+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: APN Editor for iOS 6.1 (in HIGH demand with proliferation of MVNOs like Straight Talk)

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
Hi all, I'm new to the forums here (and also pretty new to jailbreaking). One of the reasons I jailbroke was to be able to edit the APN settings of
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default APN Editor for iOS 6.1 (in HIGH demand with proliferation of MVNOs like Straight Talk)
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forums here (and also pretty new to jailbreaking). One of the reasons I jailbroke was to be able to edit the APN settings of my iPhone 4S without having to use a complicated technique called the "T-Mobile SIM Swap." It works fine--it's just annoying to carry around a T-Mobile SIM just for this reason.

I believe there would be high demand for a cheap/free tweak that opens up the Cellular Data Network menu in General->Cellular. There are apps/tweaks that do this (TetherMe and APN Editing), but TetherMe is very full-featured and $5 (I don't need to tether or set up a personal hotspot), and APN Editing I believe is incompatible with iOS 6.

Hope this comes into being! Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is APN Edit

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can't seem to install "APN Editing", the app on the Big Boss repo (ModMyi.com | APN Editing), if that's the package you're talking about. I can't seem to find "APN Edit" anywhere. It downloads, then after two "Configuring APN Editing" lines, says

(x) subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
    (x) Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1).

Then when I hit "Return to Cydia", Cydia warns me of a "Half-Installed Package", says that "When the shell scripts associated with packages fail, they are left in a bad state known as either half-configured or half-installed. These errors don't go away and instead continue to cause issues. These scripts can be deleted and the packages forcibly removed." I get the option to either "Ignore (Temporary)" or "Forcibly Clear (Unsafe)". I've been saying Ignore, and then removing the package, but just now I tried to respring and then went into settings. The cellular data network APN settings don't appear.

I figure it might be an app that just hasn't been updated for iOS 6? Thoughts?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I purchased tetherme yesterday because I use straight talk and needed to edit APN settings. Worked fine on 4S 6.1 . Only after I purchased it, did I realize there was a free option. I used it to fix a different phone today, and it works with 6.1 Add the repo: beta.leimobile.com/repo . App is called EditAPN.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That works great. Thanks so much!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Another way to accomplish this is to use activator. You virtually have to use it with most Cydia tweaks/apps anyhow. In Activator, you can set any kind of specific gesture to do or open any sort of thing the momment you do it. For instance if I wanted to open my Facebook app every time I shook my phone, activator allows me to do that. If I wanted to go to the setting for wi-fi every time I slide my finger upward on the screen, activator makes that possible. A similar process can be added for what you want to accomplish; however the farthest you'd be able to get is straight into general with one quick gesture, which is a hell of a lot faster than closing your current app, finding settings, and such and such. Who knows, you might actually be able to find a way to go straight to cellular through this method. Good Luck!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thegazelle View Post
    I purchased tetherme yesterday because I use straight talk and needed to edit APN settings. Worked fine on 4S 6.1 . Only after I purchased it, did I realize there was a free option. I used it to fix a different phone today, and it works with 6.1 Add the repo: beta.leimobile.com/repo . App is called EditAPN.
    thanks for the app advice it works great! I did an alternative method that's a bit slower then yours but works on none jailbroken phones..
    if you got a mac you can download this app here iPhone Configuration Utility 3.5 for Mac OS X you can then use it to generate your own profile and attach your own apn settings to it (you cant however change the mms settings)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

APNs are fine. How about MMS settings? How to get to that>