Results 1 to 6 of 6

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: GPS tester

  1. #1
    Default GPS tester
    Along the same vein as Signal, I could use an app to test the GPS signal. I have a feeling it's not working properly but something that could tell me which satelites it's got, strength etc.

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone slavipz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Posts
    115
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Along the same vein as Signal, I could use an app to test the GPS signal. I have a feeling it's not working properly but something that could tell me which satelites it's got, strength etc.
    Could you clarify your question... ?

  3. #3
    Sure,

    I think the Satelite part of my GPS is not working. On a garmin device I have, it can show which satelites are being picked up and also show signal strength for each one. Something similar on the iphone would be useful for me.

    Is that any clearer? The app 'Signal' can show me details of each tower it is connected to and I would like something similar for GPS.

    It's just a suggestion for a useful app for me, maybe useful for others if it was developed.

    I'm not asking a question, just suggesting/requesting an app to be made!!
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 10-19-2010 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by westonben View Post
    Sure,

    I think the Satelite part of my GPS is not working. On a garmin device I have, it can show which satelites are being picked up and also show signal strength for each one. Something similar on the iphone would be useful for me.

    Is that any clearer? The app 'Signal' can show me details of each tower it is connected to and I would like something similar for GPS.

    It's just a suggestion for a useful app for me, maybe useful for others if it was developed.

    I'm not asking a question, just suggesting/requesting an app to be made!!
    The best (and only) thing you can do, would be to compare the lat/lon and altitude values your iPhone GPS reports, with the same lat/lon/alt from a reference GPS (like your garmin) nearby.
    There's also a reported value for "horizontal accuracy" and "vertical accuracy"- but I don't know how they are computed, and if they are comparable to HDOP/VDOP at all.

    The rest of the stuff you're looking for, Apple doesn't make available through the API. Nothing you find on the AppStore is going to show information on satellites. Its remotely possible that someone could figure out a way to read raw values from the GPS chip (assuming it even reports those values through its internal firmware) but the amount of effort and hackery involved would be more than anyone reasonable would want to spend.

    You couldn't sell it in Cydia Store (for Jailbroken users)- without an inhuman level of effort, and very little recompense. And I don't believe anyone would go to that much trouble for free
    ____

    All that aside, I suspect the problem you're having may not be related to satellite reception at all. Apple provides geolocation through 'Location Services' in the API. Location Services can include- WiFi location, Cell tower triangulation, and honest-to-goodness GPS. The lat/lon you get might be.... a mix of all three. Its difficult to tell which is in use at any given time.

    IMO it shouldn't be difficult. There SHOULD be at bare minimum, a property you can read that will report which sources it's pulling its location from- but there isn't.

    99% of the time, all that an iPhone user really cares about is "Where am I?" and Location Services provides that without much fuss. For the other 1% of the time, you can also get an estimated accuracy- from Location Services too.

    the .1% of the time that you actually need low level diagnostics, Apple doesn't support or care
    Sorry!

  5. #5
    Thanks for the response.

    I tried turning off cellular data and wifi and it appears to give a better location than with cellular data turned on. So maybe I'll just have to use it with the cellular data turned off for now.

  6. #6
    Update: I found an app called MotionX GPS lite (free version) which gives some basic GPS information. Such as what you are actually using for your GPS. I can't even get it go into GPS mode so I think the GPS must be broken. Maybe I'll try a new antenae.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 10-20-2010 at 05:02 AM.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •