Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Looking for tethering software that isn't peer to peer

Question Looking for tethering software that isn't peer to peer
    I have a jailbroken 3G that I'm trying to use to tether a locked down corporate laptop. The laptop will only connect to a router based access point. It won't connect to a peer to peer (aka ad-hoc) connection, so I'm looking for tethering software available for the iPhone 3G that creates a connection that looks like it's router-based.

I've tried MiWi with no luck; it does peer to peer. All the other software I've been able to read about so far (iPhoneModem and PDANet) seem to create peer to peer connections also.

Is anyone aware of any tethering software that creates a connection that looks like a router-based access point?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What is the problem with connecting to an AD-HOC network?
    Did u try manually assigning an IP to the laptop?

DaKiller,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it will work.

It's a corporate laptop and network and wireless configuration has been taken over by third party vendor software. I can't get at the properties pages because I don't have admin rights.

I think this is your problem, cuz a router and an AD-HOC networks are pretty much the same, except the DHCP server, the servet which assings IP to the computers.

try MyWi on Rock, or enable to default tethering using 'TetherMe' on cydia.

Like A Boss

@DaKiller: Thanks. I will nose around a bit and see if there's some way to assign an ip to the laptop (despite not having admin rights).

@metaljay: 'scuse my ignorance, but is 'MiWi on Rock' different from the MiWi I already tried? I didn't see 'MiWi on Rock' as an option when I installed MiWi. I'll give TetherMe a try, too. Thanks.

MiWi is wifi/router based.

Quote Originally Posted by jelloice View Post
    'scuse my ignorance, but is 'MiWi on Rock' different from the MiWi I already tried? I didn't see 'MiWi on Rock' as an option when I installed MiWi. I'll give TetherMe a try, too. Thanks.
    You have to install MiWi from Rock installer not cydia because it requires Rock extensions. Unless you get the no rock version from other repos.
    Last edited by amsgator; 08-31-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Why not use USB tethering ? TetherMe

@stlcaddie: The laptop is locked down. I don't have admin rights and can't install the drivers needed to use USB networking.

@masgator: Thanks, I'll give MiWi on Rock a try. The MiWi I tried only created a peer to peer connection.

Well damn! The answer was in MiWi 4.0 FAQs all the time!

"Can MyWi 4.0 create an Infrastructure network instead of an Ad-Hoc?"
    "Not at this time. We are working on this!"

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.

Sorry about that . . .
    Last edited by jelloice; 08-31-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost