Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 WEB connectivity indicator (not network connectivity)

Default iPhone 4 WEB connectivity indicator (not network connectivity)
    Hi,

Trying to find a web connectivity indicator for iPhone 4. Not having any luck.

iphones come with a network activity indicator and/or network signal strength indicator, however, this is NOT the same as web connectivity.

On my PC, the network signal can be full strength (i.e., connection to the router is strong) but there's no internet. In that case, on the PC, there's a yellow exclamation mark in front of the network indicator bars .

That way I know it's connected to the network but no internet/web.

I haven't found this for my iphone anywhere.

Amazingly, even on the apple website, it states that the network indicator tells you the signal strength for internet.

This is not correct. It tells you strength connected to the network, not necessarily internet (web) connectivity.

I've seen some websites say that the rotating data indicator tells you if data is being transferred, which also means you are connected. This is also not true. You can go to a website and the data indicator will rotate but if you aren't connected to the internet, data can't be transferred and data indicator will rotate for a long time.

So, a simple, basic indicator of when I don't have internet/web similar to what Windows on my PC does (sorry, not a Mac user so not sure what Mac tells you if you have no web connectivity).

Thanks much.

Sean

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

i know that, when using a WiFi, Upon looking in to the Network Settings you will see an IP address ONLY if there is a network connection.
    Though this may only be my own Router
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Hi.

Thanks for the try but nope.

IP is given when connected to the router even if no Internet available.

I'm amazed I havent been able to find other forum conversations on this.

The search continues....