+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: two useful tweaks

is a discussion within the

3rd Party Apps Requests

forums, a part of the

3rd Party Apps For iPhone | iPod Touch

section;
i dont know if these exist or not, but 2 useful tweaks i'd like to see are: 1 - no password for app store free downloads or updates 2 -
    Thanks

Default two useful tweaks
    i dont know if these exist or not, but 2 useful tweaks i'd like to see are:

1 - no password for app store free downloads or updates
    2 - MMS video not to be compressed

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Yes. It's dumb to have to enter in your password, over and over again, just for free download/updates.

Thanks

also would like to see ability to get magnifying glass for texts for clipboard.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The only reason you have to put in your password on "free" apps is to attach the app "purchase" to your AppleID.

Why? -> It's just the way the AppStore works.

There is no way to get around this unless you want your phone to save your password and type it in for you (serious security hole that I wouldn't touch.)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by herschwolf View Post
    The only reason you have to put in your password on "free" apps is to attach the app "purchase" to your AppleID.

There is no way to get around this unless you want your phone to save your password and type it in for you (serious security hole that I wouldn't touch.)
    Mobile Safari, Mail, and other apps, including the desktop iTunes save your passwords. Why is this any different/more special?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Personally, I don't save my passwords in my webbrowser, email to many isn't as critical cause I don't store personal info in there, but more importantly it would require someone I don't know to create a 'bypass' to use my purchasing authorization whenever it felt like it. Call me paranoid, but I don't just hand my credit card to anyone that says they won't use it, they will just hold it and pull it back out only when I need it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    There's always a tradeoff between security and convenience, but considering that most people pretty much sleep with their iPhones, I would say that they're more worried about someone holding (or being separated from) their Precious than they are about having their password fall into the wrong hands. Assuming that the password was dotted out, it's unlikely that the evildoers would be able to do much with it other than try to buy a few fart apps and download it to your iPhone. Most people use weak passwords anyway, and the password problems that people have had with iTunes usually resulted from a phishing attack, rather than some nefarious hacker using a trojan horse or keylogging software to obtain the password. Considering that people give their credit cards to complete strangers, everyday, and trust them with that information (as in buying, well, pretty much anything), it isn't a stretch to imagine that people at least should have the choice to have the password automatically available and filled in for FREE DOWNLOADS. Surely Apple (or a third-party developer) could develop a script that can distinguish between free and purchased apps, and require different authentication for each type of transaction? No question you have different security concerns than I do, but being overly concerned with something that has a very low probability of happening, is, as you put it, paranoid.

Thanks

does anyone know if there's something to prevent mms videos from being compressed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by herschwolf View Post

+1
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulight View Post
    Mobile Safari, Mail, and other apps, including the desktop iTunes save your passwords. Why is this any different/more special?
    Because there aren't credit cards attached to those apps, and the likelihood of you leaving your desktop computer in a bar is pretty low. Why is this so hard to understand?
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadomon View Post
    Because there aren't credit cards attached to those apps, and the likelihood of you leaving your desktop computer in a bar is pretty low. Why is this so hard to understand?
    I don't save my credit card information in iTunes, and we're talking about FREE UPDATES to apps you've already paid for, not purchasing new apps, which I acknowledge should prompt you for a password. Additionally, if you do save your credit card on the desktop iTunes, it doesn't prompt you for your password either when you're purchasing or updating your apps on the desktop. ("Desktop iTunes" added for the second time, echoing the post you quoted, since you're reading comprehension skills require multiple repeats in order to properly register.) Finally, people leave, or have their laptops (yes, most people now use laptops; "desktop" refers to all the forms of computers that have non-iOS iTunes installed) stolen, and they frequently leave them lying around where anybody can easily access it, not to mention their passwords usually revolve around the easiest iteration of (you guessed it!) "password" or "myname123". iTunes security, until very recently, was ridiculously easy to bypass with simple phishing attacks that only required the person's email address and their less-than-full DOB. Nothing frickin' else, and very easy information to acquire. If you don't believe me, Google "iTunes Fraud" and read up on the stories of the many, many people who were victims of Apple's oh-so-convenient, but ridiculously lax security procedures usually common in most financial fraud detection systems. When someone illegally accesses your account you usually get notified, but in in Apple's case, they liked to "Think different"; it ended up that most illegal attempts to access your account were virtually undetectable, not only because of Apple compiling purchases into weekly allotments/receipts, but also because whenever anyone authorizes a computer for downloads/purchases, or changes your account information, you weren't notified. What Apple is essentially doing is encouraging people to use easy to remember passwords, which is not a good way to increase security for financial transactions. So, again, how is prompting me for my password at this point going to solve the other problems associated with iTunes fraud? Oh, yes, right, cause if I don't give my password, someone might update my apps, or something.

Why is this so hard for you to understand? Perhaps it's because you didn't read my prior posts, and your thinking cap momentarily fell off. Perhaps you don't understand complexity, or that some people have different needs or approaches to how they handle sensitive data. Perhaps you fell into the trap of believing that "This is the way Apple does it, it must be best, so why bother jailbreaking/doing it differently?" If you're going to be condescending, at least make an effort to think before you post so you come off sounding less like a idiot with the "Yo, bro! +1" and "Why don't you get what I fail to understand myself?" approach.

Thanks

Funny, iTunes on my phone asks me for my password even when I update apps. I also was forced to input some sort of payment info when I set up my iTunes account, even though I pretty much only download free apps. Not sure how you did it.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

Thanks

You sound like a real sweetheart, by the way.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

For no compressed mms, carriers have limit to mms size so If it's too big, it won't send. Also, the chances of someone taking ur iPhone and downloading a bunch of apps on it is unlikely..I mean how many people even have time to sit there and do all that knowing that they don't profit from it? Only kids...
    Last edited by Waleed786; 11-14-2010 at 07:37 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Funny, iTunes on my phone asks me for my password even when I update apps. I also was forced to input some sort of payment info when I set up my iTunes account, even though I pretty much only download free apps. Not sure how you did it.
    Hit "None" for your payment options. You can always delete the info. after you buy apps.

Create an iTunes App Store account without a credit card

You sound like a real sweetheart, by the way.
    You should see how I am on Valentine's Day. They have to hire an extra guy at the PO just to handle all the cards and candy I send.
    Last edited by blissfulight; 11-14-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost