Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WHY???? 3G iPhone = Not Compatible with anything!!!!

Default WHY???? 3G iPhone = Not Compatible with anything!!!!
    So I loved my first gen iPhone, and don't get me wrong love my 3G one but seriously nothing works anymore. iHome plays music but won't charge, car kit plays music but won't charge. I am grateful that it still plays the music, but just really wish it still charged it as well. You think they will make any type of adapter that you can add on to these devices (mainly car kit). Any way just wanted to vent.

This is why I'm returning my 3G iPhone.... Battery life and signal strength suck, but great sound quality and speaker, but if I can't charge it while I'm playing music with my cars built in ipod adapter then sorry I have to go back to my first gen...
    8gb 2G iPhone 2.1 (Pwned)

got the exact same problem,

Have a cheap Logik Clock Radio which I've used to charge past ipod's and my orginal iphone and can also play music through.

with my 3g iphone, it just doesn't want to know.

plugged in my FM adaptor in the car same problem...........very disapointing.

The joys of Apples new technologies = not backward compatible with devices.

Now 3rd party vendors can get another sale out of people

The old iPhone had support for the now "legacy" circuitry which supported firewire charging. Most chargers took advantage of firewire charging for some unknown reason. Firewire has been abandoned in the new one most likely because no one actually buys the separate cord just to charge it, they most likely didn't do it to screw over accessory makers

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty778 For This Useful Post:

jwcrash (07-13-2008), Slapster (07-23-2008)

Default Au revoir Firewire!
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty778 View Post
    The old iPhone had support for the now "legacy" circuitry which supported firewire charging. Most chargers took advantage of firewire charging for some unknown reason. Firewire has been abandoned in the new one most likely because no one actually buys the separate cord just to charge it, they most likely didn't do it to screw over accessory makers
    ^^^ Bingo. Firewire's gone in 3G.

Glad I didn't trade up...my car's USA SPEC charger/stereo integrator is a huge part of my iPhone's usage. And I use an iHome occasionally to charge my unit on vacation.

PLEASE click everyone's "Thanks" buttons...they are begging for it.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

i hope someone comes out with a adapter of somesort to beable to use our old chargers and accesories. i heard that it doesn't charge with most aftermarket headunit ipod cables, that sux. this might be my biggest turn off for upgrading!

This is the dumbest sh#t ever. So many down sides now. I have a 3g and I just wanna smash this thing. They better come out with an adapter and it better be cheap. Not no 30-40$ crap

Does seem like a real lame way to do things...

iPhone? More like MyPhone fletch33's Avatar
    Thanks

i was actually hoping that if they were going to make changes like this then they would go ahead and change the giant prehistoric sized adapter all together. its huge and unnecessary. they are going to have to eventually update that old huge adapter and the 3G would have been a great start.

how nice would it be if they would just go mini/micro usb like the rest of the world

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So far my accessories that work...
    Pioneer Auto CD Deck (did not work with 1st Gen)
    Home carger that I got at walmart called a MusicDuo has 2 usb ports on the top
    HCT Branded Ipod Dock Stereo
    Belkin car Charger
    Car Charger from MonoPrice.com
    Plantronics 220 Bluetooth
    Hopefully more to come!

Anyone know about the harmon kardon drive & play? wither it being able to work with the 3g iphone?
    30+ Apps Installed And Going
    1.1.4 8GB Iphone
    Jailbraked using Ziphone !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gripdis View Post
    Anyone know about the harmon kardon drive & play? wither it being able to work with the 3g iphone?
    it will control it and play the music, but it will not charge it.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch33 View Post
    i was actually hoping that if they were going to make changes like this then they would go ahead and change the giant prehistoric sized adapter all together. its huge and unnecessary. they are going to have to eventually update that old huge adapter and the 3G would have been a great start.

how nice would it be if they would just go mini/micro usb like the rest of the world
    No way, too many accessories built for it plus I can guarantee you apples 30 pin connector is faster than any mico usb port is
    Last edited by rusty778; 07-14-2008 at 07:29 PM.

I wish my car adapter would play music, I could live without it charging. Mine just does nothing...

Trust me , adapter are coming. My Kenwood headunit plays music, but won't charge my 3G. for those of you that have aftermarket stereos and use the dock connector, this is the only solution I have found so far. It's from kensington, has a pass through dock connector.

Thanks

Like I mentioned before my Pioneer deck in my car works great! It did not work on the first gen but works with the 3G
    iPhone 3g 8GB; iPhone 3GS 32GB

Basically anything that isn't USB based won't work.

To answer the original question...

Maybe, just maybe, it's because the phone just came out like a week ago!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast