+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g Cracked Screen

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Does anyone know where I can purchase a screen for my 3g that i dropped and shattered? Every function works fine just needs a new outter screen. I searched online
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default 3g Cracked Screen
    Does anyone know where I can purchase a screen for my 3g that i dropped and shattered? Every function works fine just needs a new outter screen. I searched online and all that is coming up is replacements for $200.00 I can buy a brand new phone for that price so how does that make sense?!?? Thanks in advance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well, actually you CAN'T get a new phone for 200. The iPhone costs 500. You only get it for 200 when you set up a new contract with AT&T, which you won't be doing to replace this screen. The price has actually come down on replacement screens since last year. The original iPhone had replacement screens for 250.

You should be able to send it to Apple for repair. I wonder if AppleCare covers it?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

is it just the glass that needs replacing? I saw a link somewhere on here (MMI) for a screen (glass piece ONLY) for 15 bucks. That's a better price. I will see if I can track it down.

EDIT: here is an eBay link to buy just the glass screen (again this is NOT an LCD but if all that is broken it should do you fine!)

LCD Glass Screen Lens + Protector for Apple iPhone 2G - eBay (item 110290802582 end time Oct-18-08 07:15:11 PDT)

I know it does say 2G but I do belive the screens on both phones are the same size so it shouldn't make much of a difference.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 10-06-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chefanim's Avatar
    Thanks

Be careful with those ones for cheap on eBay, including the one in sziklassy's post. Those are made of PLASTIC, NOT GLASS. Cheap replacement are cheap for a reason. not to mention, that there is a good possibility of messing up the digitizer in the process. I would send it in for repair through Apple or a 3rd party repair company. iPhone Problems & Repair

Its not going to be cheap, but if you want it done right, you'll have to pay
    So long, and thanks for all the fish

Thanks

Only reason I posted this was because I heard success from another poster here. I personally recommended against it but they went ahead and did it and it worked fine. And this thing actually is glass (from what he tells me). Chef is right though... I do recommend getting it done elsewhere. You may also consider just selling off your phone as having a cracked screen and then going to apple and buying a new one. I would guess you will get about 300 for the broekn phone and buy a new on for about 500. The difference would be just about what you would pay for a professional fix but the bright side is new phone

In any case your call... let us know what you do and how things turn out!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

according to the listing on eBay, the screen is made of plastic..... if you do decide to fix it yourself, post up your results and pictures for those of us who arent brave enough to take apart our jesus phones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chefanim View Post
    according to the listing on eBay, the screen is made of plastic.....
    The guy who bought it says the screen is glass with a plastic sticker cover thing. If you read the entire listing you will see it has many grammatical errors. My guess is that this is a Chinese company (well duh, they are shipping from HK, LOL) and they are just selling cheap product fast. In any case, I doubt it is an Apple product, in fact I would almost bet my life that it is not. That being said, even if it is plastic you are out 15 bucks and at least now you know. If you are totally ready to do this yourself I would try for the one on eBay and if it turns out plastic go for the $200 replacement.

And by the way, in no way shape or form are you getting $200 bucks worth of glass here, which is why I believe this company can totally afford to make a legitimate glass screen for 15 bucks.

Thanks

I was going by this:

iPhone? More like MyPhone JK1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    is it just the glass that needs replacing? I saw a link somewhere on here (MMI) for a screen (glass piece ONLY) for 15 bucks. That's a better price. I will see if I can track it down.

EDIT: here is an eBay link to buy just the glass screen (again this is NOT an LCD but if all that is broken it should do you fine!)

LCD Glass Screen Lens + Protector for Apple iPhone 2G - eBay (item 110290802582 end time Oct-18-08 07:15:11 PDT)

I know it does say 2G but I do belive the screens on both phones are the same size so it shouldn't make much of a difference.
    Dont buy this. sorry but your wrong the screen sizes are very different the 3g is wider by about 3-4 MM and slightly longer glass though the display is the same and its 2 piece.

You can buy Just the Glass at eazychip.com if thats the only part thats not working.

I broke my 3G glass before too.
    Who uses signatures these days???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by famous2hot View Post
    Does anyone know where I can purchase a screen for my 3g that i dropped and shattered? Every function works fine just needs a new outter screen. I searched online and all that is coming up is replacements for $200.00 I can buy a brand new phone for that price so how does that make sense?!?? Thanks in advance.
    This just happened to me. I dropped my phone in a restaurant and the glass got all cracked and spider webbed. I ended up replacing the glass and digitizer myself for around $80 after shipping and getting a pry tool. Due to the lack of information out there, I ended up creating site to help tell other iPhone 3G users how to go about repairing their phone and how much it will cost. Im going to post pictures and a video tutorial soon. Hope it helps!
    Cracked or Broken iPhone 3G Glass? | 3G Cracked Glass.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tdupree For This Useful Post:

jpollak92 (11-18-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

if the actual screen is cracked then, try to argue w/ apple.

if just the outer shell is cracked, then i suggest u go to dealextreme.com and they have some OEM parts for iphone 2g & 3g.