+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anti-Speeding ticket App?

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
I'm sure something like this is possible, I wouldn't know where to start with it though. Things, I'd want to see in something like this: -Camera (video/still image) -Speedometer (uses
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Anti-Speeding ticket App?
    I'm sure something like this is possible, I wouldn't know where to start with it though.

Things, I'd want to see in something like this:
    -Camera (video/still image)
    -Speedometer (uses GPS or something, not sure how they work)
    -GPS Tracking

This is an example situation where something like this may come in handy. You're going the speed limit (i.e. 65 in a 65), you get pulled over, the cop says you were going 75-80mph. Now, obviously you didn't do anything wrong, the cop was just bored, but you have no way to prove it, and you get a $200 fine with points on your license.

Now here's the same situation with this app going. (Also assuming your iPhone is in a dashboard or something similar). Before you leave to go to work, you hook up your iPhone and open Anti-Speeding ticket App (ASTA), now you leave. You look in your rear-view, see flashing lights, ASTA is reporting you're going 65, your car's speedometer saying the same thing, tap a button on your screen, it will record Time, Date, Speed, GPS location and take a picture. (or can set it to record video before you leave?). So now, when you plea not guilty, you have evidence from this app.

Maybe something to prevent tampering of data, have this information be automatically uploaded to a secure server and have users have to create accounts.

If any developers do take this idea, I'd also recommend talking to a lawyer first to make sure something like this could be used as evidence for you. Seems possible to do, sounds like it would fit right into app store guidelines.

It's a good idea in my head. But what do the rest of you think?

Thanks

That's a really interesting app idea, no doubt. It'd be nice to kind a have a comeback tool against the cop (unless you argue and then find out you really were speeding, then you're double screwed over).

The only downsides I see are the constant strain it would put on the iPhone, data and especially battery wise. It will take a lot to do a constant feed of speedometer video and the rest of the speed info. Then for people on limited data plans, an app like this wouldn't be wise.

Definitely cool in concept though! Then again, it'd be kind of difficult to use this app against a cop, as the chance that they'll pull you over for fun is pretty slim (hasn't happened to me yet).

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sounds like a good idea! I wouldn't know where to start creating it though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

the tom tom app should do this. it has a speed limit alert and gps..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dotFIVE View Post
    That's a really interesting app idea, no doubt. It'd be nice to kind a have a comeback tool against the cop (unless you argue and then find out you really were speeding, then you're double screwed over).

The only downsides I see are the constant strain it would put on the iPhone, data and especially battery wise. It will take a lot to do a constant feed of speedometer video and the rest of the speed info. Then for people on limited data plans, an app like this wouldn't be wise.

Definitely cool in concept though! Then again, it'd be kind of difficult to use this app against a cop, as the chance that they'll pull you over for fun is pretty slim (hasn't happened to me yet).

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Yeah, that's true, definitely a strain on the battery. I guess since I use an iPod car dock that wouldn't effect me. Maybe just a small button press it would record the time, date, speed, etc.

And, hasn't happened to me or anyone I know, this idea would be more of a slim chance 'just in case' thing.