Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Compressing apps

Default Compressing apps
    I know full well that the chances are what I'm about to request is impossible, and even if it's not, I imagine it would be really hard to do so I won't be surprised if nobody wants to make this!

Also, before anybody posts, I know full well that there is a difference between normal memory and RAM, but there's no denying that my iPod (pre-jailbreak) was a lot faster when it didn't have 700 songs and a load of apps filling up the memory

This tweak would be aimed at (but not limited to) people who have low RAM on their device, and therefore have a lot of apps crashing on them. Although things like SBSettings have option to disable tweaks affecting the mobile substrate, this is often not a simple way to save RAM on a temporary basis due to how much we love our tweaks and the constant need to respring when they are de/re-activated.

Therefore, I was wondering if it would be possible to create an tweak which compressed app files to save memory and theoretically speed up any device. For example, I have quite a few games on my device (as I'm sure many do) and although I don't play them very often, I don't want to completely uninstall them! I would love the ability to compress them down to as small as possible for 90% of the time in order to speed up my device, but then be able to extract them out to their previous state when I fancied playing them (obviously this wouldnt be limited to games, things like unused stock apps etc. could go in too)

What are your thoughts on this? would anybody else find this useful, and is anybody intrested in developing this further if it's even possible?

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Would be awesome, but I don't think it's possible

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Thanks

Loved the idea, but we all know that not everything is possible in practical world.

I know :/ You can manaully compress them in iFile, but I'm pretty sure that would mean that, when extracted, they had to be reinstalled... I'd also assume this would lead to a loss of data, probably making it fairly useless overall anyway! Oh well, I might look into it oneday if I ever learn anything about coding

Thanks

It's possible, but more complicated than you may think. And if you want to do it runtime with MobileSubstrate, it would actually considerably slow down the device when launching an app.

Quote Originally Posted by Aehmlo View Post
    It's possible, but more complicated than you may think. And if you want to do it runtime with MobileSubstrate, it would actually considerably slow down the device when launching an app.
    How come? I would have a separate app interface which would initiate compression/extraction, so I wouldn't make it always happen to chosen apps automatically when opened or closed. What would make it slow down when opening?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by butler007 View Post
    How come? I would have a separate app interface which would initiate compression/extraction, so I wouldn't make it always happen to chosen apps automatically when opened or closed. What would make it slow down when opening?
    So you don't want it done runtime? What, then, are you trying to achieve?

Just trying to save some memory most of the time so the device runs faster. If things I'm not using or planning to use for a while are compressed, then I should see the benefits. The time i'd save in day-to-day tasks would outweigh the time spent having to re-extract things on the odd occasion I wanted to use them.

Thanks

Ok, then that should be pretty easy. Could also move to system partition when not in use if there's space available. Only problem is, I'm not sure how much compression you'd be able to get. Probably not much difference. If you really want, I'll add this to my to-do list, but it seems trivial.

Thanks

It's up to you if you don't think it would be worth it then don't worry too much, you seem pretty busy at the moment! Out of interest, would it be possible to use symlinks to dropbox for apps, saving space on the device but making them only usable when iI have internet access?
    Maybe, but it'd be a bit of a pain. Not to mention the questionable legality.

Quote Originally Posted by Aehmlo View Post
    Not to mention the questionable legality.
    That's true, although as long as I'm not putting them into any shared files and it's solely for personal use then I think I'd be ok... I've got a terminal script that duplicates apps, so I may try duplicating something (so I don't mess up the original!) and then trying to make it run from dropbox. I'll let you know how it goes?

Also, mods, if something about this is crossing the line a bit then I apologize, and please remove the post!

Thanks

I'll let you know how it goes?
    Sure