+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: External battery? Help me decide...

is a discussion within the

Accessory Review

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
So after about half a day of heavy use my iPhone battery starts to give out. This can obviously be very aggravating when I don't have access to a charger.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default External battery? Help me decide...
    So after about half a day of heavy use my iPhone battery starts to give out. This can obviously be very aggravating when I don't have access to a charger. For this reason I've been looking for a good external battery for the iPhone.

My two requirements are that it connects via a cable (I don't want one that hooks directly to my phone because i like my current case) and I also do not want a battery pack that uses AA or AAA batteries.

My biggest concern is compatablilty issues. I would hate to spend $50 on a battery and it not even work with my phone!

Here are a couple of ones I have found already

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/APC-UPB10-Mobile-charging-devices/dp/B000GBN42E/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207379421& sr=8-6"]Amazon.com: APC UPB10 Mobile Power Pack for charging mobile devices: Electronics[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/iphone-ipod-lithium-External-battery/dp/B000YOXTHI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_8?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=120737 9112&sr=8-8"]Amazon.com: iphone, ipod lithium External battery pack: Everything Else[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/MACALLY-External-Battery-all-iPods/dp/B000CGG8LW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_10?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207379 421&sr=8-10"]Amazon.com: MACALLY External Battery for all iPods: Electronics[/ame]

I'm leaning towards the first one, but the only issue is that you need to push a button every 20 mins to keep it charging. Could get annoying fast but I wouldn't know until I messed around with it.

So does anyone have any input on the topic? Or perhaps suggestions for other options? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Robbie

Thanks

I dont know if you bought one yet but when i was in IRAQ i bought a BELKIN "Back-up Battery Pack" for my 60GB IPOD Video and it works pretty good on both my IPod and my IPhone. i think the price was abit higher than the ones your lookin at and its also abit thicker. it runs off of 4 AA batteries.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iBlade's Avatar
    Thanks

I made my own for the cost of 4 AA rechargeable batteries and a battery holder case with switch and two resistors. Used 2200 mA one's and that allows me to recharge the phone almost 1.5 times. Total cost 15 bucks. The resistors you need to trick the iphone into charging.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

robbienakata (04-19-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I recommend the third battery from Macally, I have it and have used it on my ipod touch and it does an excellent job, I can fully recharge my ipod at the same speed with the charger, plus the battery itself gets charged with an usb charger. It has an on/off switch when its not in use. I can get about 3-4 fully charges on the touch depending on how low the battery is. The only downside is that it takes like 5 hours to fully charge the battery if its empty.

here is some reviews on the battery, that's also the place where I bought it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16855998033
    Last edited by mariotheotaku; 04-09-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: URL added

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBlade View Post
    I made my own for the cost of 4 AA rechargeable batteries and a battery holder case with switch and two resistors. Used 2200 mA one's and that allows me to recharge the phone almost 1.5 times. Total cost 15 bucks. The resistors you need to trick the iphone into charging.
    pics please? I might want to try this

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aiyo View Post
    pics please? I might want to try this
    Here you go. With this you can just use your usb cabel to connect to the phone. You could also cut a usb cable to any lengh you want and use it that way. I did it like this so I can charge anything that runs of 5 volts and uses usb. If you need any further help, let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails External battery? Help me decide...-img_0110.jpg   External battery? Help me decide...-img_0111.jpg   External battery? Help me decide...-img_0112.jpg   External battery? Help me decide...-img_0113.jpg  
    Last edited by iBlade; 04-10-2008 at 11:15 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

drogie (04-13-2008), Projectile (05-02-2008), robbienakata (04-19-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

You think you could draw a wiring diagram including those resistors?

iPhone? More like MyPhone gavko's Avatar
    Thanks

try this http://www.robotification.com/content/view/22/ looks pretty much same...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Doesnt have any information on the resistors that allow it to work with an iphone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBlade View Post
    Here you go. With this you can just use your usb cabel to connect to the phone. You could also cut a usb cable to any lengh you want and use it that way. I did it like this so I can charge anything that runs of 5 volts and uses usb. If you need any further help, let me know.
    Are you keeping any other secrets from us ...

You should try to build some and sell them on eBay. I'll be your first customer .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96hondaex View Post
    Are you keeping any other secrets from us ...

You should try to build some and sell them on eBay. I'll be your first customer .
    Sorry guys, did not want to hold out on you. But I was riding my new Bike a Hyosung GT250R all day. Anyway I just drew up something for you. It is really simple and easy. If you need any further help just ask. You can use any case that holds 4 AA batteries. You need 2 resistors each 470 kOhm and any female USB cable. This way you can charge anything that needs 5 Volt. The resistors you need to trick the iphone to accept the charge. Here is also a site that shows the pinout for USB.
    http://www.pc-control.co.uk/usb%20pinout.htm

But be carefull guys, don't damage your phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails External battery? Help me decide...-img_0117.jpg  

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

ajrulez (04-30-2008), Rivest (05-03-2008), robbienakata (04-13-2008), sos11 (05-19-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok thanks I'll give this a try sometime this week if I can find the time. Couple questions though, could the 6v supplied by the 4 AA batteries potentially damage the iPhone because usb's typically output 5v? Would it be safer to use only 3 AA batteries with a total of 4.5v?

Thanks

Well I would not recommend regular batteries, as they have like you correctly said 1.5 v and that makes 6 v. I use rechargeable, they have 1.2 and 4.8 v is no problem plus when they are fully charged you get about 5-5.2v. You could of course also 5v voltage regulator and then use reg. batteries, but it will be more costly in the end. In the old days AA rechargeable batteries had only 500mA, so alkaline batt lasted longer, but these days you get over 2000mA. Good luck.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

robbienakata (04-19-2008)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Okay I'll take that into consideration. One more thing though, could you charge the rechargeable batteries in the device if you plugged in a powered usb cable? or is there more involved in the charging process than just that? Sorry I know very little about the topic...

Thanks

No problem, I don't know everything either. I wish I could write apps. Anyway, yes you could charge them but I'll have to find a male to male usb cable since you got female on both sides.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well i got everything i would need from radioshack today, but somehow managed to lose the resistors between there and my house... Don't know what happened there... But i could not find any 470 kOhm resistors only 470 Ohm ones. Is that what you meant to say?

Thanks

No no no, please be careful. 470 kOhm means 470 kiloOhm meaning 470.000 Ohm. See here:
    http://www.dannyg.com/examples/res2/resistor.htm
    The two pins in the middle are ttl serial data pins and can only handle 3.3v but you are charging with 5v so you have to reduce the voltage. 470ohm would not do that for you, you can damage the phone. You can use something close to 470kOhm 420-510kOhm will work. Remember going to low damage, to high phone will not accept charge.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Okay good thing I lost those resistors then! Well Im not too confident in my electronics and I've been meaning to buy one of those boxwave adapter thingies anyways to work a couple chargers I have. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks for all your help!

http://www.boxwave.com/products/ipho...phone_2661.htm

Thanks

You're welcome. The boxwave adapter looks alright, at least it is easier.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Okay got my adapter today. Everything works great. I'd post pictures but it looks pretty identical to yours. Thanks for all your help!