+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone AV Cable

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
hmm... okay. i wonder if it's an issue with the version of 2.0 i have or if there's something wrong with the cable. not really sure how to tell w/o
    Livin the iPhone Life billchase2's Avatar
    Thanks

hmm... okay. i wonder if it's an issue with the version of 2.0 i have or if there's something wrong with the cable. not really sure how to tell w/o installing a different firmware.

i do know that it never pops up the window that asks if i want to display the video on the TV. sometimes it asks to be put in airplane mode... but that's it.

UPDATE: i kind of got it working... but not so much. after restarting my iphone, if i plug it in, it works perfectly. i get video and audio. however, after a couple of minutes, my iphone pops up that stupid warning saying that an unknown device is plugged into it and it asks if i want to put it into airplane mode. this is what's screwing it up. once that message is displayed, i no longer get any video out. i have to restart my iphone to get it working again... but then the same thing happens.

so, to fix this... the only option i can think of is to disable that message somehow. is there a way to do that? or do you guys have any other ideas for me?
    Last edited by billchase2; 07-14-2008 at 01:46 PM.
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have the same problem. It works for two minutes and then display a mesage "This device is not designed to work with IPhone" --> No Video OUT from that point on.
    Looks like it's a 2.0 update problem.

Does anyone has a workaroung (do i need to jailbrake my iphone 2.0 to disable this message?)

Thanks to all

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Could be the 2.0 software, but unlikely I would think. The J/B for 2.0 is not out yet.

Played with the cable some more...As soon as I hit play on the video, it asks the 'Display on TV' question. Answering yes and it immediately shows on the screen.

No 'This device is not designed......' message after 15 minutes.

FWIW, the one I linked in my earlier post is still on sale at HHI.

Do you get the 'This device is not designed.....' when you don't use the cable?

I've gone through some times where I'll get it constantly for days, and then not at all for days/weeks. Knocking wood...it's not doing it now. Whenever I start getting the error, I clean the contacts on the connecter thoroughly (and usually find dust/lint/gunk). I usually use a toothpick with the end dipped in alcohol (but that's me, think twice before you do it!). I sometimes think it may have something to do with software (specifically some of the apps I've used/loaded), but that's tough to troubleshoot.

HTH.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info HTH.

My cable looks just like the one from the HandHeldItems.com.
    The funny thing is they already sent me a second one ('cuse I thought that the first one was just defective).
    It doesn't work with my DOCK at all. The only way to make it work is to plug it ino my iphone in the locked mode and unlock it with cable connected to turned on TV. Thet when I hit play in itunes it starts playing video on TV (no 'Display on TV' question whatsoever).
    I will try to see if I have dust and dirt in my connectors though.

Thanks

mine doesn't work with the dock at all either... but i'm not too worried about that at this point in time. i just want to get rid of that stupid message that screws up the video.

i've also never gotten the "display on tv" message. it just does it. (well, initially until it screws up, of course)
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    billchase, did you try to clean your iphone dock connector and pluggin in again,

also could you list all the apps you've installed so far, we can compare and see if any of them screw it up?
    Here is what I've got:

Arcade.ipa
    Aurora Feint.ipa
    BoxOffice.ipa
    Bubbles.ipa
    CheckPlease.ipa
    Currency.ipa
    Dial Zero.ipa
    eBay.ipa
    Evernote 1.ipa
    Evernote.ipa
    Google.ipa
    HoldEm.ipa
    iPint.ipa
    JirboBreak.ipa
    Light.ipa
    LocalPicks.ipa
    Moonlight Mahjong Lite.ipa
    Morocco.ipa
    NYTimes 1.ipa
    NYTimes.ipa
    PageOnce.ipa
    PhoneSaber.ipa
    Pocketpedia.ipa
    reQall.ipa
    Shazam.ipa
    Spanish.ipa
    Spinner.ipa
    TapTap.ipa
    Truphone.ipa
    WeatherBug.ipa
    WritingPad.ipa
    YPmobile.ipa

7. The Following User Says Thank You to akreston For This Useful Post:

0434787701 (01-06-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow, thats sounds great. I never wanted to shell out that much money for the wire, though it could be pretty useful. Thanks for the tip.
    It's only impossible if you quit.

Thanks

i've got a whole bunch of apps installed, but i doubt that's the problem. i'm wondering if it's the 2.0 firmware.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    OK. I think I've had enough of it.
    I cleaned the dock connector, same issue.

I am packing both of the stpid cables and shipping them back.
    I wrote a negative review on wirester.com about this cable twice but they do not post it (I think they, like many others, censor negative reviews).

In any case, looks like it is much much cheaper and easier to burn DVD's with movies I want to watch on a big screen then buying a $50 WIRE (plus I would have to pay another $50 for the IPhone remote, 'cause without it it makes no sense to watch videos from IPhone) and with my video editing suite making DVDs is a piece of cake, plus You get to keep the DVD copy for yourself.
    Think about it PPL.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akreston View Post
    OK. I think I've had enough of it.
    I cleaned the dock connector, same issue.

I am packing both of the stpid cables and shipping them back.
    I wrote a negative review on wirester.com about this cable twice but they do not post it (I think they, like many others, censor negative reviews).

In any case, looks like it is much much cheaper and easier to burn DVD's with movies I want to watch on a big screen then buying a $50 WIRE (plus I would have to pay another $50 for the IPhone remote, 'cause without it it makes no sense to watch videos from IPhone) and with my video editing suite making DVDs is a piece of cake, plus You get to keep the DVD copy for yourself.
    Think about it PPL.
    probably not a bad choice. over the weekend, i restored and pwned 2.0. this time, i used the official version of 2.0, rather than the one that was leaked a day early. i haven't tried using the AV cable since, but will tonight. hopefully that did something. if not, since it is jailbroken, perhaps someone will come up with an app that disables that message.

i have requested that such an app be made here:
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/3rd-par...e-message.html
    Last edited by billchase2; 07-22-2008 at 09:17 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Emir S.'s Avatar
    Thanks

If any of you need the original iPhone AV cable, I have posted mine in the "Buy & Sell" forum.

ON
    I'd sad to see that Apple has once again stopped the use of a 3rd party Video cable for the iPhone, with the use of software this time.

It's beyond greedy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    iPhone Video Out capable with Apple’s Component Cables - Gadgetell

have a look at this to know more about the cable

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok, I've got this cable: Apple® Component A/V Cable $49.99
    Model: MB128LL/A | Catalog #: 12-400 and it say to connect with dock (does not work). I only got this to work( no color, just Black/white picture with sound).

Here my connection:

_______red
    _____________| (audio)
    iPhone 2.0 Pwned---------------| |_______white
    |
    |________________ Green (video)

Blue/red not used.

Am I doing something wrong?

Unlock & PWNED!8gig iPhone 2.1
    Carrier|AT&T-AIS|TRUE
    MacBook|2.4GHZ|4gig RAM|120gig HDD

Thanks

Im assuming it has five leads out black and white are audio and the blue,green,and red are composite which is your video and you need all 3 of those connected for the video to display....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpoosua View Post
    Ok, I've got this cable: Apple® Component A/V Cable $49.99
    Model: MB128LL/A | Catalog #: 12-400 and it say to connect with dock (does not work). I only got this to work( no color, just Black/white picture with sound).

Here my connection:

_______red
    _____________| (audio)
    iPhone 2.0 Pwned---------------| |_______white
    |
    |________________ Green (video)

Blue/red not used.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Sounds like you're using the component cables with a composite usage tv. You need to purchase the composite cables (Red + White (Right and Left Audio) + Yellow (Video) for your set up.

The component splits the video between the Blue/Red/Green cables to get better quality video.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was just wondering if I can use this cabe to use my iPhone as Steve Jobs does at the "Apple Keynote" events.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

most of the AV cables i've looked up on ebay are not compatible with 3.0...anyone know if there are any coming out for 3.0? no way in hell i'm paying apple 50 bucks for a freakin cable.

Thanks

I went ahead and bought the apple cable. Two actually. One a/v for my truck. And a component for my home. The setup in my truck is pretty dope. I've got it running into my Pioneer DVD/nav/av reciever. Letting me output audio and video to the pioneer monitor. To get it to charge in my truck I bought a 12v cigarette lighter to USB adapter and rigged it up inside the dashboard. Ran the device connector out just under the ac vent and got a ac vent mount for my iPhone. The only wire you see is the 3 or so inches that plugs into my phone. I used to have a PAC branded cable hooked up in my truck but it sounded like crap, didn't charge my iPhone 3G/GS, and didn't output video to the monitor. With the apple cable I never have to worry that the next software update from Apple with render my cable useless. Just have to worry about my jailbreak!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hey guys, Looks like our Chinese brothers over in Asia did the work for us.

After much frustration with 3.0 messing up my iPhone 3G's DX cables (which worked fine on 2.2.1), I decided to go looking on eBay.

I bought one that was labeled both "ORIGINAL" and "iPHONE 3GS" from Hong Kong for $19.99 shipped! Although it says "original," I'm a bit doubtful of that, I really don't think it's OEM. That said, and most importantly, the cables WORK!!! Also, the build-quality is quite nice! I doubt the casual observer would even notice they're not real.

In my opinion, $19.99 & a week or two of waiting beats paying Apple $50 for some damn cables just so we can listen/watch
    OUR music/movies in the way we want to!!

Oh yeah a few tips:
    • They do not come with a charger.
    • None of that pretty packaging you'd get from Apple (no box, mine came in a bubble wrapped envelope)
    • Be careful not to confuse COMPONENT (Red, Green, Blue + Red, White) with COMPOSITE outputs
      (Red, White, Yellow)
    Last edited by JohnnyGlock; 08-24-2009 at 12:06 PM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It is really good to know about AV cables improvement. I think the cable need to be more longer too. I am facing problem with it's length.
    mod/edit links removed