+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WARNING: CaseMate "Screen Protection Kit" for iPhone 3G

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
This is a warning to anyone who is considering buying the iPhone 3G. It's not the phone, it is screen protectors that AT&T pushes you to buy. I bought the
    Thanks

Thumbs down WARNING: CaseMate "Screen Protection Kit" for iPhone 3G
    This is a warning to anyone who is considering buying the iPhone 3G. It's not the phone, it is screen protectors that AT&T pushes you to buy. I bought the CaseMate Screen Protection Kit for iPhone 3G, thinking that since AT&T was selling it, it would be good. I could not have been more wrong. They are just terrible, they have a large hole for the earpiece and home button. The POS doesn't even center over the Home Button properly.

Heed this warning! Do NOT buy these. Since the 3G and 1st Gen have the same size screen, any screen protector will do. Yes, I know that the proximity sensors have moved, but they really aren't affected, as most screen protectors don't have cut outs for them.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

+1. I wish i would have read this before i bought these horrible screen protectors as well

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

they got me with that crap really sucks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I hope to god this is true. I picked up a $0.01 screen guard from amazon to hold me over until I can afford something better, and I was assuming it would be slightly smaller than the 3G. I haven't yet received my phone yet... I'm order 70, 1-69 has been shipped and 70-85 have been shipped and I'm about to go atomic.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Heh, I got here via Google on the Case-Mate protectors, looking to buy a pack of these protectors for a friend -- because I like mine just fine.

I needed a practice application, i.e., I wasted one of the three in the pack, in order to get the alignment right. I've had the second one on my iPhone for a week, and it's really hard to tell it's there. The only way to tell with close inspection is by the slight alignment imperfection of the home button and speaker cutouts. That almost imperceptible misalignment is from my application, not the product.

I keep my phone in a pocket which also contains keys, so I'm glad to have the scratch protection.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    This is a warning to anyone who is considering buying the iPhone 3G. It's not the phone, it is screen protectors that AT&T pushes you to buy. I bought the CaseMate Screen Protection Kit for iPhone 3G, thinking that since AT&T was selling it, it would be good. I could not have been more wrong. They are just terrible, they have a large hole for the earpiece and home button. The POS doesn't even center over the Home Button properly.

Heed this warning! Do NOT buy these. Since the 3G and 1st Gen have the same size screen, any screen protector will do. Yes, I know that the proximity sensors have moved, but they really aren't affected, as most screen protectors don't have cut outs for them.
    While I do not doubt these likely suck based on others reviews, the 3G and 2g phones do NOT have the same size screen.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    While I do not doubt these likely suck based on others reviews, the 3G and 2g phones do NOT have the same size screen.

yea and if your having problems with your case on your 3g pushing up on the sides of your screen protector causing it to bubble...

Just get a 2g screen protector on your 3g and it will give you more room around the edges since the 3g is wider then the 2g.

Also... why get anything at ATT? they dont know anything about the Iphone they just sell it- same goes for bestbuy...

Goto Apple.
    You just learned your lesson.

Green Apple
    Thanks

apple pushed me to buy the power support one which is the best protector i have used so far!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CMPLX View Post
    apple pushed me to buy the power support one which is the best protector i have used so far!
    I thought so too until I switched to SGP's

a lot clearer and whole lot easier to slide your finger accross

Im waiting for More-thing.com's mirror screen protector with my case though.
    I hear its extremely visually clear and smooth to the touch and slide so I might have to switch over

Green Apple
    Thanks

InCase Slider Case + Power Support AntiGlareFilm for iPhone 3G = Heaven!

Thanks

I completely disagree. I bought a 3 pack of these at ATT when I got my new phone a few weeks ago and they work great... couldn't be happier

You are correct, the home button hole doesn't line up perfect, nor does the speaker hole (it's close, don't get me wrong, but its certainly not precision laser cut either).

You cannot tell it's installed, it feels just like the original screen (actually, slicker which is nice), reacts to touch the as if the screen wasn't even there and most importantly, protects it from keys, change and other stuff that can hurt it.

Thanks

^^^ You must have gotten one of the 'good' sets. Perhaps other members, as well as myself, purchased defective sets. I highly doubt this though.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Green Apple
    Thanks

i got a set, just to have a set to hold me over until i got around to purchasing something else.i have an incase slider and the screen protector bubbles up around the edges with no way to flatten them down..i think once i've gone through the last one, i'll head out to the apple store

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    ^^^ You must have gotten one of the 'good' sets. Perhaps other members, as well as myself, purchased defective sets. I highly doubt this though.
    that's competely possible. Mine isn't showing any bubbling around the edges like some people have mentioned either, but there is a small 1.5mm bubble in the center of the screen where a piece of dust wasn't cleaned off. Something else I just noticed too, the hole for the home button is round, not "u" slotted like the ones I've seen for sale online.

perhaps they've revised the design or something?