Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone have an earphone reccomendation?

Default Anyone have an earphone reccomendation?
    I am looking for some good headphones/earbuds, since the ones that come with the Iphone suck (they don't fit well in my ears).

I am looking to spend $45 or less, anyone have any recommendations?

By the way I was thinking of these:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...M9394G%2FC

But it isn't clear to me if they work on the iPhone or not. I've never had an Ipod so I don't know if its the same or what.

Thanks.
    Last edited by thehitmanguava; 11-07-2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

those headphones should work fine. I don't believe that the jack for the headphones on the iPods have changed at all. the only reason the iPhone isn't listed there is probably because it doesn't have a microphone on it.

I realize you said 45$ or under so here's a link to some good reviews in that price range.
    http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-budget/under-40/

If you can find some change in your sofa, I recommend looking at these:
    http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-budget/40-80/ (at least the first 2)

The ratings are respective to those in the same budget, if that wasn't clear.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to adriankeith For This Useful Post:

thehitmanguava (11-08-2007)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't believe that the jack for the headphones on the iPods have changed at all. the only reason the iPhone isn't listed there is probably because it doesn't have a microphone on it.
    the standard (3.5mm i think) headphone jack has not been changed but a VERY annoying lil metal "blocker" thing...of sorts... is on the iphone. basically unless the actual metal part of the headphone jack is abnormally long or the rest of the jack (ie the hard plastic) is small enough to fit...the headphones wont get all the way into the iphones jack.

the only way ive been able to test if headphones work with the iphone is to actually test them in the store.
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.

Dangit how lame....

Well I'll be sure to test them in the Apple store then.

I bought some foam ear covers for the Apple iphone earbuds from Radio Shack. It works well, but after awhile it wears out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kys For This Useful Post:

thehitmanguava (11-14-2007)

Personally, I don't like the Apple in-ear headphones. I had a pair and stopped using them after a few months.

Any standard mini jack headphones should work, provided you make sure the plug isn't too fat to fit into the recessed area on the top.

The addition of the clicker/microphone on the Apple iPhone headset required some changing to the actual plug. But I can't imagine they made the jack incompatible with standard non-microphone headsets.
    cash removed my sig of a donation link.

http://smokebubbles.wordpress.com
    "Brewin' and 'quein' since last Tuesday."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThinkandDrive For This Useful Post:

Thanks

try www.rivetnow.com and click on the iphone stereo headset tab. Another MMi member recommended these to me. They are better than the stock set of earphones; the cords aren't made of rubber, but a kind-of old-style nylon-ish shoelace material, so it doesn't fray, and you wear it as a lanyard; the cords make a loop that goes over your head and then into your ear, so they can't fall out. The plugs are good at blocking out the ambient sound around you, so you can avoid listening to people who talk about bebo and myspace on the bus.

Edit: AND it has a mic and clicker. Rather cheap too, very fast int'l delivery, I waited 3 days, 2 of those days were weekends
    Last edited by dale1v; 11-09-2007 at 02:58 PM. Reason: one more thing
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

Honestly, I bought the Sony Fontopia MDR-EX51LP, and they are awesome. If you like Bass, you'll love em'. Also, they go for ~ $39.99 USD. Not bad? Actually, @ [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-EX51LP-Fontopia-Headphones/dp/B000095SB6/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b/103-0331376-9127025]Amazon.com[/ame] they are only $25.99 USD!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Imahottguy For This Useful Post:

I've modded my Apple ones by replacing the buds and I'm very happy.
    I killed some time, made something useful and finally found use for the stock iPhone headphones. Not to mention, saved a few bucks.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Emir S. For This Useful Post:

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Rivet Rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    try www.rivetnow.com and click on the iphone stereo headset tab. Another MMi member recommended these to me. They are better than the stock set of earphones; the cords aren't made of rubber, but a kind-of old-style nylon-ish shoelace material, so it doesn't fray, and you wear it as a lanyard; the cords make a loop that goes over your head and then into your ear, so they can't fall out. The plugs are good at blocking out the ambient sound around you, so you can avoid listening to people who talk about bebo and myspace on the bus.

Edit: AND it has a mic and clicker. Rather cheap too, very fast int'l delivery, I waited 3 days, 2 of those days were weekends
    I am going to co-sign on these. I got these today and after 3 hours of straight use, i have to say these are WAY better than stock earbuds and very good in general. Great sound, good bass (even with Eq off). Cant go wrong with these honestly.

Rippey

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mrrippey For This Useful Post:

dale1v: I'm glad you liked them! I still use them all the time. Here is a direct link...

http://www.rivetnow.com/home/file/pr...e_Headset.html

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunga For This Useful Post:

the ones at rivetnow.com look good but the mic looks too big for my taste. Personally i think the best solution is to mod the stock earphones

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollow Ichigo For This Useful Post:

I had the same question a few weeks ago.
    I spent some time looking around an on the recommendation of a friend I bought a pair of UB7 Ultimate Buds Apple / Etymotic ER6i :

http://www.ultimatebuds.com/store/home.php

I had them shipped from the US to Europe.
    They werent cheap (even without the shipping costs).

They come with a number of different types of flanged tips that ensure a good fit. Make sure you try them all as they can REALLY make a difference to the sound. The first tips I tried made me wish I hadnt spent so much money, but I soon found a better fitting pair of tips and the sound was EXCELLENT.

The earphones are made for the iPhone and so have microphone and control button. In fact, what they do is to take Apple earphones, cut off the earphones and splice on their own.

I think they even have a service where youcan save money by sending them your own apple earphones and they will replace the original earphones with their own.

To summarise, the sounds is great and I think worth the elevated cost.

Thanks

the ones from rivet broke not too long ago....good thing for a 2 year warranty. I get a replacement either on Friday or Monday. Quality was good though. Skullcandy headphones and earphones deliver the best sound and bass I've ever heard. A mini woofer and vibration feature makes bass sound and feel totally awesome. These are a must if you don't mind not having a mic and using a earphone jack adapter. Again. I'm using my iPhone to type this so I can't give you a link, (no copy and paste) but, type "skullcandy headphones" in google. I used a friend's pair of these, and they are definitely on my Christmas list.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    the ones from rivet broke not too long ago....good thing for a 2 year warranty. I get a replacement either on Friday or Monday. Quality was good though. Skullcandy headphones and earphones deliver the best sound and bass I've ever heard. A mini woofer and vibration feature makes bass sound and feel totally awesome. These are a must if you don't mind not having a mic and using a earphone jack adapter. Again. I'm using my iPhone to type this so I can't give you a link, (no copy and paste) but, type "skullcandy headphones" in google. I used a friend's pair of these, and they are definitely on my Christmas list.
    I can vouch for SkullCandy as I've owned quite a few pairs in the last few years.
    They are amazing, great bass response (not just deep but crisp), and they are cheap in terms of sound/quality to price.

I currently have the FMJ (full metal jacket 11mm) and have given up my shures for them.

Sadly they can't be taken apart for modding as the wires and back part of buds are coated/dipped in resin so I use my modded Apple/JVC for everyday use.

Also, if you have a razor blade handy, you dont need the adapter as the jack has some extra meat on it.
    Just trim it like I have and they will fit without any issues.