    you just have no comprehension-

ur inivisible shield btw..." The ultra-thin film is only 0.2 mm thick"
    and has no uv-protection

The only thing good about the invisible sheild is the lifetime warranty but who even owns their device more then 2 years away-

Its over priced saran wrap-

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what!? first off, why do you keep talking about UV protection? why the hell would I care for UV protection??? Its a glass screen... I dont see what UV protection is gunno do. And second, the lifetime warranty is for other stuff other than time... If it scratches, breaks, ect. Its replaced. I had a PS crystal film for my 2G iphone and the film scratched, it wasnt replaced b/c the warranty didnt cover it. With Invisible shield, damage is covered. So that to me is worth the extra premium.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    looks really good!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

You seem to mis understand-

I understand its a gel, it just 'bends' when scratched..

You wont get any scratches on the screen at all no mattery what screen protector u use.

Thats why its called a screen protector-

It shouldnt have orange peel.
    That just goes to show you how poorly it was designed.
    Its a screen.
    Visual Clarity should be TOP priority when designing it

I never said it didnt provide protection, Im just arguing the fact that it provides the same protection as the rest.
    No more , no less.

if anything the Steinheil provides more protection due to its Anti-UV ray coating.
    I dont misunderstand. I consider it better protection if the protector itself doesn't easily take damage, thus I don;t have to replace it as often as I did my other screen protectors. In fact I have had it for 3 months now and before that I went through about 6 other screen protectors. In YOUR opinion, the screen protector should provide clarity. In my opinion it does too... so I see some orange peel when the screen is OFF, unless you are looking at an angle when it is ON you don't see any orange peel anyway. Really the negative of this shield while the screen is on is that it provides no anti-glare. And again, it is comforting to know that if it gets slid across the table on its face by one of my idiot friends I don't have to buy yet another overpriced cut piece of plastic to stick onto my screen. I have spent less money on the one shield (which I can get replaced free of charge but I have not yet had to) over the three months of having it than I did on the plethora of shields I have had before the zagg.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings