Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Aux input + Suburban + Iphone = Cool!

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Default Aux input + Suburban + Iphone = Cool!
    Ok, so I was bound and determined to be able to use my 3g Iphone for music enjoyment in my 05 Z71 Suburban.

The FM Transmitters...if they will work at all with the 3g, sound awful. Some cars now come standard with an aux input on the radio to allow you to plug an outside audio device to the car for use with the car's sound system. The new Suburbans have this....but mine (2005) doesnt

So, a little lookin around, I found an aux audio input device which is basically a wiring harness/mess with a box that has RCA audio jacks on it. Hmmmm I said.

Ordered one, proceeded to take my dash apart (that was fun) and wire that beast up....very interesting when your vehicle is equipped with both a factory XM receiver and DVD system (apparently makes things much more difficult). After alot of cussing and some sweat I got the thing wired up and before putting my dash back together proceeded to test....

Works perfect! Sound is crystal clear, like im listening to the radio

So then I decided I wanted the input jacks to look as factory as possible (I hate hacked install jobs) so I did some dash modding and actually did away with the module itself in favor of just using the circuitboard, thus allowing me to install it directly behind the dash.

End product, aux input that looks factory and sounds great! Take a look, I wish I took pics along the way...but this was an afterthought, so I only have a pic of the finished product:

EDIT: I also found out that I can take a call....the other caller is pushed to the cars speakers (obviously since I am using the headphone jack) and the cool part is....with the phone sitting in my lap I can speak outloud and the other caller hears me just fine!
    Last edited by cpjr; 09-27-2008 at 09:22 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Thats awsome, and it looks very professional too! I dont have the balls to take my dash apart, so kudos for that feat!
    Perhaps I should muster the strength to go in and make my set up look/sound better. I'll ponder/research this for a while so that I dont make a bad decision!
    Last edited by Grassmasta; 09-23-2008 at 09:55 PM.
    Viruses
    Intruders
    Spyware
    Trojans and
    Adware

Windows Vista

Thanks

Hahaha, its not that bad...biggest thing is not rushing. And for me, when I start cussing I will usually walk away for a minute

Thanks.

That must be very cool...

Thanks

on a scale of 1 - 10, how hard do you think this would be? I want to do it, but I doubt I have the heart to tear apart my cars stereo system.

Thanks

Nice! I have an 07 Suburban and it has an aux jack that I use with a belkin cord. Sounds as good as my XM or DVD/CD out of the Bose speakers.

In our older vehicles, I have used a cassette adapter (agree the FM modulators are not the greatest) . Which reminds me, my otehr half is getting a new car tonight and I'm inheriting a 1988 M5 so i dont have to drive a truck all the time (need it for towing the rrace car). Have to figure out how I'm going to use the iphone. Its got an Alpine HU with Sirius radio but no cassette. I dont think any of the ipod adapters available for it but I have to check.

Ah, something else to mod.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

I have an aux input on my car stereo as well. FM transmitters are crap.

Looks cool. Where did you order it from? How does it hook into your existing stereo?

On my truck, I just updated the whole head unit and got one that has an aux input. It even has an Ipod hook up, but I couldn't stand seeing my song info on 3 dot-matrix style lines so I abandoned the Ipod cable and just use the aux input.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

great job on the install and write up. looks fantastic. i was looking into that as well as i drive an 04 scion xb and it doesnt come factory with that but the newer ones have it not fair! all in all; excellent job!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    on a scale of 1 - 10, how hard do you think this would be? I want to do it, but I doubt I have the heart to tear apart my cars stereo system.
    Well for me maybe 6....but I have done this type of stuff alot. To me pulling everything apart wasnt bad, most of the wiring was easy...the thing that teased my nerves was finding a good local for a 12v constant positive and a good ground. And the fact that both those wires are about 6in long which is good for nothing, you have to splice more wire in to do anything. Also, with the added wiring harness and all that is incorporated into it....it was kinda a pain to make it fit in the dash behind the stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by thehotrod View Post
    Looks cool. Where did you order it from? How does it hook into your existing stereo?
    Got it here: Installer.com - Stereo and alarm - Ipod integration, wires, tools, kits, do it yourself parts, wire harnesses, radio kits car auxiliary stereo for automotive

Best prices I could find...searched around a bit. And they have alot of stuff for different makes/models.

It basically has a wiring harness on it, you plug the harness into your factory radio (unplug factory harness)...then plug factory harness into it, plug harness into the module itself....and you have a power (positive) wire and ground wire to install wherever you can find fit.

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    Nice! I have an 07 Suburban and it has an aux jack that I use with a belkin cord. Sounds as good as my XM or DVD/CD out of the Bose speakers.

In our older vehicles, I have used a cassette adapter (agree the FM modulators are not the greatest) . Which reminds me, my otehr half is getting a new car tonight and I'm inheriting a 1988 M5 so i dont have to drive a truck all the time (need it for towing the rrace car). Have to figure out how I'm going to use the iphone. Its got an Alpine HU with Sirius radio but no cassette. I dont think any of the ipod adapters available for it but I have to check.

Ah, something else to mod.
    Hahaha, yeah I also like this module because it uses RCA inputs, so I have a cable from walmart ($4) that has the two RCA Audio outputs on 1 end....and a headphone jack on the other. Plug into the iphone headphone jack and crank up the music. Or plug anything into it.
    Last edited by cpjr; 09-24-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost