Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Custom cloud storage for apps? Willing developer wanted. :)

Hoping a developer sees this and likes the idea enough to develop something out of this. It would be a jailbreak specific app of course.

Would it be difficult to make an app/tweak that does cloud storage for chosen/selected apps? Apples iCloud offers iCloud storage for documents so you can say for example, play a game on iPad, then pick up and continue on your iPhone. My main reason for wanting this is to be able to have emulator saves backup to the cloud, so I can do just like in the example with Mario,Zelda, sonic, etc. I assume iCloud probably has restrictions so I doubt files that weren't AppStore approved could be used, but let's say have them saved to Dropbox?

Anyone know If this would be difficult in task? Like I said my main reason is for emulation/gaming purposes, but I can imagine this being useful with many other apps as well.

For those interested, my thought could be an app that lists currently installed apps, then from there u can choose what files get saved when app is in use. To even further customize, you could be able to choose a specific folder, or give the user the option of adding custom extensions to save to the cloud, for example if the user wanted only .bin files within that folder saved, or even "example.bin" for that matter.

This could effectively make any app cloud saving enabled.

any interested devs would be awesome. thanks.

Before anyone beats me to it, I just found DataDeposit on Cydia, which is similar to what I'm requesting, however it seems to be limited to AppStore apps, as no other apps were detected, plus it doesn't look at customizable as what I'm hoping for. Nice to see I'm not the first one with the idea though lol.
    Last edited by unvaluablespace; 05-27-2012 at 10:20 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Try realbackup. Google it, as I am not sure if I am allowed to link to other forums, and don't want to risk getting in trouble (I was just on chance looking through the forums, I don't post much). The one that is relating to whited00r is it.

Looked it up on whited00r repo, but can not find it when I search in cydia. Based on the YouTube video I saw of it though I don't quite think its what I'm looking for. Command line based it looks like, plus I don't think it actually backs up just any file specified.

ok so i just found the developers repo for realbackup and it refuses to install (both the realbackup and realbackup beta) because cydia says "cannot comply - depends iOS Firmware<5.0" which i assume is because it only works on older firmwares, since whited00r is mainly for 3g and older devices. so I doubt it does what I actually want. plus i would like this to be a separate app so iCloud does not get messed with on the iOS device at all, so it can still do its backups, etc. what I'm looking for is basically something that works in similar to iclouds app backup feature that allows a user to play a game say on there iPad, and then be able to continue and pick up where they left off on there phone, other iPad, or whatever iOS device, in the same concept as iclouds app backup feature, but as a custom designed app to be able to choose what saves, files, etc, get transferred to a cloud, from the app(s) of your choosing. so basically to enable iClouds app backup feature for any chosen app.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I like that idea you really should contact the developer, he is quite friendly, and I think he would be willing to try and work with you to put these features into his app (he has helped me on numerous occasions ).

Thanks. You've sold me! I was planning on emailing him anyway lol, I just held off to see what replies on here would be like, and his repo didn't look like he had updated anything in awhile. Hopefully he likes the idea